• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Advice for new players

TheRealGunther

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2011
Blue Ridge GA
Nuf said....After a few days of watching teams handing the enemy matches I couldn't contain myself:p

600pxvlcsnap99097.jpg

OK to be serious.
Here is my "how not to be a noob" guide in TE,CD matches

1. First off this game is about objectives not kills few maps ever come down to reinforcements trying to win by just killing will get you a loss 95% of the time.At any given time only a handful of guys should be out of a capzone.Most of the time its a sniper, mg or antitank/engineer the sniper can be on counter sniper and mg duty as well .Only say 25% of the team should be doing this and even then they should be covering a capzone.Odds are if your new or not a very good shot you shouldn't be one of these guys.When the enemy is swarming a capzone sometimes every body is needed just to cap or defend.You just have to be aware of when these times are.

2.If you like to camp and snipe you should play the defensive side.Its simple stay in the capzone and defend it by killing attackers and trying to clear them out of the cap.If its a map where both sides are attacking just find the last captured objective and set up in it.Its a good idea to find a few spots in each capzone that give you a good field of fire.As long as you are in the zone it is true camping doesn't exist in RO but,there is smart camping and dumb camping.If alot of players is in your zone defending and few enemies be smart and help the attackers get the next cap if there is one.

3.If you enjoy charging and being aggressive or suffer from ADD play the attacking side.Use the tactical display" the (T) button" find the object that needs to be taking.Try to get into the zone and find a "safe" field of fire while in the cap.The object is to get in the zone and stay alive while at the same time try to clear out the enemy.If the zone is being capped sometimes its best just to hide so you stay alive long enough to help cap after its done you can go out guns blazing.If you keep getting mowed down trying to reach the zone try different ways to the objective.Use another spawn or spawn in on the SL ask for smoke etc.And riflemen should be doing this as well just because you have a bolt doesn't mean your a sniper and should just camp for kills.As a rifleman I will charge the cap as agressivly as the assaults firing from the hip and bayoneting.

Following 2,3 will not only improve your score but greatly help your team's chances to win the match.Not to mention add a whole new level to the game "tactical positioning" it can take alot of time to learn a map and find the spots that's helpful for your team for you to be in.

The best players not only get alot of kills they get them while in the capzone.You get huge bonus points for killing while in the capzone.That's why avoiding the zones will pretty much keep you at the bottom of the scoreboard even with lots of kills.

Last edited:
Yah for sure.

For some reason the last 5 or 6 times I've played TE-Barracks, the Allies simply refuse to get into the infirmary and defend it once they've capped... if they even get that far.

More often than not I've seen Axis take NCO Barracks quickly and then the whole round is fought over that building.

So c'mon, Allies, get in there!

Upvote 0
This is so true, but that is not clearly communicated in game to noobs.

There should be some kind of in game message you get if you are outside the zones for too long.
No need to punish exactly i think, as there are plenty of legit reasons for not being in the box sometimes.
But something to say, Hey you know you probably won't win if you are not in a zone.

But i really do like that it's not just about killing them more then they kill us.
I love to see a team win with fewer reinforcements then the other team.

Upvote 0
1. If you are seen moving to cover by somebody already in cover, they are likely going to kill you once you poke out to fire. Consider engaging from higher ranges where the enemy has NOT seen you move into position. If this is not an option or you need to advance, SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE.

2. If you are in a building with possible hostiles, be careful not to sprint at the wrong time, cover the door/window you are approaching, iron sites up whenever possible. This especially applies if you are using a bolt or semi auto rifle. This does not apply as much with the PPSH which has excellent hip firing.

3. You dont have time to walk into a room and check all the corners all of the time, especially when the other player is waiting for you. Grenade rooms with potential hostiles. Use the minimap to identify that there are no friendlies in the room if you are not sure and always cook the grenade first, otherwise the opposing player will have time to run from it. As russians press secondary fire to pull the pin.

4. As a riflemen or MG set up in a window in a 64 player server, consider relocating or at least ducking for a while after every 2-3 bursts/shots/kills. Otherwise people are alerted to your location and your likely to get binked. ~further to this, the better looking cover is not always the best cover, when picking a position note that the more you can see, the more people can see you. As a machine gunner the best positions actually dont have that much coverage, but what you ARE covering is something important - a cap zone, regular transit area or camp spot for the enemy. See less and less can see/kill you, don't set up in the window that sees the entire enemy territory and imagine yourself as winning out against them all with your MG/rifle skillz :p Occasionally in RO1 I found this did not apply at higher ranges but not sure about RO2, rifles seem a bit more efficient with the zoom.

5. Many points can be capped just by spamming smoke on them, running into the smoke and proneing till the point is taken. Often you will be expected to do this by your team and its a quick way to get a nice score.

