• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Info] Is this a joke?

Wholeheartedly agree with the OP. Chances are he'll get told to 'go play CoD' by some, which seems to the be response to any well-written criticism on these forums. I told many people how I felt about the beta and the response was 'it's a beta man, it's gonna be that way'. I swalled my doubts and held on to my pre-order and now it's release time. I literally see no change in the finished product. I honestly don't see how these bugs could've gotten past the closed beta stage, as it's not likely server size and number of players was the issue. I just don't see 2 years worth of work here.

Upvote 0
While I would be right behind you if it was a larger dev, I do feel bad for TWI, considering their entire dev team could fit in the average schoolbus. They don't have millions to spend on bugtesters like the big boys do, and they can't afford an army of programmers working 'round the clock to fix bugs. If anything, I've clearly seen them doing their level best over the course of the beta.

They should have delayed, I agree, but look at their competition in a few months. Can you blame them for not wanting to get into a stand-up fight with those boys?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To be honest, the 3 or 4 hours I have played of the full game since release have probably been the best fps experience I have had since I stopped playing Ostfront a year or two ago - despite the fact that the finished product appears to be a buggy, laggy, poorly performing mess.

I am very hopeful that these issues will be ironed out over time and I am fully prepared to stick with the game during this process as even in its current state, I'm of the opinion that it is still an excellent game despite the issues.
To be fair though, when other games released this year, Shogun 2 : Total War, for example, run either well or excellently on my current system at between high to max settings, the abysmal performance I have received from Heroes of Stalingrad both during the beta and now upon release seems all the more shocking.

My point I guess is that if these issues like constant stuttering and random inexplicable dips in framerate and or gpu usage can be adequately solved, this will still be a great game with a very long lifespan. There really isn't a need to immediately denounce it because it is not 100 % perfect at release, especially given Tripwire's track record of patching & support for their games. A fair few people here took part in the beta - did those same people honestly think that what you were playing with on the 12th would be radically altered or revolutionised by the 13th ?

Although, with all of that said, to the person who said his performance was worse in the release than the beta - so far this has also been my experience. Wait and see I guess :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sad to say it but yeah this game is broken at the moment. I was afraid of this while playing the beta, seeing as how there were so many bugs and so little time left, and despite their great effort to fix them, I don't feel like the game is close to a finished state. I'm not so much angry as I am dissapointed... I love the game (what I've played of it at least) and I'm excited for future content and whatnot, but I was really hoping to be able to sit down and enjoy a (at least almost) bug free game now that it has released. Instead, my experience is a game that feels far buggier then when I beta tested it. I will come back to this game after some time as passed (hopefully with most of the bugs gone), but I still feel greatly let down. :(

Upvote 0
I don't suppose you're familiar with the optimization process, are you?

It's a long, arduous, and difficult one. Trust me, I'm none to pleased about my computer's performance either, but I've been through what they're going through now. It takes longer than a week to optimize. Whether they were right in releasing now and trying to hotfix it or waiting until right in the middle of the holiday releases to try and snatch a market share in a room crowded by massive AAA titles, I don't know. But I do know that this is not an easy process, and expecting them to have it running flawlessly in a week is a very tall order.

I tried to stay optimistic through the beta, and I'm optimistic now. Patience is going to pay off. I understand folks are upset being out of money with a product that doesn't work properly, but I can think of a dozen games off the top of my head (at LEAST a dozen) that have had similar launches that were quickly forgotten amongst the merits of the game. Such is the nature of PC gaming. With console development, you know exactly what hardware everyone has, so optimization is a LOT easier. With PC gaming, you only have the hardware in your office and that of your beta testers to test it on, so something that works perfectly on your machines may **** itself and drop dead on everyone else's. It's very difficult try and optimize for hardware you don't have available.

Listen, if you like the core gameplay of the beta, patience is going to pay off. If nothing else, go play another game for a few weeks, let TWI get things straight, and then come back and try again.

It's a frustrating situation, but for anyone who's been a part of the PC gaming sphere for any significant length of time, it shouldn't be an unusual or unexpected one. We live in a day and age where patching is the norm. You've got to learn to live with it.

Good post. I do agree with a lot of your points really. It's just annoying is all.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to add my 2 cents, this is by far the best game I've played since the first RO. I was extremely impressed with the beta I think the devs have done great job. I've had heaps of crashes, lag, poor performance (on a computer that exceeds the recommended setup) and so on, and I'm thoughtful enough to realize that such a small group of people made such a great game and these temporary problems won't last forever. If it means i have to put up with some problems so stats will work then I'm not fussed at all. So whoever is still complaining go play another game ffs.

P.S Also your computer might just suck, maybe you need to update driver's, defrag your HDD, delete you .ini setting files in your steam RO folder, update windows, unupdate windows, upgrade your PC, get a better internet connection (mine sucks), verify integrity of your game cache, reinstall the game ETC. There are a bunch of things you should do before complaining. I mean seriously there were people playing the beta last night and it started lagging for everyone and people couldn't just stop *****ing, it was SAD.:IS2:

Upvote 0
It's glaringly obvious that the "real beta testers" that they hired had less than impressive systems.

What's really sad is that the DDE crowd tried to tell them not to release the game to the public without fixing it. (no game is perfect at launch but this optimization FPS crap is shameful)

Rented a server for clanmates all of which CANNOT play the game due to FPS problems. After jumping through enough hoops to be a circus clown I finally topped out at 41 FPS today. The most i've seen in the game yet.

Upvote 0
I just registered here to ask why the hell game looks worse than Call of Duty 1 when all my settings are on Ultra high? It runs smooth, it just looks like crap, nothing like screen shots, everything is just blurry. I played with settings and nothing seems to help.

Also, is there a way to actually create a LAN server atm? Cuz there is no "create server" option that I can find.

