• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My View: "I'm an RO:Mod Vet / RO1 Vet" and How to Tame Things a Bit:

Topic was mine, and it still exists. ;)
[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=68095[/URL]

---------------------

as soon as the sdk will be release i'll start to work on my "Realistic Weapon Mod".

- Ending forever with the "everybody is a sniper"
- No more Zoom
- Real weapon spread
- No balancing stupid stuff

Prepare to be out of ammo more often that killed.

Shooting somebody over 50/100 meters will be a really REALLY (i mean REAAAALLLY) HARD STUFF to do !

You'll have to shot, and shot, and shot, and prey strong !!! if you want to perfect shot a head rear the corner of a windows, exactly as it does !

Machinegun will now rulez the world as it always should !

:IS2:

While I do applaud anyone that feels like putting effort into this game to make sure that it pleases a bigger part of community. You should really reconsider the name of your mod.

Because from what I can tell, it'll be more difficult but not necissarily more realistic.

Upvote 0
I really don't care what "critics" say about games. Haven't for years. What I tend to do for games is read some various reviews by users, and take note of the user score. 6.7 user score compared to Ostfronts 8.6. You need to look at what people are saying though to get an overall picture of what people generally think about it. Read the positive ones as well as the negatives
:D Ah I was waiting for that and guess what, MORE people hate Ostfront:
review2.png

Thanks to the high sample rate Ostfront has leveled out the negative reviews but thanks to the lack of reviews for RO2 the zero score reviews warp the score. I know that people laud the "common" reviwer but they are be much more worse any "critic", for example these zero reviews like these are sinking down the score:
Another entry into the tired WWII genre with even worse gameplay mechanics. Really terrible and buggy amateur work that still feels as if it's in beta.
Run of the road but what makes it so terrible? It really worse a zero?

Sorry, I saw the youtube video where the CEO was hyping this game up and the gameplay looked fierce. This is the most slowed down FPS since their first release. There really needs to be a seperate category for games that are made like this on purpose. I can see comparing BF2 to CoD, and they are very different. But this game is a whole other genre that does NOT appeal to FPS lovers. The graphics are outdated and it was released as buggy as a game with the latest and greatest technology
I dont even know where to start with this one...

You see, around 85% of the bad zero scores are to with bugs/tech problems (which are kinda warrented) and the rest are MOSTLY just bad reviews. When using the metacritic, NEVER take the score at face value and READ the reviews...

Upvote 0
They're hilarious. They post to say " Look the game has lost some players ". I mean, who do they think wants to know?

I don't like several games I have bought/received in the past, yet I have never visited their forums to tell everyone. I guess I figured nobody would be interested, but these people think they have something earth shattering to share.

I play the game every day, I know how many players there are, and so does everyone else, but I'm sure that won't stop the doom and gloom crew from telling us again tomorrow or next week :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh and the game is dead too apparently.

stop trolling

The guy said it's possible the majority of players are actually happy. I showed evidence that suggest that 75% of the community has stopped playing within a month of release.

Nothing outlandish, just contributing to the discussion unlike yourself.

and if you hadn't noticed, the only people left on the forum are RO fanbois, the happy ones and the disgruntled ones. Just because some are disappointed, doesn't mean they hate the game so much that they would stop visiting the forums and contributing to the community.

Upvote 0
Where did I write that it would make your opinions superior if you have played Ostfront? I just wrote that it says the reason they dislike the game or a feature in the game (cause it isn't close enough to Ostfront).

Opinions are just that, opinions. Whose opinions are superior are in this case decided by TWI.

I agree, as I already said, everybody has their own opinions and all are equal to one another.

As well, I already said that it makes sense for people to say they liked something that was in a previous RO and are dissapointed that it's not in RO2 or it's different.... my point in my last post, as well as in my first post, is directly related to people who post "I'm an RO:Whatever Vet" in such a way that it's supposed to make their view and/or opinion somehow more valid than someone else's, and I'm just saying that it's pointless to do so because it doesn't matter if they're an RO1 vet, or I'm an RO:Mod vet or if you just got into RO via RO2..... everybody's opinion is equally valid to the next, thus stating this all the time just doesn't make sense and I find it creates a bad start to the conversation/debate/topic.

