• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Falling off a one-story ledge should not instantly kill you.

jay35

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2011
At worst it should just cut your stamina meter bar in half and maybe pause your movement for a second.

There is absolutely no reason stepping off a sagging one story ledge kills you. You should be able to drop to the floor below without a problem, especially in a game that is advanced enough to have mantling and gun aim support when placed against objects.

Just add a one second pause upon landing if you're worried about some imaginary balance issue. Straight up killing the player is just ridiculous, though.

so in real life you die after falling 8 feet....
If you're heavy enough and are wearing at least a hundred or so extra lbs of equipment you're gonna break a bone or two, incapacitating the player. "killing" the player is the best option over CoD's "oof, I just broke my leg, ah well I'll just wait for the blood to come out of my eyes and I'll be all better"

Upvote 0
go out and try doing that in full combat gear, and tell me if u could keep running , and acting normal after one second. :)

Well if we go that much in detail,whats worse? falling down 8 feet and die or getting shot in the leg with 7mm bullet and being able to patch it magically?

OP has a point,you should loose health and be slow for 5-10 sec after falling down 6-8 feet,but death is not what should happen after the fall....

Upvote 0
If you're heavy enough and are wearing at least a hundred or so extra lbs of equipment you're gonna break a bone or two, incapacitating the player. "killing" the player is the best option over CoD's "oof, I just broke my leg, ah well I'll just wait for the blood to come out of my eyes and I'll be all better"

yet again if you can patch a bullet hole you should be able to survive a fall like that with some penalty offcourse.

Upvote 0
Mmmm, I haven't fallen 1 story in full battle rattle but pretty close. Didn't break any bones but it did suck.

I have, however, in the game died falling 1-2 feet. Apartments there is a ledge that kinda hangs over nothing. I swear I feel 1-2 feet at *most* and instantly died.

Beta though, not gonna complain, just going to watch where I land next time ;D

Upvote 0

Soldiers in World War Two weren't carrying 100x pounds of weight on their kit.

Upvote 0
Soldiers in World War Two weren't carrying 100x pounds of weight on their kit.
True...
Some kind of penalty should be in place if you take "fall damage" like permanently slower walking speed and a limp due to you having hurt yourself. But for the lower, less dangerous heights a slight "oof" and slower movement speed while you re-adjust yourself would be in order.

Upvote 0

Forgive me if im wrong but if I am not mistaken I was of the belief that the majority of time in combat you wouldn't be carrying nearly so much just your canteen and your weapons?

I think really it would be nice if we were able to "reverse" mantle" by backwards facing a one story drop that simulates hanging off of the edge and dropping down as lets face it that is hardly out of the question if you need to get behind the enemy or to simply evacuate a position.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nah, Thema OPs suggestion would only promote gamey tactics like literally dropping on enemies. So let's keep it the way it is.
Nope. Any enemy you could drop in on, you could just as easily shoot from where you stand. This is an issue primarily in maps like Apartments, as others have noted, where there are a number of easy-drop ledges that amount to all of 3-6 foot drops that absolutely should not kill you, just slow you for a second or two, if anything.

And let's not allow the distraction argument over how much weight soldiers carried to be used. In WW2, soldiers in combat didn't even have body armor, let alone a big pack on their back or any of the modern gadgets that weight down modern soldiers. Regardless, this 'death over a 4-foot drop that wouldn't even break a bone' is something that needs fixing so we're bringing it up to add to the list.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind a way to mantle off of ledges, if it's a realistic distance to drop. But honestly, it's not worth the time to implement it.

Instead they could just do something like strained or broken legs depending on the height, which would basically either make you unable to walk, or walk at a much slower pace.

Upvote 0