• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Too much special weapons

Wikipedia claims that 14,640,000 Kar98k were made up until 1945, and that a limited trial run of 6,600 G41 were made, and it was rejected for being a terrible design - over 1,600 returned to Mauser as being unusable. Seems like an exotic, experimental weapon that saw limited field trials. My own experience playing RO2 is that it was a widely used weapon that can always be had, if one so wishes.

You forgot a rather critical chunk of that wiki article..

The Mauser G41 was the model that got canned. The walther version stuck around.

G41(W) rifles were produced at two factories, namely Walther at Zella Mehlis, and Berlin Luebecker. Walther guns bear the AC code, and WaA359 inspection proofs, while BLM guns bear the DUV code with WaA214 inspection proofs. These rifles are also relatively scarce, and quite valuable in collector grade. Varying sources put production figures between 40,000 and 145,000 units. Again, these rifles saw a high attrition rate on the Eastern front.

Upvote 0
A way to make it more even could be to keep the number of ''special'' (SMGs, Semi's and MG's/Sniper) classes, but raise the needed amount of people needed in-game for them to unlock, so without X riflemen, you could not get Y rambo's.

Also: Does anyone else think that (maybe) the germans should get one less machinegunnerslots, or the Soviets one more? The DP28 is clearly inferior to the MG34 due to less ammo, the time it takes to reload, and being really fugly! :)D)

Upvote 0
If you miss,....

Then don't. The guy who misses dies. That is a given.

I've missed with an SMG, and had a rifleman kill me. I've had guys with SMGs miss me while I shot them dead with a rifle. I've shot guys carrying SMGs with a rifle before they've gotten a round off.

Know the weapon, think before you move, and things are fairly balanced.

Upvote 0
My point is very simple. Currently on Apartments 70% can and have SMGs. 70% of players on Fallen Fighters can and have Semi-Autos. I don't think this is fun or realistic.

If you honestly believe that the bolt-action is better than the semi-auto or that the bolt-action is better than the SMG on apartments you must be trolling or really stupid.

Reactions: WaffenWulfy and aop
Upvote 0
Then don't. The guy who misses dies. That is a given.

I've missed with an SMG, and had a rifleman kill me. I've had guys with SMGs miss me while I shot them dead with a rifle. I've shot guys carrying SMGs with a rifle before they've gotten a round off.

Know the weapon, think before you move, and things are fairly balanced.

Ah, but they have from 30 to 71 (drum mag in final game) bullets, where you have but one, and if your smart, you wont be running into CQB as a rifleman, which means that most likely you will be caught off guard. Try hitting him with that 1 bullet now, while he is slamming 71 into your chest.

All I'm saying is that SMGs are more effective in close combat, as they should be. And rifles are more effective in long range combat, as they should be.

Upvote 0
You forgot a rather critical chunk of that wiki article..

The Mauser G41 was the model that got canned. The walther version stuck around.
Thanks for the correction. You are right. Albeit with 150,000 more produced, it is still only 1/10 of the K98k manufactured by 1945 (who knows how many k98's in 1941, I'm guessing still a lot more).

My general impression of what weapons the enemy use, regardless of side and map, is about 33% bolt action rifles. Mostly it is rapid muzzle flashes in the distance or rapid muzzle flashes up close. Autoloaders, SMG, MG. Then a few purist bolters, a sniper or two, a PTRS.

Upvote 0
You might be able to kill your average troller running around with an SMG out for lulz, but the SMG is already the easiest gun to use, and anyone that knows how to play RO that is using it on Apartments will decimate you.

I don't know why people think they can do better with a bolt action then an SMG on a CQB map. I think they just do it to pretend to be pro. If you are doing well with a bold action on such a small map, then I guarantee you you will do even better with a semi or SMG. There is nowhere in Apartments where you are too far enough away from the enemy to hit them with an SMG.

This is a realism game, and if you haven't noticed, then in real life SMGs were created for CQB.

I'm not pretending to be pro, I guess I'm trying to make a statement about knowing your limits.

A good rifleman knows to avoid CQC, as he is fairly helpless up close. I'm getting quite good at shooting-and-scooting before the enemy (and the kill-cam) can nail me down and ram a PPSh up my butt. I manage to top the scoreboards pretty consistently using guerrilla tactics like this.

So no, the rifle doesn't stand a chance against the SMG up close. It's up to the rifleman to KNOW BETTER, and to know when it's time to make a break for it before the Assault troopers kick down his door. SMG players play aggressively, trying to close the gap as quickly as possible to overwhelm the enemy with superior firepower. However, he is weak in the sense that he is far less stealthy than the rifleman.