To me, it gives the impression that when someone says that, that's the bottom line and there's nothing more to discuss.

An Example:

Someone comes on here and states that they find that the gameplay is too run and gun and isn't like RO1, which they are more used to..... and then I come along and say that I feel the gameplay in RO2 is very much like what existed back in RO:CA, which was a faster pace, more intense and involved a number of players rushing objectives, rather than camping halfway across the map picking people off.

^ Both are opinions based on personal experiences we both have had while playing RO...... but then if we re-word the above as this:

"I'm an RO1 Vet, and from what I have experienced in RO2, the gameplay is too run and gun and isn't at all like RO1"...... then I respond, "Well, I'm an RO:Mod Vet and the gameplay in RO2 is much closer to what was in the Mod and thus, the gameplay is exactly where it should be."

They both give off an absolute statement as if both of us are completely right in what we say, and by stating how long we have been playing RO, that somehow makes us more right...... however, since I have played RO longer and I'm both an RO1 and RO:Mod Vet..... I win.

I really didn't win and neither did the other guy, we're both expressing personal opinions on the subject and trying to justify our views by using previous RO's.

RO:CA isn't RO1 or RO2..... RO1 isn't RO:CA or RO2 and RO2 isn't RO:CA or RO1..... they're all very similar with certain elements, but each are very different from one another, both in game physics, gameplay in general and overall feel.

And that overall feel in each game is different to each player, where some like it or some hate it.

I loved RO:CA and I am really enjoying RO2, while RO1 just didn't do much for me...... yet others will be different, in that they might have never played the Mod, Loved RO1 but don't care much for RO2.

Regardless of whatever RO's we have played, didn't play, liked or hated, all of us are playing RO2 and all of us are trying to squeeze into RO2 everything we liked in the previous RO's..... and that's going to cause a lot of conflict between everybody who have different views on what direction RO2 should be heading.

Once we all acknowledge this fact that we're all coming from different views & different tastes, we can possibly start to be a little more constructive with one another, rather than constantly stating absolutes and not budging from our positions because we think we're more right.

You're no more right that I am, and I'm no more right than you or anybody else.... because we're stating our opinions on our specific preferences. That's not to say that an idea or feature you or I want in shouldn't be added in RO2 at all, but because of the situation the community is in, we all have to understand where we're all coming from and try to work together to figure out a middle ground that the majority of people can accept that meets both sides of the argument.

I think we all can agree that anyone that gives suggestions to increase the arcadegameplay in RO are totally wrong.

Actually, no we can not all agree. I'm not an arcade-gamestyle fan, but I'm also not a huge fan of complete war simulators.

There is a very tricky balance between incorporated "Realism" and fun & enjoyment in a video game.

Not everybody wants RO to be completely realistic to the point that it sucks the fun out of the game, yet not everybody wants the game to be another Beyond Castle Wolfenstein...... that's the conflict I'm talking about, where you have hardlined members standing by their ultra realism views, hardlined members standing by their enjoyment, arcadey fun views..... and everybody else is caught in the middle who don't want the game to go in either extreme direction.

Here, the RO VETS comes in and tell them how things work, how things should be, and what's forbidden and not. The people that have spent years upon years with playing the game, discussing the game, working with mods etc. knows a hell lot more than a random gamer that pops into the forums and give crazy ideas.

Again, so with that logic, since I have been playing RO since the mod days, I should start preaching to you how I think things should be and preach how things are or aren't..... and you should simply accept it.

Unless you played the UT2k3 mod before I played the UT2k4 mod, I over rule you.

See how that works?

See how that fails?

The people on this forum is all what matters.

Seriously? :confused:

The mainstream gamers can go and play something else and stop trying to change this game to another FPS. That's already happend though and RO2 isn't really a complete spiritual successor to the first and orginal RO.

The First and Original RO is the Mod for Unreal Tournament 2003, not RO:Ostfront.

If you want the mainstream to decide what's right and wrong to implement in this game well play COD and you'll see exactly what they want.

