• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Blinded by nostalgia.

Lots of people base their opinions on comparing DH (mod for Ro1) to RO2. Darkest Hour is way more intense than RO1 and RO2.

OP is wrong on the side of "didn't feel like an actual battle", RO1 was 1 line vs 1 line of guy shooting each other, by this I mean than in RO1 there was a front and you were ALWAYS will allies. You played Konigsplatz with 50 players or Parizerplatz? Those were the maps.

Alos DH brang a new type of maps with the fronts and one of the server even managed to get 70 player slots. DH was intense.

The graphics of RO1 and DH aren't ugly at all, lots of people still play CSS and RO1 has way better graphics on the effects than CSS.

With the sounds I don't know what's wrong with you or if you play without bass or something because in RO1 you felt like shooting a gun.

Upvote 0
Of course Ro2 is better, all we are saying is that it lost a few things it should have kept, and gained a few things it shouldn't have. Of course it looks better, plays better (agility, yay!) but there are some serious crowd pleasing things that should never have been introduced, we all know what I speak of, the multitude of arcade things added that just don't fit in with what Red Orchestra is about.

Upvote 0
Of course Ro2 is better, all we are saying is that it lost a few things it should have kept, and gained a few things it shouldn't have. Of course it looks better, plays better (agility, yay!) but there are some serious crowd pleasing things that should never have been introduced, we all know what I speak of, the multitude of arcade things added that just don't fit in with what Red Orchestra is about.
Yes, on this point. Lots of RO veterans play on Arcade mode server because the server browser is kindda chaotic and it's hard to find an hardcore server. In RO1 it was hardcore only. I think that it was a dumb move to make different diffculty modes. Small team like TWI shouldn't split their community, and make the players adapt to their game, not the other way around.

Upvote 0
I agree that RO2 has not remained particularly faithful to its roots and has introduced a number of what people describe as arcade elements. But what if the reason for that was to prevent going under financially? How many people would have bought RO2 if it had been known it was going to be full-on hardcore realistic? Enough to keep TWI afloat?

People shouldn't be so narrowly focused as to claim RO2 should have been "this" or "that" without also considering the financial implications. We have, at least, got "a" game, and having it means there's a chance for mods to do wonderful things with it if the original game doesn't suit, just like DH did for RO-Ost.

Reactions: Kashash
Upvote 0
RO2 is better imho, it needs only some gameplay fixes that RO1 ( in all its jerkiness) had like sway, speed of iron sight, wound effects.......;)

Add attachable bayonet on site, animation for fire mode change, some tweakings for the cover system so it's less jerky, weapon shot out of hand, slightly slower reload animations.
The baseline of RO2 is great, and feels better, more frenetic than RO1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Most of the people playing ro2 without performance problems aren't writing posts about it. I don't have a clue what the good/bad ratio is among owners. I am one of those whose game has been very playable all the time.

I loved Ostfront. But it had its niggles. Controls were clunky yes but I also apreciated that it kept ppl from rushing too much. But there was a serious sense of emptiness. Much to do with, as the op stated, sounds being scarce and repetitive.
The gunsounds in ro1 were much more frightening but the whole battlefield ambience is so elevated in ro2 and it really feels like you are part of a team with all the talk between soldiers. In ro1 everybody felt so mute and in ro2 I love hearing a teammate saying something to me as he enters the room behind my back.

I really really like ro2 and can not return to ostfront. But I am looking forward to the modders content and more sprawling maps in a classic ostfront-style.

Upvote 0
Yes, on this point. Lots of RO veterans play on Arcade mode server because the server browser is kindda chaotic and it's hard to find an hardcore server. In RO1 it was hardcore only. I think that it was a dumb move to make different diffculty modes. Small team like TWI shouldn't split their community, and make the players adapt to their game, not the other way around.

I have a different opinion...

First, i've never touched with a barge pole the "relaxed reality" mode. But still the "hardcore" servers aren't that hardcore.

I won't detail once again what is missing cause we have already discussed it an awful lot of times.

The best solution would be a third level of "realism" with Ostfront-like gameplay. Probably TWI is not going to work on something like that, alas. But I still hope in mods.

And I don't mind if people who likes something less demanding is playing Red Orchestra 2, let them have their action. I am not such a purist, i play arcade games also.

Just don't tell me i like RO (which actually is ****, according to OP) cause i'm nostalgic...

Ostfront was a unique game I bought HoS expecting more of the same.

Upvote 0
Some vocal people on the forums act like RO2 represents a sell-out pandering effort, but my sense is the RO2 is actually closer to the intent of the developers than Ostfront. They have said, and I don't believe this is a lie, that this is the game they wanted to make. The Bugs represent not bad karma of getting away from their roots, but the ambitiousness of the game design. As much as I loved Ostfront, I felt the limitations of the game engine and I feel like the devs did too.

