• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

controller support, need to know.

Cobra_H1

Jul 8, 2011
Will there be gamepad support? (xbox360 controller to be exact)

I'm not talking about auto aim like that troll post, but I need to know if it will work out of the box or with a little tweaking without any 3rd party software.

Bracing for incoming flaming, hoping for an actual answer,
- Tyler

Will there be gamepad support? (xbox360 controller to be exact)

I'm not talking about auto aim like that troll post, but I need to know if it will work out of the box or with a little tweaking without any 3rd party software.

Bracing for incoming flaming, hoping for an actual answer,
- Tyler

Chances are there will be some way to bind certain keys to a controller, but due to so many keys involved in playing the game decently, as well as trying to actually line up an accurate shot with the controller without any console auto-aim feature.... and not being able to turn around as quickly as you would with a mouse...... you'd be putting yourself at a huge disadvantage.

My guess is that there won't be a lot of support in the game for a controller, but you could probably modify some settings in cfg files at the very least..... however I am confused as to why you'd even want to try.

You'd either have to use the controller and still have to jump to the keyboard to hit the other keys you can't bind to the controller (not enough buttons) or use the controller and use the mouse, which might work better than keyboard and controller, but it still wouldn't equal the good ol' keyboard & mouse setup.

I'm just curious as to why you'd want to use a controller.

Reactions: SolitarioSoldat
Upvote 0
Welp, to answer as to why I want to use one, I have both a laptop and htpc, former console gamer, and I'm really stubborn. K/M just doesn't feel natural for me.

Also I do fairly well in TF2 and CoD black ops, and neither of those have any aim assist on the pc. If you gents stay polite I can record some gameplay to show I'm decent against your average K/M player.

As for editing the config file, does anyone know if RO2 will support the triggers on the 360 pad? (I know first hand killing floor doesn't).

Thank you for being civil,
-Tyler

Upvote 0
Welp, to answer as to why I want to use one, I have both a laptop and htpc, former console gamer, and I'm really stubborn. K/M just doesn't feel natural for me.

Also I do fairly well in TF2 and CoD black ops, and neither of those have any aim assist on the pc. If you gents stay polite I can record some gameplay to show I'm decent against your average K/M player.

As for editing the config file, does anyone know if RO2 will support the triggers on the 360 pad? (I know first hand killing floor doesn't).

-Tyler

I think the devs should answer that question, cause your guess is as good as mine. I know there are some program that emulate the use of k+m. Not sure how well they preform.

Upvote 0

Understandable, I was reluctant to using a mouse & keyboard back when Quake I first came out, where my previous FPS experience was with Doom and Wolf3D.... it just seemed too complicated and not very nessecary. I continued to just use the keyboard to move around and shoot, but then I quickly learned that I couldn't shoot anybody above or below me, my movement was limited and I was just getting killed all the time.

It took me a couple of days to get used to the Mouse & Keyboard, but once I got used to it, I never turned back and refuse to play any FPS on a console/with a controller.... to me, those feel unnatural and the gameplay is robotic in movement, where the mouse moves like your head attached to your neck, you can look & aim almost as quickly as you would in real life......

You can try using the controller, but I'd strongly suggest figuring out the keyboard & mouse. I don't like using the typical WASD movement setup that most use. I tend to use the arrow keys and the keys surrounding those, because it's more spread out and I don't accidentally hit the wrong key often, and I don't have to keep looking down to see if I have my fingers on the right keys.... try the arrow key setup first, as I think that's a lot easier to get used to.

The only FPS on console I ever found the controls to be perfectly designed and easy to use was the Metroid Prime games on the Gamecube.

-Tyler

Well I had a PC controller which was basically a clone of the PS2/3 controller and many games registered the x/y/z axis of the joysticks, so it should be possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here's a bit of gameplay footage of me using my xbox controller from a very recent game in Call of Duty Black ops: (18 kills, 8 deaths, 2 killstreak kills)
Black Ops pc: Xbox controller gameplay - YouTube

Somewhat saddening because I had great match on a huge map called array using a skorpion where I went 18/7 with 3 across map kills, yet it wouldn't show up in my recent games for a replay.

Also, I noticed an odd player who joined for a brief period during the game during the above recorded game:
Spoiler!

(used a spoiler because the image is huge).

Wish I could've asked them about gamepad support (lol).

The vid posted is only posted to show you pc players that there are some good gamepad users out there who don't need aim assist, perhaps I'll try to get TF2 gameplay too,
- Tyler

Upvote 0
I understand why it is you want to use a 360 controller with the game.

But honestly. Try and get used to Mouse and KeyBoard for this title - it'll be worth it, really.

