• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PBBans supports Red Orchestra 2

I just read the other thread that was locked on this topic. Did an admin really come in and mess with the poll? Eh, whatever. Weird.

pbbans? No experience with it.

agreed... seems kinda bs to close a thread and alter the effects of its poll. Just gotta keep in mind that moderators are typically volunteers and do not represent the company....

Upvote 0
Been playing online games well since 2001 i believe. A lot of those games had punkbuster, and i never had a problem really. And i already went thru about 6-7 different computer configurations since then.

I know that two of my friends got banned by punkbuster multiple times (it was in call of duty 2 and 4 i think), but they were cheaters. Hell they even bought cheats, and they still got banned. Oh how i laughed in their faces irl each time they got banned.

Well anyway i understand the concern of some people here, but in reality for a good anti-cheat software to work it needs complete access to your computer. Also it's not the only program checking what you have running in the background, and what you have installed. Steam also does this for example.

P.S. If i made any spelling errors or if something doesn't make sence, don't blame me cause it's 10 am here and i haven't slept all night

Last edited:
Upvote 0
agreed... seems kinda bs to close a thread and alter the effects of its poll. Just gotta keep in mind that moderators are typically volunteers and do not represent the company....

Who cares about the result of a poll created by a troll, which got locked by a...doll? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I'm fairly sure that PunkBuster will need to be installed and running irrelevant of whether or not you actually intend to utilize PunkBuster within the game. It'd seem impractical for those who do want to connect to PunkBuster enabled servers to be kicked from the game to install it.

Note there is a difference between PunkBuster and PBBans; PBBans is a third party streaming service to PunkBuster which utilizes PunkBuster UCON streaming technology. Neither are officially associated and neither should be confused with the other.

Irrelevant of any calls to remove PunkBuster or PBBans from the anti-cheat equation Tripwire are intending to keep to their anti-cheat plans and that's that. Never before (to my knowledge) has a game developer offered such a range of option for anti-cheat and to rip into that based on various opinions of inadequacy is wrong to do so in the least - wait and see how the game turns out.

Of course people may have genuine concerns and that's why we're all here... to discuss objectively. Unlike http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=55875

Upvote 0
Been playing online games well since 2001 i believe. A lot of those games had punkbuster, and i never had a problem really. And i already went thru about 6-7 different computer configurations since then.

I know that two of my friends got banned by punkbuster multiple times (it was in call of duty 2 and 4 i think), but they were cheaters. Hell they even bought cheats, and they still got banned. Oh how i laughed in their faces irl each time they got banned.

Well anyway i understand the concern of some people here, but in reality for a good anti-cheat software to work it needs complete access to your computer. Also it's not the only program checking what you have running in the background, and what you have installed. Steam also does this for example.

P.S. If i made any spelling errors or if something doesn't make sence, don't blame me cause it's 10 am here and i haven't slept all night

one of the problems is that when it boils down to it, anti cheat software is not effective. People still cheat with pb enabled and with vac enabled. There is only one effective way to combat cheating and thats with good administrators.

People feel comfortable with the anti cheat software, they don't feel the need to give alot of members admin powers and cheaters are rampant. The only effective way to get rid of cheats is good administrators and we need to stop pretending there are other ways, and start promoting good administration with shooters.

Punkbuster does give false posetives and people are banned that have done nothing wrong. And yes, you may have never experianced that, and you may not care, but when you get banned from all your favorite servers because pb got a false positive and you're no longer capable of enjoying the game, your attitude will change. Its inconsiderate and reckless of you yo not take into account these victims.

Upvote 0
SuperTaz,

Could you please change that when the game starts both services A&B starts at the same time?

Not trying to offend anyone. If i do, apologies :). I feel always that PBB is spying on me when i am not playing games, yet still one service runs in the background all times with connection to the internet. Looks like a backdoor to be honest. Or make a civilized solution please.

I have been experiencing PBB since the start, and with all respect, i stil dont like your piece of software.

Thanks,

Regards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
PunkBuster has in the past given off false positive bans... but actually so has VAC. So if you look at it from that angle neither is better than the other.

It's the response to false positives that matters and PBBans will remove any violations from it's MBi which are determined to be a result of false positive detections.

EvenBalance (PunkBuster) do investigate false positive bans and take appropriate action where it is necessary.

Upvote 0
Who cares about the result of a poll created by a troll, which got locked by a...doll? :rolleyes:

oh great, the witch hunt begins. lets tie those trolls to stakes and burn them alive. Whether the person was a troll or not the points he made in the OP and the poll brought up legitimate concerns. It looks bad imo when a game company has threads that are giving feedback on game features locked and distorted by its moderators.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
PBBans is not PunkBuster - just a third party service which utilizes PunkBuster technology. You can make your comments to EvenBalance at http://evenbalance.com/troubleticket/

SuperTaz,

Could you please change that when the game starts both services A&B starts at the same time?

Not trying to offend anyone. If i do, apologies :). I feel always that PBB is spying on me when i am not playing games, yet still one service runs in the background all times with connection to the internet. Looks like a backdoor to be honest. Or make a civilized solution please.

I have been experiencing PBB since the start, and with all respect, i stil dont like your piece of software.

Thanks,

Regards.

Upvote 0
one of the problems is that when it boils down to it, anti cheat software is not effective. People still cheat with pb enabled and with vac enabled. There is only one effective way to combat cheating and thats with good administrators.

People feel comfortable with the anti cheat software, they don't feel the need to give alot of members admin powers and cheaters are rampant. The only effective way to get rid of cheats is good administrators and we need to stop pretending there are other ways, and start promoting good administration with shooters.