And I'm a RO OST VET, but I ain't got much skillpointz, perkz and unlockz in RO2, and no Hero rank, but I'm a RO VET.

Again, with people who preach about themselves being an RO:Ost Vet and ignoring that RO has existed before RO1.

The Mod is what made RO:Ostfront, it set the bar, it was what made Tripwire what it is today, it made RO1 possible..... it's what made Killing Floor Possible, it's what made RO2 possible.

RO1 may have been the first original retail game, but it is not the original standard of what all future Red Orchestras should abide by. You may think it is, but again.... that's your opinion, and your entire post is exactly what I have been talking about when it comes to members in here preaching on about what they think is biblical and can not be questioned.

You think what you say is absolute and everyone should agree with because you're an RO:Ost Vet.

If you want to play that game, than I'm an RO:Mod Vet and over rule your claims and I have the status to disqualify anything you say.

That's how you want it to work, right? ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Clowndoe and Nimsky
Upvote 0
Copy pasting into microsoft word then reading "Word Count: 1 bazillion" isn't difficult.

Regardless, you went through the effort to do that.

And I've really got no interest in delving into a relatively shallow philosophical debate that really isn't anything more than posturing.

Then why are you wasting your time in this topic?

If you have no interest, then move on to something else.

To be fair, everything you've stated, has been discussed in some form or another ad nauseum on this forum. But I must say you were probably the first to write an essay on the matter.

The only thing that I look to impress upon you, is the realization that you, as a poster, take things a little too far.

That's your opinion, my opinion is that many members who try so hard to tell the Devs to completely revamp RO2 into a carbon copy of RO1 are taking things a little too far.

With the long list some people have of changes they want in the game go so far as basically telling them to take the game back, delete everything they did in RO2 and give them back another RO1 with better graphics.

p.s. let me qualify: I did read/skim over your post and most of it wasn't unreasonable *smiles*

Fair enough.

Reactions: Nimsky
Upvote 0
No disrespect Praxius, but I do believe you (and a few others perhaps) are a voice in the wilderness. A distinct minority in other words.

Whether you started playing RO in 2004, 2006, 2009 or whenever...it does appear at least on these forums that the majority of experienced RO players see ROHoS as a major let-down on several levels. Each individual's reasoning for thinking so becomes mere semantics. I would bet that there are many people with zero RO:CA or ROOst experience who see ROHoS as quite flawed......

Fair enough, and in my view, I was greatly let down with RO1 and found myself not enjoying it nearly as much as I did with the mod, while I enjoy RO2 more.

RO1 had a lot of content, which was great..... but many of the physics, movement, weapons, as especially for me, the tanks, were a huge let down.

Yes RO2 does still require work, nobody is saying it doesn't.... but the mod also needed work when it first came out and so did RO1, so it's no surprise.

You may think most who just got into RO2 with no previous RO experience may feel the game is flawed, however most of those players I have been seeing in both forums who just started playing are actually enjoying the game and like it..... performance issues & glitches aside.

Stop throwing words like "distinct minority", "majority" and "many rest of us" when you don't have any actual numbers. It could as well be that the whiners are a small minority and most people are actually happily playing the game.

Exactly.... I am completely willing to hear out other people's ideas and suggestions, even when they're about bringing back features in previous RO's that I may not like, or even features from other FPS's..... but pulling out unfounded absolutes and claims that hold no real support in order to somehow better justify one opinion over another do not help the conversation.

Cpt PRaxius. didnt you say a few weeks ago you where leaving the forums because people where complaining?

No, I said I was taking a break

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=69229

It was based on the level of trolling and constant complaining and demands for refunds that were floating around at the time, which is a different subject and has died down in the last little while.

And now you are complaining? ..err i mean being constructive...
This is richer than a french butter reduction.

What's really rich is your ability to make incorrect claims before actually looking up the facts so you don't look silly.

And I wouldn't say I was complaining. The thread title is "My View" which is quite similar to "My Observations" on what's going on, and I provided a few suggestions and ideas of my own in order to have a constructive conversation..... if that's "Complaining" to you, than that's what it is.... deal with it.