I mean, for example, you've lined up a shot, you take it thinking it's gonna hit your target, but no, it misses, chances are someone else, or the guy you just shot at, has now seen your position, and is now returning fire. So you'll have to re-line that shot, as awkward as it was the first time around, you'll now have to do it under surpression, which will be reduced accuracy.

Mouse and Keyboards rule for almost any game, bar crappy console ports as previously mentioned. I got defeated by a door in SilentHill HomeComing, because the controls were just awful.

Upvote 0
Here's a bit of gameplay footage of me using my xbox controller from a very recent game in Call of Duty Black ops: (18 kills, 8 deaths, 2 killstreak kills)
Black Ops pc: Xbox controller gameplay - YouTube

Somewhat saddening because I had great match on a huge map called array using a skorpion where I went 18/7 with 3 across map kills, yet it wouldn't show up in my recent games for a replay.

The vid posted is only posted to show you pc players that there are some good gamepad users out there who don't need aim assist, perhaps I'll try to get TF2 gameplay too,
- Tyler

Well I'm by no means knocking you, but that video, compared to what's required in RO2 & RO1 & Mod, you're going to have some adjustments to make.

For running and gunning you managed to get an average about about two kills per death, which isn't too bad for using the controller and being pretty much in a team deathmatch situation.

Those tactics certainly won't work well in an RO scenario, and I could see the stiffness in your aim & movements from the controller. Most of what I saw in regards to kills, were a few iron sight shots, which is good, but also a lot of spraying and praying & going out rambo style.

The problem with the iron sights part, as an example, look at 26 seconds into the video when you shoot through the truck. It's clearly seen that due to the controller, your shot went too far left and by the time you got centred, you got shot. And while you were centering, you were also unloading bullets in the standard laser shot of bullets you get from a controller, in hopes of getting on target it time.

When it comes to the differences between controllers and mouse/keyboard, it boils down to reflexes. You have more accurate reflexes with a mouse and keyboard. And once you picked up on how it all works, that score very well could have been 4-6 kills per death at the very least.

Now by all means, if you want to use your controller and you feel you are doing just fine, then that's all that matters. It's your game after all..... but eventually, I would strongly suggest you practice with the keyboard and mouse for a bit and see how it works.

I mentioned before that I use the arrow keys, rather than the WASD standard.

I do this because not only are the keys more spread out, but it does feel closer to being a controller setup.

Upvote 0
Controller Support

Controller Support

Has there been anything official said about controller support? This is a big deal for me personally. I do all my pc gaming from a chair several feet away from my TV. Many games all but require keyboard / mouse / me sitting at a desk.

Would greatly appreciate controller support out of the box. I don't care how many features won't work off the controller, I can put my keyboard in my lap if necessary but using a keyboard/mouse combo is no fun at all for me sitting in a lazyboy.

Hopefully the FOV and interface icons can be scaled if necessary.

I recently bought Battlefield Bad Company 2 and CoD4 on steam and was really disappointed that neither of those supported a controller. BFBC2 also had a FOV that was too small to use from where I sit. Wish I'd known that before buying those, never going to touch them again on the pc. Loved the games on the 360, would prefer to be able to play them on the pc.

Please support using a controller. I don't care how much of a disadvantage it is for me, if you make the game playable with a controller I'm sure I can have fun.

Upvote 0
I know that RO will require a change up in tactics as from I heard it's much more simulation, like ARMA 2 (which despite its hundreds of commands has hassle free one click enabled gamepad support), rather than arcade like Call of Duty.

I do hear (read) you gents, and I am and have always been quite aware that mouse is faster and more precise than a controller. But like I said earlier, I'm stubborn and only game on my laptop and htpc, and I do know I will die quite a few times from overcompensating and/or under compensating for my aim.

Still, I can sit down on my couch or lie down in my bed and die to you gents comfortably ;). Versatility is what makes the pc great, you can use the classic keyboard and mouse, and xbox controller, wii controller, even a ps3 controller in most games. I think we should all embrace that, same with developers.

And you never know, I could still turn mostly positive results while only having about 5-10% of my shots hit :rolleyes: (At least I'm confident in myself),
-Tyler

Upvote 0
I really don't think they will have controller support for the release they might add it after if they get enough requests. But this still has to be confirmed by a Dev.... Hopefully someone will reply.

You should try out the M/K, really, cause from the look of you're gameplay you might only get kills with an smg i hardly see how you might manage with anything else but who knows, if you do manage playing with a controller and you get kills with a rifle, I want to see a another video on here!!!

In many situations in red orchestra if you miss you're first shot, it is you're last.

Good Luck

Upvote 0