The clatter of an SMG is very distinctive, and a burst or two lets everyone zero in on your position. A good rifleman only makes a sound when he fires, and it's never consistent enough for the enemy to get a good bearing on him (unless he's dumb enough to camp one spot for too long). Long story short, the rifle becomes a stealth weapon in CQC situations, relying on ambush tactics to overcome it's shortcomings.

tl;dr, both strategies are perfectly viable, but you have to know the limits of your weapons. SMGs aren't the end all for Apartments. They are the easier strategy, sure, but it doesn't make rifles any less viable for someone willing to play smart, which is what I figured this community was all about.

Upvote 0
Ah, but they have from 30 to 71 (drum mag in final game) bullets, where you have but one, and if your smart, you wont be running into CQB as a rifleman, which means that most likely you will be caught off guard. Try hitting him with that 1 bullet now, while he is slamming 71 into your chest.

All I'm saying is that SMGs are more effective in close combat, as they should be. And rifles are more effective in long range combat, as they should be.

By what logic? In the time a SMG can fire off 71 rounds you can most definitely fire off 5 rounds of 8mm. So it would be more accurate to say, they have 15 rounds that will take more than one to kill, and you have one round that will kill almost instantly in one hit. It doesn't take brilliance to see the trade-off; they both require accurate, deadly fire. If you aren't accurate with either one, you will have an equal chance of losing with either one. The bolt-action's advantage is instant lethality, at the disadvantage of punishing inaccuracy more. The automatic's advantage is more forgiving in accuracy, at the expense of lower lethality per hit. While it's more difficult to get a hit at 5 meters with the bolt-action, you're rewarded by only needing one hit. While it's easier to get a hit at 5 meters with the automatic, you're punished by needing more than just one hit to kill. A headshot with either will kill instantly. So they are actually quite perfectly balanced...

Upvote 0
You will have to, yes. The only irony would be if semi-automatic rifles were SMGs. Since they aren't, I don't get it.

You were saying "Um, what? Bolt-action rifles are superior to semi-autos in every respect." Then you proceeded to tell him that he is completely ignorant for thinking that one gun is better than another and that each weapon has a different role that it is good at.

Yes, bolt actions can be good at long range, but semis are only slightly worse, and can take up that distance between the long ranged bolt and the close ranged SMG. Each weapon has it's purpose, bolt is better at long range, but that doesn't make it a completely better gun than the semi.

And take a time machine back to WWII, find a Ruski carrying a Mosin and ask him if he would rather keep it, or take a shiny new SVT you had ready for him. See which one they choose.

Upvote 0
In RO1 i always went SMG.
But in in RO2, i voluntarily picked up a bolt rifle in apartments, as i found its more useful and I can pwn more people with it.

My way of thinking about rifles is this, if you master a bolt action rifle, you will be the person people will try to avoid on servers as uber bolt action guys are extremely annoying.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. Now search for an article that says that AVT-40s were produced in mass quantities :p

Meh, that's a Hero class weapon.

What would be the point of the hero class if it didn't get any special equipment?

I suppose you could have a 2 meter tall 110 kilo Ubermensch who rocks an MG34 from the hip and would give Rambo a run for the money ;)

Upvote 0
You were saying "Um, what? Bolt-action rifles are superior to semi-autos in every respect." Then you proceeded to tell him that he is completely ignorant for thinking that one gun is better than another and that each weapon has a different role that it is good at.

Yes, bolt actions can be good at long range, but semis are only slightly worse, and can take up that distance between the long ranged bolt and the close ranged SMG. Each weapon has it's purpose, bolt is better at long range, but that doesn't make it a completely better gun than the semi.

And take a time machine back to WWII, find a Ruski carrying a Mosin and ask him if he would rather keep it, or take a shiny new SVT you had ready for him. See which one they choose.

Mm, not entirely an accurate analysis. I said that comparing a SMG to a rifle is juvenile because they both served completely different roles in the German combat doctrine. Comparing a bolt-action rifle to a semi-automatic rifle is fair game as far as I'm concerned -- and I think the fact that so few semi-automatic rifles were used in comparison with how many bolt-actions were used speaks for itself.

Agreed that the semi-automatic is better at close-quarters, but, here's where we get into the whole subject of roles again -- why use a semi-auto rifle for its close-quarters advantage when an automatic is still so much better?

It also takes much longer to reload, and higher rate of fire is NOT necessarily a strict advantage. Many users WILL instinctively throw discipline out the window just because they can fire as fast as they can pull the trigger -- fact. I even do it myself when using the G41.

Take the FF-Apartments alley example. With Karabiner 98k, I rarely ever miss someone coming down that alley. I take the half-second-to-a-second I need to line the shot up perfectly, and fire, knowing that I have to make the shot count. It never fails. Not so with G43 -- instinctively, I know that I will be able to get off at least two shots before the target can slip back out of the alley, and that first shot has a much greater chance of missing. The second shot rarely ever hits. Why? Very simple, it's because whether you like it or not you are taking each shot for granted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0