Thanks for playing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you're going to ignore the 0's you should probably ignore the 10's too. Theres loads of 0,1,2,3 too.

If you want to ignore the numbers then look at the Positive, mixed and negative amounts.

Read the reviews though as was said. The negative ones generally site either the performance/bugs or the gameplay shift from Ostfront as the reason for the negative score.

Personally I would give it a mixed review. Its not a bad game, but its not really an RO game to me, its like an arcade spinoff. I like arcade games but its just not what I was after with RO2. For now I will just play something else and see what happens. I think its already too late for it to be a "big" game as people have already been turned off by it for whatever reasons. It might have a bunch coming back sometime, but nowhere near the number that should have been coming from Ostfront and the hype that came with it

Also:

sLh1c.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Poerisija
Upvote 0
If you're going to ignore the 0's you should probably ignore the 10's too. Theres loads of 0,1,2,3 too.

If you want to ignore the numbers then look at the Positive, mixed and negative amounts.

Read the reviews though as was said. The negative ones generally site either the performance/bugs or the gameplay shift from Ostfront as the reason for the negative score.

Personally I would give it a mixed review. Its not a bad game, but its not really an RO game to me, its like an arcade spinoff. I like arcade games but its just not what I was after with RO2. For now I will just play something else and see what happens. I think its already too late for it to be a "big" game as people have already been turned off by it for whatever reasons. It might have a bunch coming back sometime, but nowhere near the number that should have been coming from Ostfront and the hype that came with it
I'm not saying you should ignore numbers, its just that people really like to to harp on Metacritic score around and not really ask why the score is how it is, you need to look at the number of samples and then read the reviews as one bad review can scour the score. Pretty much everyone who is not you is "wrong" when it coming to gaming, as I said, you need to read and not take things at face value. The tech people have every right to angry but the gameplay issues are very subjective...

Also this is not "arcade", I've played alot of games and I hate companies using unrealism to make things realistic. For example, as much as I love the Paradox games they also really piss me because of the barriers they put up to to hinder the player in the name of "realism", for example in Victoria II playing as Siam I made it into the Great Powers (top 8 countries using a harsh scoring system) and I wanted my own 'Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere', using my massive navy and fairly strong army I fell upon the Dutch East Indies invading them with ease. I control the islands, there was no way the Dutch could ever get them back as I ruled the seas but I could not just take the islands, I needed to get a treaty but the total "Warscore" of the Islands was above a hundred meaning I had to give up some of the land I taken, leaving me with East Java. Despite that I needed a warscore of 77 to take it, so seeing how I had all of their colonies I had to invade the Netherlands themselves in over to win the war, an asian army conquering Amsterdam which is not exactly realistic but yet me following in foot sets of the Japanese Empire is impossible to pull off...

In many ways RO:O is like EUIII, its harder than most and if you own it then load it up going through the starting dates to watch the rise of Ivan The Terrible but yet its impossible to follow in his footsteps in the name of realism...

[EDIT]
Oh, just saw you edit with numbers, people been saying that DoW2 has been dying for years (a while back the average hover around 1k'ish) but the free weekend did wonders for the game...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes RO2 does still require work, nobody is saying it doesn't.... but the mod also needed work when it first came out and so did RO1, so it's no surprise.

Actually it is, for me at least. And shouldn't it be? I mean the mod and ROOst were both made by amateurs. Highly talented and experienced, but nonetheless amateurs.

ROHoS was made by a company. A for-profit company where the expectations are quite different than those for a game based on a mod of another game that you are entering in a contest with the HOPE that you MIGHT win something.

I agree that we both see a lot of people here who appear new, who do seem to be enjoying the game. Point conceded. Still, it is hard to argue that for the MOST part, the 'old hands' have a great many issues with the game as it currently stands.

Trust me, I do hope for this game. I haven't given COMPLETELY up. I still trust that TWI sees all of this and will diligently work to address a lot of it.

Also, as far as mods go, I will be greatly interested in the progress of In Country in particular.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well here's some info on the current sprinting ability.

Timing it you can sprint for about 15 seconds.