6. Be careful with the cover system, often it is better to lean/just prone or crouch. A lot of the time you are presenting a nice silhouette for the opposing teams mg and riflemen. Other cover is much better with the cover system, some sandbags/trenches being an example. Get the hang of what exposes the least of yourself.

7. Always lean around corners in combat zones opposed to edging/walking out. If you run out you will get shot at and not be able to reverse your direction and will die. Releasing the lean key gets you back in cover a lot faster than back peddling. If you are fired at, relocate or camp if you are capping.

8. Identify high scoring squad leaders by a high team score and if you can join their squad, spawn on him, assist in protecting him and capping points with him.

RO is quite difficult but once you get the hang of staying alive and capping points you will have a lot more fun. Not something I have been doing recently ahah, been playing so bad v_v

Upvote 0
I'll add a few:

If you're not fighting in an objective, shooting at guys in an objective, or stopping guys from getting to an objective, you're wasting time.

You don't have to be in an objective, but at least have something to do with it. Be close enough that if your team needs you to, you can run into the objective and add your weight to holding it. It's purely a numbers game, and even if you're hiding in a corner pissing yourself, you earn 10 to 20 team points right there if your team successfully defends it from an attack.

Don't forget to shoot through cover too.

People complain about the BAR, but it has one advantage the SMG does not. You can put a round through the frame of a window, or the wall right next to it, and kill the shooter. You don't need them to be exposed, you just need to know where they are. Half of my kills in game with the BAR and semi-auto come from shooting people through their cover. I preemptively put rounds through the door jams of known areas where enemies like to hole up (like the hallway in the NCO Barracks) and at least half the time I get a kill or make the guy stick his head out so I can put one between his eyes. COVER IS NOT INFALLIBLE!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ahaha good stuff

people seem to miss out on the enormous extra points you get for killing people in cap zones and while your in one... and they stack
so + points if he's in the cap
and + if your in a cap
and + if your sticking with your squad leader/commander
and + just for getting the kill

points rank up fast when working as a team

my best advice, is find out map tricks.
On barracks the Axis like to rush in the side entrance of the first russian cap and shoot down the hall way at people who run in.
MrLebanon's solution? rather than run into the hallway and absorbing their bullets
Head to the left of the building where they are entering and toss a grenade in the window

head up inside and shoot through the walls at them (the thin walls, bullet pen is usefull when u figure it out)

rinse and repeat

I got about 10 guys in one life last round with this. all with the + points for being in the cap
and it helps hold on to the cap
when they get set up good in the hallway its tough to get them out

Upvote 0
How about playing RO:OST and getting some context as to how the game works and what uo should be doing instead of mindleslly purchasing a game you know nothing about

'Cause not all of us have the money, or the time, to invest in a 5 year old game populated by only the most hardcore of players who instantly kill us and insult us for not being as proficient at picking out a cluster of pixels as they are.

That's what drove me away from RO1 a year ago. Doesn't stop me from being excited about RO2.

Reactions: Poerisija
Upvote 0
More pro tips instead of making a new thread about "Smoke" I put it here

Ok smoke is mainly a offensive tool to block defenders line of sight.Many times I have been in a good line of fire defending and the SL drops smoke.This only helps the attackers by blocking any line of sight the defenders may have.Giving the attackers a safe entry into the capzone.

This frustrates me when I see defending SL's popping smoke all around an objective.Just because you have the smoke doesn't mean you have to use them.Few times have I seen them useful on the defending side mostly its when the route to the cap is being sniped or raked by mg's.Not in the capzone defenders need a clear line of sight to kill attackers trying to get in the zone.

On the attacking side smoke is sometimes "the key" to victory.Even the best fortified defense can be broken by smoke.Given the attackers a safe entry into the cap.This has been a problem for a long time even in RO1 people not knowing basic infantry tactics.Or just thinking because I have these smoke grenades I should use them.

So the next time your SL and you decide its a good idea to smoke up the defending objective remember your only helping the attackers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello, total newbie here!

I am SO one of them spawnpoint campers, not getting a single kill, trying to play smart by camping windows or other "safe" places where I either a) get killed or b) manage to snipe a teammate in the back out of sheer triggerhappiness.

But that will change. I hope. Because now it's damn scary running around like a headless chicken with nazis around every corner. ( And for some reason I always wanted to say that :p ) And in time, I'll get better. Perhaps even useful. But until that happens - you will dread having me on your team if it's winning the map you're aiming for. And I might aim at you from my post in that window :p

- Dragojev the brutally honest and self-aware noob

Reactions: Poerisija
Upvote 0
Since launch I decided to bump this old thread up alot of new guys playing and some tips may help ...The key is in RO is patients btw and learning the maps and weapons no one is that great when they first play this game.Over time tho RO rewards skill like no other game the more you play the better you get.

Smart players will be rewarded more than the rambo type its the exact opposite of a (cod) type game. In ro1 I was still learning good positions on maps years after I first played it that shows the depth of RO's huge and well designed maps.

Upvote 0