Punkbuster does give false posetives and people are banned that have done nothing wrong. And yes, you may have never experianced that, and you may not care, but when you get banned from all your favorite servers because pb got a false positive and you're no longer capable of enjoying the game, your attitude will change. Its inconsiderate and reckless of you yo not take into account these victims.

Yep good administrators are the way to go. The thing is 90% of the time the admin will not be present, or couldn't be bothered with logging on and administrating the server, because you know they have lives and stuff to take care of. So we still have cheaters running rampant.

Also if there ever was a problem with punkbuster giving me a false positive i wouldn't really be mad. Because it would be a FALSE positive. I would just make a support ticket, make myself a coffe and go off playing some other game until that one is solved.

If it is not solved i simply wouldn't buy a game with punkbuster in it ever again. No need to get mad about it. It is still just a game.

Upvote 0
oh great, the witch hunt begins. lets tie those trolls to stakes and burn them alive. Whether the person was a troll or not the points he made in the OP and the poll brought up legitimate concerns. It looks bad imo when a game company has threads that are giving feedback on game features locked and distorted by its moderators.

Yeah i saw the pool results of 500,000,000,000 pro votes, and i really laughed out loud. But his pool wouldn't have changed anything, they are not taking pb out a month before release. I higly doubt it.

Upvote 0
Yep good administrators are the way to go. The thing is 90% of the time the admin will not be present, or couldn't be bothered with logging on and administrating the server, because you know they have lives and stuff to take care of. So we still have cheaters running rampant.

Also if there ever was a problem with punkbuster giving me a false positive i wouldn't really be mad. Because it would be a FALSE positive. I would just make a support ticket, make myself a coffe and go off playing some other game until that one is solved.

If it is not solved i simply wouldn't buy a game with punkbuster in it ever again. No need to get mad about it. It is still just a game.

a server having only a single adminstrator is a server full of cheaters. Yes, if you have single admin, it is not realistic for you to expect them to keep cheaters out. Thats why you have as many responsible and mature adults with the power to the very least kick people if not ban them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
a server having only a single moderator is a server full of cheaters. Yes, if you have single moderator, it is not realistic for you to expect them to keep cheaters out. Thats why you have as many responsible and mature adults with the power to the very least kick people if not ban them.

I've played 40 hours of RO:OST this week, and i've seen a server admin present only once. I also played Bad company 2 for 400 hours, and i've seen an admin maybe 10-20 times. I will not even mention CSS cause admins there seem to be nonexistant.
If you really do find servers that have admins online most of the time, then please let me know. I would love to see that.

Upvote 0
Yeah i saw the pool results of 500,000,000,000 pro votes, and i really laughed out loud. But his pool wouldn't have changed anything, they are not taking pb out a month before release. I higly doubt it.

first of all, i am not a fan of a moderator closing a thread without leaving a post commenting on the reason it was closed. Is it because this thread's topic is too similar, is it because it criticized the game, is it because people later on in the thread were just trolling? i don't know.

One thing the thread could of done was give awareness to the community about the failures of pb and maybe more servers would running without pb at launch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've played 40 hours of RO:OST this week, and i've seen a server admin present only once. I also played Bad company 2 for 400 hours, and i've seen an admin maybe 10-20 times. I will not even mention CSS cause admins there seem to be nonexistant.
If you really do find servers that have admins online most of the time, then please let me know. I would love to see that.

i typically play tf2 on one of the servers run by the drunken brawl community, and if there are at least 5 people on one of their servers, chances are at least one of them is an admin... and people love it, there are players either currently in invite level competitive teams, or are former members of invite level teams that frequent the server because it runs so smoothly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
duhsveti said:

Web Admin is used quite a bit, so you may not see an actual 'labeled' admin playing on the server. Also, like Atavax said, some trusted regulars are given admin powers as well and they may not be labeled as such. Ask for an admin on Old Glory and someone will respond rather quickly.

As to what you said about Steam checking what programs you have installed.. Steam doesnt run all the time on your PC either like PB does. This is why I was asking the PBB guy if it could just be uninstalled when you arent using it.

Upvote 0
Web Admin is used quite a bit, so you may not see an actual 'labeled' admin playing on the server. Also, like Atavax said, some trusted regulars are given admin powers as well and they may not be labeled as such. Ask for an admin on Old Glory and someone will respond rather quickly.

yep, i don't think admins ever have a label in tf2... its better that way, cheaters and trouble makers in general tend to only misbehave when they don't know an admin is on.

Upvote 0
first of all, i am not a fan of a moderator closing a thread without leaving a post commenting on the reason it was closed. Is it because this thread's topic is too similar, is it because it criticized the game, is it because people later on in the thread were just trolling? i don't know.

One thing the thread could of done was give awareness to the community about the failures of pb and maybe more servers would running without pb at launch.

Well i think this thread would do the job. It is quite big and lenghtly after all.

i typically play tf2 on one of the servers run by the drunken brawl community, and if there are at least 5 people on one of their servers, chances are at least one of them is an admin...

Actually yes now that you mention it, tf2 does seem to have quite a bit of admins running around the servers. I forgot about that game.
Also i remember seeing quite a bit of admins on day of defeat servers.

And if i don't see them it doesn't mean they are not there monitoring the chat on the console. But they are still only human, and they are not unmistakable.
I've never been kicked by punkbuster or banned by vac or punkbuster, but i've been banned and kicked from servers by admins for supposed "cheating" dozens of times.

Upvote 0
Punk buster is just rubbish, i've had nothing but issues with it, random bans on servers, a complete ban on a newly bought battlefield game, somehow my cd key was linked to a banned player from years before i got it.

I was told this was some sort of bug, but there's lots of people that wouldn't know enough about PB to get it lifted, also you get kicked randomly it seems. PB is Very temperamental.

Upvote 0