• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

Blasting through single player but 2 things:
1) The game is not balanced around hard, several times you have to run past fire in order to move the level in but you WILL get hit and die which is not fun...

2) Has anyone else noticed something a bit "odd" about the French Police? Like their uniforms are are very... American... so American that if you look at the shoulder badges they say they are New York Police...

Upvote 0
BF3 graphics are breathtaking.
That said, the gameplay looks like a 1:1 copy to that of BC2.

I love all the griefing videos on youtube. Especially with the 24/7 jet and heli-campers involved.
BF2 had a serious plague of those players the whole lifespan long, it's really fun to see justice be done to the jetcampers/whores in BF3.

Still wont buy it though :)

Upvote 0
What does it do exactly? I just turn it on in all games but never noticed anything:eek:
What it's supposed to do is add a bit of shadow into corners (e.g. around a closet, where it touches the rest of the level) to simulate that (reflective) light has a hard time reaching into them. Whence "ambient occlusion", because the "ambient light" can't get into corners easily.

It's usually a tad overdone in games because if you have an effect you gotta make it show, right? Anyway, apart from being a crude approximation of something that actually appears in real-life, it's also supposed to make things fit into the environment a bit more, visually, and it's supposed to increase depth perception.

Apparently it's handled via Shader and in real-time though, and it's not baked into the level or onto models as it probably should be. So you get ridiculous side-effects like a shadow-glow around weapons and characters as if they were pure evil or something. There is no explanation for this crap. It's a technical error but it seems to be in every game that features "ambient occlusion" and no one ever says anything!
If you can't get it right, leave it out!

Gamers used to curse over-used bloom, but apparently everyone is ok with the even more unrealistic, no-reason-to-be-there-at-all black version of bloom...

Upvote 0
What it's supposed to do is add a bit of shadow into corners (e.g. around a closet, where it touches the rest of the level) to simulate that (reflective) light has a hard time reaching into them. Whence "ambient occlusion", because the "ambient light" can't get into corners easily.

It's usually a tad overdone in games because if you have an effect you gotta make it show, right? Anyway, apart from being a crude approximation of something that actually appears in real-life, it's also supposed to make things fit into the environment a bit more, visually, and it's supposed to increase depth perception.

Apparently it's handled via Shader and in real-time though, and it's not baked into the level or onto models as it probably should be. So you get ridiculous side-effects like a shadow-glow around weapons and characters as if they were pure evil or something. There is no explanation for this crap. It's a technical error but it seems to be in every game that features "ambient occlusion" and no one ever says anything!
If you can't get it right, leave it out!

Gamers used to curse over-used bloom, but apparently everyone is ok with the even more unrealistic, no-reason-to-be-there-at-all black version of bloom...
Yeah I never understood why anyone would turn AO on given the way its implemented. It looks bad AND it really kills your performance.

Upvote 0
So basically from what I read the only "real" BF maps are Operation Firestorm, Caspian Border, Noshar(or whatever its called) Canals and Kharg Island. That means 5 out of 9 maps are small clustered infantry focused pos maps that pretty much everyone (on pc at least) hates and seem to be almost unplayable in 64p cq. My hopes are on Gulf of Oman and Wake Island. If they **** it up however(as in doing what they said they did with BF1942 maps in BF1943 -> make them 25% smaller to fit the "modern, faster gameplay") plus release no map making tools I'll be pretty damn pissed. In fact I wonder how Harvest day CQ/Heavy Metal from BC2 compare to the average BF3 map in terms of size/flag placement. How ridiculous would it be if was a step back even from that?

Upvote 0
So basically from what I read the only "real" BF maps are Operation Firestorm, Caspian Border, Noshar(or whatever its called) Canals and Kharg Island. That means 5 out of 9 maps are small clustered infantry focused pos maps that pretty much everyone (on pc at least) hates and seem to be almost unplayable in 64p cq. My hopes are on Gulf of Oman and Wake Island. If they **** it up however(as in doing what they said they did with BF1942 maps in BF1943 -> make them 25% smaller to fit the "modern, faster gameplay") plus release no map making tools I'll be pretty damn pissed. In fact I wonder how Harvest day CQ/Heavy Metal from BC2 compare to the average BF3 map in terms of size/flag placement. How ridiculous would it be if was a step back even from that?

I was thinking the same thing. Even tho. I'm suprised how good this game is compared to beta or alpha of BF3(a lot better, really good game infact), I coudn't stop thinking: what would Forgotten Hope 3 be on this.

Upvote 0
I was thinking the same thing. Even tho. I'm suprised how good this game is compared to beta or alpha of BF3(a lot better, really good game infact), I coudn't stop thinking: what would Forgotten Hope 3 be on this.
FH3 is a pipe dream, but a good one nevertheless. It's taken them a long time to get 3 theaters of war out the door in FH2, and I really want to see the eastern front. So even if DICE did release mod tools for BF3 (another pipe dream), I'm not sure I'd like to see them scrap everything and start again on FH3. I'd rather play an expanded and polished FH2 now than wait who-knows-how-long for their next iteration.

Reactions: Hirmuinen
Upvote 0
Ugh, I am taking a break from the single player, I've gotten to arms dealer's mansion and just gotten to the point where to have to attack the "kill house" target area, gah, I'm playing Dark Souls and its not as unfair as this bloody section! Anyone got any tips on how I dont get one shotted?

[EDIT]
I just tried MP and its unplayable due to monster lag, massive rubber banding everywhere...
:/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So I really had to think out of the box to do the kill house but now I have done the SP and you know what the kicker? Its CoD3, ya know, the game that killed off QTEs by using too many of them. I really cant think of a favourite moment of the SP, this is really odd as I liked Bad Company's single player in both games and its a irony that BF has become the thing it once mocked...

Upvote 0

From my experience so far I have been pretty disappointed with conquest. Everyone singing the games praises has said how huge the maps are. That might be true but the flags are clustered together unlike in BF2; where each corner of the map had cap point.

The game is solid, and a real nice piece of work but I would have liked to have seen more done with the conquest mode. The open maps are OK but you feel like they could have done more with them. The city maps in 64 players are a complete joke though.

When you switch to Rush you can see what they have spent most their time on. While I enjoy this kind of gameplay and the maps they have made I just wished they would have added something a little bit extra to conquest. Obviously they want the action tighter and faster paced.

Upvote 0
So im playing the inferior ps3 version and my connection with EA was already lost after my second match.
I seriously question if they did anything usefull with the beta...

With that said, the matches were fun although I sometimes get a bit disorientated in the game by the way it looks and the effects that are happening on screen.

And about the singleplayer: was it really necessary to put slow motion action or a quick time event after 5 minutes of normal shooting?
Cant say which singleplayer I find worse: BF3 or Homefront.

Upvote 0
But its not THAT epic, I do like Kharg Island but as each BF games along the maps keep on getting worse and pretty much all of the maps are meat grinder next to pure sex that was Wake Island, Gulf Of Oman and even Harvest Day in BC2...

I don't know. I had some epic firefights(which never occurs in RO2) today. We were both on rooftop and kept firing each others for like 5 minutes(long distance) both totally trying to score a kill. This has never happened in Battlefield only in Project Reality mod in BF2 and I even tried to use lame tactics like bazooking this guy. It reminds me in many ways of early PR mod only if Dice hadn't made the guns do less damage...

BF3 could be so major win if it only allowed people to create more content to it. I doubt any PC game will be on the same level as this one for next year or the year after it. I am already beginning to feel little bored with the same maps and even the new BF2 remakes are going hold my interest little, why? Because I have already played them to death on BF2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0