Only my opinion, but RO2 is perhaps 95% of what I would've wanted from a sequel to Ostfront. There are small issues in the remaining 5%, but many of these are bugs that will hopefully get fixed. Other things that are not bugs, I can live with, but then again maybe even some of these will get worked on. I play the game that exists for what it is. If I don't like it, I play something else or a mod that is closer to what I'd like.
But I like HOS, and I like it better than Ostfront, and I was obsessed with Ostfront. I'll be playing this for a long while.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a different opinion...

First, i've never touched with a barge pole the "relaxed reality" mode. But still the "hardcore" servers aren't that hardcore.

I won't detail once again what is missing cause we have already discussed it an awful lot of times.

The best solution would be a third level of "realism" with Ostfront-like gameplay. Probably TWI is not going to work on something like that, alas. But I still hope in mods.

And I don't mind if people who likes something less demanding is playing Red Orchestra 2, let them have their action. I am not such a purist, i play arcade also.

Just don't tell me i like RO (which actually is ****, according to OP) cause i'm nostalgic...

Ostfront was a unique game I bought HoS expecting more of the same.

get out of here S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Upvote 0
There's a massive difference between

"Here's what I think, X is Y but Z really isn't that great"
and
"X is Y, Z is great obviously. What are you thinking?!"

Not that this is the first "My opinion is fact" thread in this section.
Not saying that the OP is great but had you swapped around RO1 and RO2 then it would have been upvoted as far more stupid threads received positive votes. What I have issue is that people are too lazy to tell the OP why he wrong, I also hate it how many of the "Old Guard" of forum have negative rep for not being fan boys, its a dumb system...

I think the whole RO1 vs RO2 is like Paradox vs CA, whilst I love both of them deeply, the Paradox games offer much more challenging than CA games but they also very anti-player using unrealistic features to create the illusion of reality (for example, if you load up EUIII and watch the rise of Ivan the Terrible you will NOT be able to follow exactly in footsteps because of how the game works). Whilst the CA games, like RO2 empower the player to do whatever he wants the lack of a challenge makes them unplayable to some...

Upvote 0
Not saying that the OP is great but had you swapped around RO1 and RO2 then it would have been upvoted as far more stupid threads received positive votes. What I have issue is that people are too lazy to tell the OP why he wrong, I also hate it how many of the "Old Guard" of forum have negative rep for not being fan boys, its a dumb system...

I think the whole RO1 vs RO2 is like Paradox vs CA, whilst I love both of them deeply, the Paradox games offer much more challenging than CA games but they also very anti-player using unrealistic features to create the illusion of reality (for example, if you load up EUIII and watch the rise of Ivan the Terrible you will NOT be able to follow exactly in footsteps because of how the game works). Whilst the CA games, like RO2 empower the player to do whatever he wants the lack of a challenge makes them unplayable to some...

what?

Upvote 0
I love how people take great satisfaction in downvoting someone when their opinion differs. I agreed with the OP's legitimate point and I get downvoted for it, pretty funny tbh (btw ooooo plz don't hurt ma repz, it's what keeps me going in life.....get real.)

I'll say it again, don't like RO2? Cool story, no one cares...uninstall it and move on with your life because there are a hell of a lot of people that DO like it, me included.

Upvote 0
I loved Roost, but I loved DH more and played that to death. I'm lucky that, for me, RO2 is running OK even though my system is junk. I love RO2, I love the depth of field, I love the cover system, I love the mantling and the different movement modes. Sure there are some things I don't like, and I'm hoping one day there will be a more hardcore option to get rid of them.

But my one gripe with RO2, and this may be for many reasons, is that there appears to be much more individual work. In roost, and especially in in DH, I always felt you had to operate as part of a squad. You had to stick close to your team mates or you were dead, but in RO2 I feel much more as if I'm on my own (though I like the extra voices!).

Maybe it's because it's new, maybe it's because reloads, etc are too quick, or maybe I've just been unlucky, but but I loved the way that even on pubby's in DH you could usually find a small squad to help you clear a street house by house, resupplying each other, offering covering fire, moving up squad by squad.

I hope it's just my bad luck but for all the graphics issues, arcade vs non arcade arguments, what made roost and DH stand out for me was the teamwork, and having read books like Company Commander this seemed to be just as it was described in the books.

Upvote 0
seems a lot of people got me wrong - I loved RO:Ost (spent 300+ hours on it and dh) but I like RO2 better AND closer to what TWI wanted. I agree about wounding and w
slight adjustments and whatnot, but RO2 is a really great game as it is. I was comparing it to the previous favourite game of mine, RO1, not to anything else.

Upvote 0