• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank concerns thread

Kashash

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2008
ITT post what your tank concerns are and what changes you would like to see. Personally I'd like to see:
- new penetration and ricochet sounds (is it me or these are the same from RO;ost?)
- tracer projectile bit less glowing
- more damage to the tank after a penetration to get rid of 10 hits to kill a tank occurrences
- some sort of shock effect to the crew after penetration to prevent a crew from firing back too soon
- would be nice if different speeds were on roads and terrains especially snowy or muddy.
- less tank gun recoil
- option to operate a gun on keyboard for easier correction while aiming (it's easy to stray from a particular point of a target using mouse)
- not sure if the current version of PzIV in game had smoke grenade launcher (Nahverteidigungswaffe) but that would be a nice feature for a close defence weapon or to cover a tank with smoke.

Nahverteidigungswaffe.jpg

Last edited:
My biggest concern is in public team tanking, which seems to be impossible now.

In RO1 I'd use the numpad to give directions, and to tell the driver where the enemy was, but now when a human gets in the driver seat you don't seem to be able to use any useful commands, and have to type in squad level which is woefully slow when trying to tell the driver to stop because you can see a PIV on the horizon.

While RO1 wasn't perfect, at least drivers would occasionally stop when you hammered Stop! enough.

Upvote 0
I think keyboard based turret controls would be nice right now. The arrow keys should be used to control the turret or command the driver because right now,you have to look through the scope in order to turn the turret.
Please fix the tank controls,I don't like the mouse controlled turret at all.

Upvote 0
- not sure if the current version of PzIV in game had smoke grenade launcher (Nahverteidigungswaffe) but that would be a nice feature for a close defence weapon or to cover a tank with smoke.

Nahverteidigungswaffe =/= smoke dispenser

And no, the Pz IV never received the Nahverteidigungswaffe, it did have smoke dispensers though, first a box at the back, which then was replaced by smoke launchers at the front sides of the turret.

Upvote 0
Nahverteidigungswaffe =/= smoke dispenser

And no, the Pz IV never received the Nahverteidigungswaffe, it did have smoke dispensers though, first a box at the back, which then was replaced by smoke launchers at the front sides of the turret.

It DID fire smoke candles right? the Nahverteidigungswaffe, i mean.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It DID fire smoke candles right? the Nahverteidigungswaffe, i mean.

Along other rounds like flares and the small HE airburst rounds, yes.

It's no 100% dedicated smoke dispenser though. Basically, the Nahverteidigungswaffe simply is a small s-mine thrower along with a flare pistol port that allowed crews to fire the flare pistol along with some special munitions out of the tank without creating an opening.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My biggest concern about tanking is that it has done the impossible; it has made coop gameplay mind numbingly boring.

Usually everything is better when done with friends. Things like forming an infantry squad is Red Orchestra, piloting a helicopter in Battlefield, or questing in World of Warcraft, is made infinity more fun with friends.

However in Red Orchestra 2, my friends and i choose to tank alone because the one time we shared a tank was one of the worst things ever; which is strange because this was one of the things we were most excited about.

The only guy who gets to have fun is the guy shooting the cannon. The friend stuck looking through the tiny hole of the mg in the t34 is probably measuring himself for the noose by now, because that is much less painful than the boredom you have to suffer...

Upvote 0
The ability for teamates to choose to team tank together is vital! Team tanking was a charactaristic of RO1 that was encouraged for YEARS and very hard to achieve. It seems as if that was completley blown out of the water for the current rambo(tank) style of tanking.

It makes more sense to be able to have friends play together, or teamates if they can communicate; and be able to shoot and move and be a tank to be reconed with.

This also means the VOIP system needs to be fixed. As in RO1, there is no point being in a tank with another human if they can't or won't use their voice to talk in local or hopefully vehicle chat.

As someone pointed out, typing is just too painfully slow and who reads that anyway with all going on?

Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0
The only guy who gets to have fun is the guy shooting the cannon. The friend stuck looking through the tiny hole of the mg in the t34 is probably measuring himself for the noose by now, because that is much less painful than the boredom you have to suffer...

Something I realized that helped with this is to hold down the Zoom key. Peripheral vision is pretty useless in the hull MG position.

Upvote 0
Kashash said:
- more damage to the tank after a penetration to get rid of 10 hits to kill a tank occurrences.
Properly modeled explosive filler for both sides tank rounds would fix this. Also this feature from Darkesthour would be nice to add to RO II:
  • Tracked vehicles will experience damage to treads if they reach 115% of max road speed. Sound effect gives warning of impending damage.
Kashash said:
Search is good. This was already mentioned by others but it looks like nothing came out of it:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=49817&highlight=nebel
IIRC MareNostrum had this on their Panzer IV's (bayonet key for smoke)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My biggest concern about tanking is that it has done the impossible; it has made coop gameplay mind numbingly boring.

Usually everything is better when done with friends. Things like forming an infantry squad is Red Orchestra, piloting a helicopter in Battlefield, or questing in World of Warcraft, is made infinity more fun with friends.

However in Red Orchestra 2, my friends and i choose to tank alone because the one time we shared a tank was one of the worst things ever; which is strange because this was one of the things we were most excited about.

I agree, The Tanking experience in RO1 is far better than RO2. There are already many posts about this yet I have yet to see any replies from TWI?

Please also take a look at this link and the other posts there.

[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=58279&page=3[/URL]

The game overall is good but I feel it

Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0