• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

K-98 bolt?

gimpy117

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Michigan
as an owner of a 1941 Gustolff werke K-98, I have to say I don't like the look of the cocking piece on the K-98 bolt.

Real:
cse.gif

In Game:
rogame2011-09-2318-10-25-60.jpg

Last edited:
Gustloff Werke from 41? Is that a "bcd" code?

yes, BCD is the one. Also I do believe there was an earlier number code too.

The safety tab looks REALLY tacky.

TWI--what variety of K98k (factory/year) did y'all base your model off of?

some of the later war safety tabs are like that....but I can assure you, the machining on my example is excellent.

Upvote 0
You guys would not make good investigators would you! The bolt is wrong because on the underside of the round part of the cocking piece the metal that engages with the sear is flush with the end of the piece. Rather then inset like on the real K98.

In real life you can barely see this piece.

Should be apparent here:
k9813.jpg

The biggest problem with the cocking piece is that it protrudes too far. Plus it's all wrong when you fire it, and have an empty chamber.

Also while we are nitpicking, all of our K98's are cupped butt-plate models, there would be a large number of flat butt plate rifles floating around in 1942!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You guys would not make good investigators would you! The bolt is wrong because on the underside of the round part of the cocking piece the metal that engages with the sear is flush with the end of the piece. Rather then inset like on the real K98.

In real life you can barely see this piece.

Should be apparent here:
k9813.jpg

The biggest problem with the cocking piece is that it protrudes too far. Plus it's all wrong when you fire it, and have an empty chamber.

Also while we are nitpicking, all of our K98's are cupped butt-plate models, there would be a large number of flat butt plate rifles floating around in 1942!

you guys noticed the cocking peice is wrong but you didnt notice the front and rear bands are wrong? if you havent noticed the front band is a H type band, which is correct, but behind it a bit of the wood texture. This is wrong, there needs to be metal behind the H band because the bayonet lug was there. Also the rear band is wrong, the rear band in game is the later war stamped and welded type. those didnt show up untill late 1943. I needs to be the correct earlier war milled type.

Cocking peice looks fine to me besides the cutout on the bottom of it like you mentioned. Im surprised they even left the end of the firing pin in the white, which is correct.

Flat buttplates, cupped buttplates, walnut, laminated, all are correct for 1942/43. However the bands need to be either milled or speed milled.

the animation is totally wrong though. after you fire your last shot, the bolt should not be able to close and it should stay open as the follower prevents it from doing so. only after have you reloaded the 5 rounds will you be able to close the bolt again. Also another thing that erks me is when you fire your last shot and you hear a "click" signifying a dry fire, this is impossible because you never even recocked the bolt!!! Firing pin animation is wrong, it should be near flush when fired. only when you pull back on the bolt and recock it does the cocking peice protrude when its ready to fire.

one more thing, they went through the trouble to add the serial numbers and waffenamts to the MP40, MG34, G41, etc. but they didnt add serrial numbers to the bolt root, cocking peice, shroud and safetly?

Last edited:
Upvote 0