• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

slow down the running speed

realninja

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
running speed in game is too fast .. who can run that fast irl? if ur not a geopard .. i know its "only" a game .. but seriously.. if the running speed is hardcoded(or u would still be superman on annoying servers) to much slower, ppl had to use less noobish running around in the open tactics that would kill them on a real battlefield.

Theres a difference between running and sprinting, especially with mud soaked suits and carrying small supplies and those metal and wood sticks that bullets come out of, also the gear wasnt strapped to you in nine places, it bounced around a bit. In my opinion the soldiers who have backpacks and shovels and other gear hanging from them should be slowed a bit. Having to carry a four foot long rifle along with grenades a shovel and some supplies while sprinting would take a lot out of you even if you were trained but running slightly slower would cause you the loss of energy shown in RO2.

Upvote 0
I have to agree that you run too fast. It doesnt look natural, and the animations dont do anything to help that. The running animation at the moment looks like it was made for a slower running speed, at the moment players slide around.

Also I can hardly imagine you can run as fast as they do on rubble, scrap, broken glass ect, you get the idea. I think it should be slowed down just a little.

Reactions: Atomskytten
Upvote 0
I have to agree too.

For the default mode this is fine for me.

But for hardcore, I would like a little bit slower runspeed, and-or greatly reduced stamina. I think this would help give the game a more tactical feeling, and help counteract the run and gun style gameplay.

At the very least stamina should be adjustable for custom servers, in my opinion.

Also I can hardly imagine you can run as fast as they do on rubble, scrap, broken glass ect, you get the idea. I think it should be slowed down just a little.

Very good point. every surface feels as good as the other. Walking up a hill of rubble in a shelled house, feels as solid as walking on a hardboard floor.

Running across a loose pile of all kinds of rubble is very hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarf Ace
Upvote 0
Speed in RO2 is reasonable. Making it slower will be annoying to spend ages to get to battlefield.

Don't get me wrong. I am not telling RO2 to become COD or bad company2.

This speed is reasonable, and I can finally try my luck at crossing smoked street. When in RO I was annoyed my character slows down instantly as my stamina goes down. In RO2 I can actually move on now and capture objectives instead of waiting and camping when my stamina catches up.

I want good gameplay, gameplay where players ENCOURAGED to move, not camp.

I had enough of slow running speed in RO and camping all over the buildings.

Reactions: Scarf Ace
Upvote 0
I think it's perfectly fine at the moment. Tho I do think that different surfaces should have an effect on how fast you can move.

The reason I don't wish to see movement speed lowered is because it would cause people to be even more reluctant to get into cap zones. It's pretty disheartening to see half your team camp around the edge of the cap zones and never take the risk to charge in, eventually getting their heads picked off by enemy snipers or flanking maneuvers.

But I'm sure running speed is something that can be modded.

Reactions: Nylle
Upvote 0
I'll copy this from another thread I posted in:

"I'll use reenactment experience again here to prove a point on stamina. In this case I think it is perfectly acceptable.

I am a fit, 19 year old male. I find myself well within bounds of an average infantryman in WW2. I have a full WW2 soviet uniform/field gear set. Just as a quick background. I in no way am comparing my sufferings to that of a soviet infantryman, I simply just have field experience trying to replicate the life of a soviet soldier.

Throughout an 8 hour battle, I will be consistently running at my top speed, especially in the open. I am not even going through the same kind of adrenaline rush that the soldiers back then had. Nor am I as physically trained. On top of that I'm constantly sprinting in my full gear with my rifle, in harsh terrain and weather. Most times with little to no food/water, and almost always on little sleep in near freezing weather.

It pisses me off in games where you will just stop running in front of gunfire. If you are fighting for "survival" in my case, you are bolting to cover as fast as possible, not taking a tea break halfway there. People give a lot less credit to the human body than should be given. At most, a russian soldier had 30 pounds of gear, 50 pounds including a DP-28/PTRS and the necessary gear. And even then, the DP gunner is slower in the game to be compensated. The speeds/lenghts at which the characters run is fine in my book. >

Upvote 0
running speed in game is too fast .. who can run that fast irl? if ur not a geopard .. i know its "only" a game .. but seriously.. if the running speed is hardcoded(or u would still be superman on annoying servers) to much slower, ppl had to use less noobish running around in the open tactics that would kill them on a real battlefield.

+10 and I speak for many other "Hardcore Realism" players.

Upvote 0
Protip: Sprint your full stamina bar, then turn around and look at how far you went. It can't be more than 100m, which any reasonably fit person could cover no sweat. Remember that gear disperses well across your body, and even carrying ammunition, canteens, and backpacks, you could reasonably sprint ~100m. I've done it several times in weekend-long airsoft games where I had to carry a dozen magazines, water, and food supplies with me. I was perfectly capable of running at near-top speed through rough terrain (thick underbrush, up and down light slopes, etc.) for 50-100m bursts, and I'm not in the greatest shape.

Again, RO2 has been retooled to be a lot more realistic than RO1. Everything is represented in realistic distances, and weapons and soldiers behave like their real life counterparts. This will take some getting used to for those of use used to RO1s sluggish plodding, but it is FAR more realistic now than just about anything else on the market.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's too fast. You can run like this even with gear... but on the other hand: when you do it you really get out of breath. So I wouldn't suggest running that fast all the time. But this is done in the game.

People run from the starting point to where the action is but it should only be used when you want to get out of the enemy's fov as fast as you can. So stamina should get less sooner.

Upvote 0
I do agree that you recover too quickly from the sprint. I can sprint that far that fast pretty easily, but I'm heaving for breath afterwords and my aim is hindered by this.

So leave the speed and distance you can sprint alone, but make it take a few seconds longer to recover and increase weapon sway a hair until you re-steady your breathing and it'll be spot on, I think.

Upvote 0