• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Soldier & weapon textures look fairly undetailed

I'm running Athlon Dual Core 2x3ghz, 4gb ram and Ati 4770 512mb.
I know my gfx card isn't much by todays standards but I was expecting to actually see the detailed soldier textures (as in screenshots) when I crank it up to ULTRA HIGH or HIGH texture details.

It looks like, whatever I put there, everything looks blurry and as such, RO1 graphic looked better.

Is this some sort of an enforced limitation depending on the hardware?

Wunning Win7 64 bit.

Thanks.

If I recall correctly there is a soldier detail setting; try setting that to 'High' or 'Ultra' instead. Also, there is an enforced limitation on texture quality based on your graphics hardware, but I don't think the game will even let you select settings if your GPU isn't up to snuff (I think the requirement for the 'Ultra' setting is 1 GB of graphics memory).

Upvote 0
I noticed the game acts quite strangely for me when it comes to textures. For example, when the battle starts the rifle is completely blury then it becomes sharp and detailed after a few seconds. Running at Palit GTS450 1GB. Dunno, I feel like the game still needs quite a lot of optimization when it comes to graphics.

UE3 uses resource streaming. Textures and other resources are loaded on-demand to minimize memory usage, hence the "pop-in" effect. Other UE3 based games have the same issue (UT3 and Borderlands seemed to have it the worst). This is expected behavior.

Upvote 0
Do you have anything that enforces low mipmaps? I don't know what the modern driver options look like, but that used to be a setting. Maybe have a look around in there after all.

Actually, I had Mipmaps set to Performance, cranked it up to QUALITY (max) and now I have nice looking textures. I do agree with one of the posters above that object (vehicle) textures still look a bit undetailed but at least I solved my problem.

I did thinker around with Mipmap details earlier today with my older drivers and it didn't solve the issue but I decided to give it another go with the latest 11.8 drivers installed and it worked.

Reactions: Murphy
Upvote 0