• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

toggle controls = deal breaker

SkinZ187

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
just want to start off by saying this game looks great from the little time ive played in the beta. this thread is not meant to bash or start any kind of flame war. if this is not a "controls" option, that you personally as the reader of this thread are interested in, please dont post in this thread, as your opinion is irrelevant.

im just wondering if the option to have aim down sights and crouch keys as press and hold, and not have them as toggle only will be implemented. every fps game i have ever played, gave this option, and its just so uncomfortable for me to play with these as toggle. in fact, its not something im even willing to adjust to, because i have 10 years fps experience and dont want to have to re-invent the way i play fps just for one game (albeit, this game will be awesome).

before anyone that likes and uses toggle controls criticizes those of us that want this option... how would you feel if you all the sudden were "forced" to play with ivert mouse (an example). you also would not want to have to re-invent the way you play, just to adjust to RO2...so please keep our point of view in mind before you bash.

by implementing these control options (which should be simple), twi would NOT be giving us any kind of advantage. this would not be the same as quickscoping..so dont even go there. in fact, for those of us that dont like toggle ads/crouch...we could argue that if anything, we play at a dis-advantage.

PLEASE, TWI. implement these simple control options. if not, i may have to cancel my pre-order... and im not saying that as a threat, its just the truth. i will go away quietly. im just hoping a mod/developer will please let us know one way or the other.

p.s. - i already implemented the fix in the .ini file - it works - but is very buggy so its not really a good work around.

Reactions: CrazyFingers
Since the INI file isn't encrypted, you should be able to change those manually.

I think the duck one is natively, not toggle, and there's an alias to make it toggle. Keybind directly to the original command (bduck?) or something like that. And the iron sights, you may be able to figure out binding using the "OnRelease" command. Look up Unreal keybinds to figure out the syntax.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not a deal breaker. It's a totally reasonably request. But for those of us who play A LOT of FPS, of every different stripe, it's a crap shoot every time which method (toggle, hold or option) the game chooses to use. I personally hate holding to do anything....it's just that much more tension in my hand when I'm trying to aim meticulously. But I don't peg my playing the game or not on one control feature.

Like I said, it's a reasonable request. But personally I think you could grow a slightly thicker skin too. If toggle vs. hold is a deal breaker, man, that justifies about 90% of anything else people call a deal breaker about the game.

Upvote 0
alright gentlemen...i may have went overboard with dealbreaker comment :)

but its just something i want in the game very badly. i just cant get used to toggle ads for some reason...i dunno, i guess its just so engrained in my head, lol.

funny im like the exact opposite. i love having everything on toggle, the less buttons i got to hold down the better.

Upvote 0
Dear OP and RO2 Devs,

I agree. I hate any control where I have to toggle something. It greatly decreases the time I have to react and inhibits my play. The Beta is good, not great, but good. I run it fine, I love the gun-play, and all of the mechanics are brilliant, bar a few bugs with each. But if there's anything I hate about RO2 is the control options or indeed the lack of.

If this could be implemented soon, that'd be amazing and I would play it much more than I do but right now it's a hindrance to my gameplay and I find myself dying constantly because I'm pressing crouch while hidden, standing up mistakenly and being shot right between the eyes. Please fix.

Much love,
-A Loyal Customer.

Upvote 0
alright gentlemen...i may have went overboard with dealbreaker comment :)

but its just something i want in the game very badly. i just cant get used to toggle ads for some reason...i dunno, i guess its just so engrained in my head, lol.

Lol, nice selfmoderation there.

I agree fully with you though, that the toggle controls are very annoying, i want hold-controls for crouch and aim.

funny im like the exact opposite. i love having everything on toggle, the less buttons i got to hold down the better.

Each to their own taste, this should be configurable. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0