I did a test on the apartment map (ally way behind objectives A and B), From the propaganda house's door, to the door across the ally, the Distance is 75m, it takes 15 seconds and all of your sprint ability to reach it.
So the sprinting speed is 5m/s (18kph), just walking is 25 seconds, which is 3m/s or 10.8kph.

So the total sprinting ability is only 80 yards (or so).

Upvote 0
Actually it is, for me at least. And shouldn't it be? I mean the mod and ROOst were both made by amateurs. Highly talented and experienced, but nonetheless amateurs.

ROHoS was made by a company. A for-profit company where the expectations are quite different than those for a game based on a mod of another game that you are entering in a contest with the HOPE that you MIGHT win something.

Ostfront was also developed by a company, which Tripwire was established before that game was released.... back in the mod, they were basically just called the Red Orchestra Team.

Thus, the same above expectations above for RO2 should also be applied to RO1, as RO1 is not the exact same thing as the mod. It's based on the mod but has had so many, what I would call "Drastic" changes made to it, that it's not the same thing and was sold and advertised as a stand-alone game much like RO2.

And I'd hate to bring up one of the other two big FPS's, but jumping over to the BF forums, there are plenty of people complaining about issues with that game, which is no longer in its beta stage...... point being is that no matter how big or small your company is, nobody can release a perfect video game that has no flaws. That's why patches exist in the first place.

I agree that we both see a lot of people here who appear new, who do seem to be enjoying the game. Point conceded. Still, it is hard to argue that for the MOST part, the 'old hands' have a great many issues with the game as it currently stands.

Yes, I would also agree on that part, many do have issues. There are a few things I would like to see tweaked or changed a bit, but personally speaking, none of them are game breaking for me and I still enjoy what I got for a game.

I understand that a lot of people had certain expectations on what RO2 was going to be.... I had my own expectations as well, but the moment I heard Stats, Weapon Unlocks and Hero players would be added to the game, I knew those expectations would no longer apply.

I was honestly a little worried about those things and wasn't sure how they would play out in an RO environment and I too also felt it might go too far into the CoD/BF area of gameplay, but I went in with a very opened mind and dropped all my expectations. I knew it was going to be different from what I was "Used" to, but I also knew it would still hold many of the core elements that made RO unique.

When I started watching gameplay videos and I started playing the game in the beta, I honestly felt it was still Red Orchestra with a sprinkle of modern glam on top of it..... though I understand that others had different expectations and wanted RO to sway more towards deeper realism than to sway more to an accessible game for the average FPS player. I played CoD and a few BF's including BC2, and I personally can't stand those games and especially I couldn't stand their unlocks and leveling which takes forever to do and you seem to grind forever.... and their unlocks can and do give other players a clear advantage over new players, such as having Mag Rounds and Body Armor, which allows you to kill a new player quicker while being able to take more shots from them.

^ That was my greatest concern with the unlocks and such in RO..... but I was pleased that RO didn't go this far and that all leveling up and unlocks do not give anybody an real advantage over new players.... one good shot from all the weapons can kill everybody just as equally. It doesn't impact the gameplay as much as it does in those other games.... it's just there, a little feature in the background you don't have to pay attention to too much..... and I like that.

..... Maybe that's Tripwire's grand master plan..... maybe they made this RO2 to bring it into the mainstream and lighten the realism a wee bit and then when RO3 comes out, it would drop everybody into a seriously hardcore, ballz out RO that's grity and more brutal than any other RO before it..... the steep learning curve wouldn't be a cliff or a hill.... it'd be a black void of ultra realism never before seen.

I'd be fine with that.

Trust me, I do hope for this game. I haven't given COMPLETELY up. I still trust that TWI sees all of this and will diligently work to address a lot of it.

Also, as far as mods go, I will be greatly interested in the progress of In Country in particular.

I'm looking forward to Iron Europe myself.... but I think what could bring RO2 back into the light for most is to include another game mode. We have FireFight, Countdown and Territory.... we have Relaxed Realism and Realism.

