• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Did nobody like Mare Nostrum?

Mosin

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
I bought RO a few months ago and it included Darkest Hour and Mare Nostrum, its just that there is literally not a single person playing it. Seems like a shame too, it seems like a pretty cool game. Did no one enjoy playing it or did the popularity of DH kill it?

Maps killed it. It had only one balanced map that worked at launch. Then came the DH and even it failed at good launch maps, but it had the mappers behind it and they made some really good maps for it that are popular even today.

It might be because African front don't interest people that much, which is a shame because more fronts introduced is always better :(.

Upvote 0
The people that worked on it learned how to make a mod from scratch up.
A good many of them are still here and still modding. Nothing was lost and I believe we will see the proof soon enough.

Best olive trees in the world...eh Sam!!!

Good point. Aren't a lot of the MN guys now working on the In Country: Vietnam mod? I haven't heard anything from them in a long time but I'm sure they'll make a great game, Vietnam would suit the gameplay of RO nicely.

Upvote 0
I previously had the majority of RO players down as discerning types who would relish the Romanian army and North African settings but on the whole i was very wrong.
The issue was as much about the amount of ppl prepared to work on them as play them - but so many wanted to contribute to the more mainstream mod (phaps in some cases - being kind here - anticipating it's popularity rather than finding it more interesting)
CC and MN were simply too daring with their theaters to survive.

Upvote 0
I previously had the majority of RO players down as discerning types who would relish the Romanian army and North African settings but on the whole i was very wrong.
The issue was as much about the amount of ppl prepared to work on them as play them - but so many wanted to contribute to the more mainstream mod (phaps in some cases - being kind here - anticipating it's popularity rather than finding it more interesting)
CC and MN were simply too daring with their theaters to survive.

Sorry mate, I have to disagree.

I had the chance to look through all of the mod builds while they were being implemented into the master game. Each and every one is so independent that the question of us & them, no go.
Besides, there was enough co-operation between one or another to make it work, most of the time...

Mods apart, the 1st & 2nd map contest phases were a Jewell to behold, I have never witnessed professionally or privately such support from all concerned.

CC was indeed integrated into the system and the birth was very painful, (total crash).

DH, well, I've never been so scared in my life...

Lets see what Game2 can do....yes....

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Both CC and MN's quality where just not up to par with RO itself IMO. The animations were off, laggy, and the maps where not that good. It is a shame because I actually liked the African setting. Even DH suffers these issues, though not as bad now. Typically I can't stand playing DH either and stop playing after 20 or so minutes and switch to vanilla RO.

I have high hopes for the RO2 mods and hope I find them more enjoyable than RO1s.

Upvote 0
Sorry mate, I have to disagree.

I had the chance to look through all of the mod builds while they were being implemented into the master game. Each and every one is so independent that the question of us & them, no go.
Besides, there was enough co-operation between one or another to make it work, most of the time...

Mods apart, the 1st & 2nd map contest phases were a Jewell to behold, I have never witnessed professionally or privately such support from all concerned.

CC was indeed integrated into the system and the birth was very painful, (total crash).

DH, well, I've never been so scared in my life...

Lets see what Game2 can do....yes....

Thanks.

sorry i don't know if you're making new points, i don't quite follow them, but what i mean is -

DH was the 3rd announced mod yet had far more interest than the other 2 - both in terms of contributors and players - before any mod was playable.

I can't see the issue of quality being a factor because i think most honest ppl would have agreed that CC and MN were a lot more polished upon release.

I'm afraid don't remember CC having major long term problems upon release, i played it a lot while it was populated. I appreciate the team decided to call it a day and not build on the first release thou.
MN certainly suffered from not having armour on first release, but this was in no small part due to the modeler and lead texture artist abandoning the mod to make DH, leaving a small team remaining with no origional useable vehicles at all.
It was a new team member who, with the help of the lead coder, basically got all the vehicles up himself (modelled, textured rigged the lot), most from scratch some from abandoned ext models that still needed masses of work.
(Considering that he was learning the required processes at the time and had to rush these models out the achievement is absolutely outstanding.)

DH always had far more ppl involved then the 2 other mods combined - and like i say i was surprised and disappointed because the vibe i always got from RO was that it was played by ppl more knowledgeable of the rarer aspects of the war and who would like to see new, interesting stuff.

Upvote 0