Upvote 0
but

but

maybe its bugged and maybe will be for some time, but i am glad they release it. And its so obvious, they have problems, so they need us to tell them about it and send them as many informations as we can. Not just AAAA THIS GAME STUPID AAAAAA. I can bet they are doing everything what they can and i still believe they can fix this problems. Delay the game ? NOPE? What point is. You will not play it anyway if its delayed, and if you cant play it now.. its sad but someone can so where is a problem ?

Upvote 0
It's glaringly obvious that the "real beta testers" that they hired had less than impressive systems.

What's really sad is that the DDE crowd tried to tell them not to release the game to the public without fixing it. (no game is perfect at launch but this optimization FPS crap is shameful)

Rented a server for clanmates all of which CANNOT play the game due to FPS problems. After jumping through enough hoops to be a circus clown I finally topped out at 41 FPS today. The most i've seen in the game yet.

and agree with you as well. Gameplay itself is very impressive and this bugs and issues around are not actually serious problems and its just about time to fix them

Upvote 0
Seriously, guys this is ridiculous.

I'm not trolling or flaming etc etc but this is just a simple horrific release.

I played the beta, it was a slow, laggy, buggy highly unoptimised mess.

I came back to the beta 2 patches later and found it was a

slow, laggy buggy highly unoptimised mess.

I then hover over the refund button on steam, and think to myself "nah, im a fan of tripwire, was playing RO when the first iteration of the mod was released, maybe, just maybe this will be sorted out for the release"

Boy was I wrong, I hate to do this to one of the last dev studios I respect, but this is pathetic. You guys are the same RO team right? the same guys who have worked with the unreal engine for years right? and you cant get servers to show up in the server browser?

This might fly in a "beta" but I'm sorry TWI, you have released the game to the paying public, people have put faith in you and paid hard earned money for your product, and its broken. Extensively broken, I mean you can't release a MP focused game and your bloody server browser is broken.

And that issue is just a fart in the wind compared to all the other bugs, which include :

a % of maps crashing upon load for a majority of the userbase, the ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIC performance (seriously, all settings on low/off and it looks worse than HL1 and Im getting 40 fps, its a disgrace), wonky cover system, see through walls and textures, just bugs galore.

I couldn't hold my tongue any longer and seeing threads like "buy the devs a drink" I feel disgusted and seriously? buy you a drink? I BOUGHT this game and its broken in so many many ways, you should be ashamed to be honest.

Well, I may still try and get a refund for this now, I gave so you chance in the beta, then a few more chances with patches, now the game is out and its in a hell of a f-ing state.

Its just a disgrace.

An unhappy customer.

Go make your own game and see how easy it is. Cut out the goddamn melo-drama and get it through your head this is release day, and that patches are to come.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with OP. It was rushed so the promises weren't fulfilled, and the game runs poorly. On top of that, it's obviously taken influence from other games that shall not be named.

Despite this, I know the performance issues will get better.

But for the people saying
"Their dev team is so small!"
I'd just like to point out that Minecraft was made by one guy and Amnesia: The Dark Descent was made by about 5 guys.

But none of that is important. RO2 is and will be a great game.

Upvote 0
Sadly though the game is completely unplayable for me. I do not buy games to play at 30 fps(4 when smoke is around, yes 4)

Literally died 4-5 times in a row attempting MP because the frame rate lag was throwing me around like a stop frame movie.

Standing still the game looks amazing, but this sadly isn't Duck Hunt and lack of movement gets you killed quickly. I'm pretty sure my NES could pull 20 frames on this too.

Reactions: MadTommy
Upvote 0
Yes, this is, in fact, a joke. The proper version will be uploaded to your computer shortly along with a picture of the entire staff of TWI in drag for your amusement.

Rather than the dramatic and non-descriptive topic, why not post the issues you're having, your system specs, and see if some of the fine fellows on the forum or from TWI themselves can help you?

TW employees ignore user posts here regarding issues that are a bit more complicated than "Install X file"

Upvote 0
Go make your own game and see how easy it is. Cut out the goddamn melo-drama and get it through your head this is release day, and that patches are to come.

Wasn't aware you paid for incomplete merchandise and liked it. Perhaps I can sell you a bridge?

As a side note, pay me to be a game developer too. Since i'm to make my own.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I hate this excuse, I'm a big fan of Tripwire and can actually run the game fine. But it simply beggars belief that they either did not find or did not address some of the issues the game had before release. Server browser, stats, etc.

I can't speak for those who can't play the game at all or have trouble playing it, but I'm sure that is infuriating. We, the consumer, buy the game to function as intended at release. Now, most of us understand there will be bugs and problems with the game, which is fine. But to have a beta where countless issues were raised and yet some of the more pressing ones not having something done about them, while they do seem to have time to move spawns about on maps and stuff like that (more gameplay orientated changes), seems to me a little poor.

Yes, there will always be problems on release. Yes, I have seen and participated in worse releases. But I think they have perhaps dropped the ball a little here. I have faith they will get fixes out soon, but seeing as they had the guts to delay it once, I wish they would have delayed it again.

So no, I'm not going to get millions of pounds together along with an entire team of staff and make my own game. I want this game. I want it to work. I appreciate TWI's work so far, but this isn't what I expected from them.

/cue down votes.

Upvote 0

Listen, I'm all for going easy on TWI, but this is a bull**** excuse.

It's like being upset that the last 15 minutes of the movie you paid to watch in theaters was done with paper cutouts and the director providing voice overs before him shrugging and going "sorry guys, we need more time to finish the movie".

Yeah, people are right to be irked that the product is incomplete, but I can see why TWI felt pressured into releasing the unfinished product and I sympathize with that.

It's a lose-lose situation.

Upvote 0