Maybe add another Game Mode called "Combat Simulator" which greatly increases the difficulty of almost everything in the game, add more sway, more recoil, etc. etc.... that way, those seeking their RO1 fix in RO2 would get it, while those who enjoy the current game modes and gameplay will still have that available to them.

Then everybody should be happy..... minus the people still suffering from bugs. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First I want to say that I'm an RO1 vet, for all of a couple of months while waiting for RO2 to come out. And quite honestly I enjoy RO2 more. Why? Mainly because in RO1, with the larger maps and lower player count, I felt almost lonely with half of the team hanging way back with rifles and trying to pick people off. It felt more like I was just dropped there on my own like one of those "kill lots of Nazis" single player shooters than a real team experience. When I did get with a good group it was magical but that didn't happen as often as I'd have liked and I honestly got bored. In RO2 I find much more of that team gameplay. There's always people working in a small group that I can just attach to and hopefully rely on to cover my a** when I needed it. And I feel the reason for this is because of RO2's smaller maps and higher player counts. It's those times when you're moving around with others and there's that mutual trust and impromptu teamwork that I love:D

if you think people here are moaning sunsab1tches then have a look on the bf3 forum :D

headaches
eye spasms
small maps
too big chat box

etc...etc...etc

and they dont have mod tools

True. Really when you think about it in this modern world we're almost lucky. We have devs that for the most part communicate and games that don't strictly and purely iterate (ala COD). Infact with the amount of complaining I see about COD changing very little year by year, even by fans of the gameplay, I'm surprised at people around here who want the same thing for the Red Orchestra series. Really think about it, if Red Orchestra didn't exist, what would you be playing?

Players who left were undeniably:
A: displeased with the game
B: displeased with bugs
C: A or B and they were also interested in BF3.
I'm sorry but "undeniably". Are you sure that wasn't a typo. We all knew from the very start that this game would lose players faster than most by it's very nature. Tripwire was trying a bigger net to see if they could catch more fish, even if they lose a few old and new. Even a reskinned RO1 would have had a larger budget than just the "old timers" could support. RO2 was/is an ambitious game and it was undeniable that it would lose a fair few players. Just because this games playerbase has fallen, doesn't mean it's a bad game, simply not everyones cup of tea. And $40 isn't so much to lose if you dont like it, not with most mainstream FPS's selling for $60+. Another thing Steams stats don't show is just how many separate players played the game in the last 24 hours, that's something I'd like to see.
I really don't see anyone asking for a carbon copy. Just some people say X feature from Ost is probably better than Y from RO2, and then they usually suggest a modification on X.

I really haven't seen anything that would make me facepalm since the first week of release when all the noobs invaded the forum.
I've seen a fair few, although I guess most of them gave up and left because "TWI doesn't care about us". If anything the amount of people still here tells us there's a lot of people who still want the game to succed, even if only the way they want it.
..... Maybe that's Tripwire's grand master plan..... maybe they made this RO2 to bring it into the mainstream and lighten the realism a wee bit and then when RO3 comes out, it would drop everybody into a seriously hardcore, ballz out RO that's grity and more brutal than any other RO before it..... the steep learning curve wouldn't be a cliff or a hill.... it'd be a black void of ultra realism never before seen.

---

I'm looking forward to Iron Europe myself.... but I think what could bring RO2 back into the light for most is to include another game mode. We have FireFight, Countdown and Territory.... we have Relaxed Realism and Realism.

Maybe add another Game Mode called "Combat Simulator" which greatly increases the difficulty of almost everything in the game, add more sway, more recoil, etc. etc.... that way, those seeking their RO1 fix in RO2 would get it, while those who enjoy the current game modes and gameplay will still have that available to them.

Then everybody should be happy..... minus the people still suffering from bugs. ;)

1st part-Wouldn't that be interesting, and not a bad strategy either, like a giant publicity stunt.

