• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SVT40 is WRONG. please fix it!

Can't say its a big deal, but now that I know that's not the way it was in WW2, it does bother me slightly. It would take a few minutes to fix so I say fix it.

Heck, as someone who has skinned whole tanks for World of Tanks, if the fine folks at TWI would tell me what plugin I need for Photoshop to export in UE3 format, I'll do it myself and e-mail it to you when I'm done!

Its easy to make fun of the people who are annoyed by it, but imagine how you'd feel if some game had a gray M16 or an AK with yellow wood. It'd feel wrong for you and break the immersion because you know what they're supposed to look like.

Last edited:
Reactions: THunter
Upvote 0
Excellent thread - making fun of people's knowledge, and calling them rivet counters
because they pointed out correctly that the ingame SVT-40 was modeled after post war re-arsenal.

Me, I had no idea of any of this till I stumbled upon the topic and googled a bit. I'm like a tourist who just found out that he's been duped into buying a genuine Amazonian spear

One of the main reason I'm into RO2, if not the main, is because it's one of the very few games where guns look and feel real.

So why drop a bar on this? Why insist it's good enough for me, now that the facts are in open?

As some have already said it's not a huge issue to most.
But why make an issue by acting like... this

Upvote 0
While you might have not of gotten the response you wanted, you have to realize there are bigger fish to fry for TWI. There are many talented people in this community that could reskin the model for those who are bothered by seeing a plum bolt.

Try requesting a reskin of the bolt on the model forums. I'm sure someone wouldn't mind taking a bit of time out of their day to make community members happy :)

Upvote 0
I personally don't care about this as it affects no part of gameplay, and I'm all for realistic aspects of the game. The more you focus on it, the more it's going to eat at you, anyway.

I honestly don't care about the stupid bolt either. But it's the attitude thats really bothering me. You don't even have to change the damn bolt. Just say you will look into it sooner or later out of respect for your customers. You know what I mean?

Upvote 0
I honestly don't care about the stupid bolt either. But it's the attitude thats really bothering me. You don't even have to change the damn bolt. Just say you will look into it sooner or later out of respect for your customers. You know what I mean?

I agree (although I do care about the correct bolt color/markings and I hope it's fixed), it would have been SO easy to say we'll look at this problem a little further down the road after bigger fish have been fried.

While this isn't the number one problem in the game, I believe this thread should not be allowed to die...it is a good barometer of Tripwire's attitude toward the customers that put them on the map in the first place with Ro1...

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad...the game that was "good enough"...

Reactions: skewp
Upvote 0
I personally don't care about this as it affects no part of gameplay, and I'm all for realistic aspects of the game. The more you focus on it, the more it's going to eat at you, anyway.

If that's how you feel about the game then why have the proper skins anyway? They don't affect game play.

I will look into someone re-skinning it and showing me how to install it. All's well:D

Upvote 0
bump. this thread WILL NOT die. totally agree with everybody that has the same thoughts. Everybody thats been trash talking the people who know history and actually care about historical details need to GTFO and go back to HALO, youre in the WRONG house.

On a side note, the K98 front band also has a skinning problem. The area behind the H band is wood. It needs to be metal as the bayonett lug was located there. The rear band is also wrong on the in game K98. The rear band on the K98 ingame is the later war stamped and welded type. It needs to be the earlier war milled type.

...but I guess thats good enough.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This reminds me of when people got upset because the K98 is RO1 had a Russian serial branded on the stock (from the rifle being captured).

Look, if you are new to the forums, this is the type of behavior that sets the RO crowd apart from other gaming communities. Most of the time the collective WW2 knowledge goes towards giving meaningful feedback about how to make the game more authentic. Other times some get too obsessed with the right stiching on a German uniform. For the times when this knowledge is put to good use far outways any potential rivet counting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The reskin would be as simple as taking the file, lasso'ing the bolt section, taking it into curves and taking out the plum color. The metal sheen will stay. It's a 5 minute job. If TWI won't do it, I will when the tools get presented. (By tools I mean access to the texture files.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am something of a realism nut.

When you guys (TWI) have gotten some sleep, home-cooked meals and quality wife time in, please get around to de-penciling and de-blueing the SVT, along with handling the other art authenticity issues your fans are bringing up, before the art team is occupied with the bigger fish of skinning entire tanks. While it is not a gamebreaker for anyone and not noticed by many, your "Old Guard" would greatly appreciate it.

Upvote 0
I am something of a realism nut.

When you guys (TWI) have gotten some sleep, home-cooked meals and quality wife time in, please get around to de-penciling and de-blueing the SVT, along with handling the other art authenticity issues your fans are bringing up, before the art team is occupied with the bigger fish of skinning entire tanks. While it is not a gamebreaker for anyone and not noticed by many, your "Old Guard" would greatly appreciate it.

Agreed. There are many small things that can be easily fixed. Simple things like spray-painted graffiti on buildings (when spray cans weren't around until 1949) which should just be painted. Weapons textures, environment, and character textures are all easy fixes in the grand scheme of things, when like you said, texturing an entire tank can be an extremely daunting task.

Upvote 0
If a non-blued bolt is dirty, it's not supposed to look plum coloured, but brown or black because either earth or dirty lubricant grease, and the stains should be uneven.

I agree that while is not a big deal, compared to other issues that is, it should be corrected later for authenticity sake.

I undertand that TWI has spend a lot of time, budget, blood and tears for releasing this game, I deeply appreciate their effort, but for the sake of the continuity of the community, this little issue and other should be addressed.

Don't try to appeal to a wider audience, I have enought experience with other small game developing companies that failed badly when they deviated from the original formula. Not only you won't be able to lure more costomers, but you'll piss of the old and faithful ones off.

Examples are a lot out there: Gothic III and IV, Mafia II, Wolfenstein 2009, Duke Nukem Forever, Dragon Age II, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising.

PS: Although we must admit that Tripwire Interactive, along with Bohemia Interactive still carry the flag of PC gaming and authenticity. You are still examples of innovation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0