2nd part-But that just makes too much sense:p. Shouldn't be too hard for them to add in with the FREE DLC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First I want to say that I'm an RO1 vet, for all of a couple PLO months while waiting for RO2 to come out. And quite honestly I enjoy RO2 more. Why? Mainly because in RO1, with the larger maps and lower player count, I felt almost lonely with half of the team hanging way back with rifles and trying to pick people off. It felt more like I was just dropped there on my own like one o those "kill lots of Nazis" single player shooters than a real team experience. When I did get with a good group it was magical but that didn't happen as often as I'd have liked an honestly got bored. In RO2 I find much more of that team gameplay. There's always people working in a small group that I can just attach to and hopefully rely on to cover my a** when I needed it. And I feel the reason for this is because of RO2's smaller maps and higher player counts. It's those times when you're moving around with others and there's that mutual trust and impromptu teamwork that I love:D

True. Really when you think about it in this modern world we're almost lucky. We have devs that for the most part communicate and games that don't strictly and purely iterate (ala COD). Intact withthe amount of complaining I see about COD changing very little year by year, even by fans of the gameplay, I'm surprised at people around here who want the same thing for the Red Orchestra series. Really think about it, if Red Orchestra didn't exist, what would you be playing?

I'm sorry but "undeniably". Are you sure that wasn't a typo. We all knew from the very start that this game would lose players faster than most by it's very nature. Tripwire was trying a bigger net to see if they could catch more fish, even if they lose a few old and new. Even a reskinned RO1 would have had a larger budget than just the "old timers" could support. RO2 was/is an ambitious game and it was undeniable that it would lose a fair few players. Just because this games playerbase has fallen, doesn't mean it's a bad game, simply not everyones cup of tea. And $40 isn't so much to lose if you dont like it, not with most mainstream FPS's selling for $60+. Another thing Steams stats don't show is just how many separate players played the game in the last 24 hours, that's something I'd like to see.

I've seen a fair few, although I guess most of them gave up and left because "TWI doesn't care about us". If anything the amount of people still here tells us there's a lot of people who still want the game to succed, even if only the way they want it.

1st part-Wouldn't that be interesting, and not a bad strategy either, like a giant publicity stunt.

2nd part-But that just makes too much sense:p. Shouldn't be too hard for them to add in with the FREE DLC.

I'd +1 rep your post, but I rep'd enough people today it seems. :cool:

Upvote 0
Same here, wait till tomorrow I guess.

An excellent post mate, +rep :) Well written, and basically saying it better than I could myself.

I honestly enjoy RO2 every time I play - and I know that isn't strictly the topic of this thread, and I also appreciate enjoyment is 100% subjective. I'll even go one further and admit that, even though I've played since the UT2003 mod version - my opinion, skill level, and appreciation of "realism" could be very different to other "vets" :) That said, RO2 seems to tick pretty much all of the boxes on my own checklist - I certainly don't think it's perfect (what game is?), but it's a damn fine effort in my opinion. With some time and the usual TLC, I also think it can only get better.

I'm personally hoping that recent (and future) server tweaks will allow the community to run exactly the game they want to - without the need for people to mod using the SDK. In that situation, the modders are then free to create genuinely new content - instead of having to change base rules and behaviour, potentially splitting the player base with "pro mods" and the like. I'd much prefer to see new content for the base game, which has a greater chance of keeping the community unified and playing together.

Upvote 0
I really don't care what "critics" say about games. Haven't for years. What I tend to do for games is read some various reviews by users, and take note of the user score. 6.7 user score compared to Ostfronts 8.6. You need to look at what people are saying though to get an overall picture of what people generally think about it. Read the positive ones as well as the negatives

Spot on.

I don't trust reviews at all. Because we all know that reviews may and are effected by other things. Gaming companies invite reviewers, give them food, maybe alcohol, invite them into some paintball shootouts.. Most reviews are biased in my opinion, and depends on how reviewers are treated by the company, and of course what the name of the company is. Sites such as Rockstar Games, for instance, is known to have a ''Blacklist''... they simply bann sites that post reviews they don't like. If this is justified or not I don't know, but it do stinks suspicious.

So I tend to trust what the gamers say even though that isn't 100% waterproof either. Especially gamers that say ''I am a [Insert] veteran'' - in that way I know this particular person have knowledge about the games history, experience and all that, so I tend to trust that person a lot more than some random person that just have started to play the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0