• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

US Military

I didn't know that. I kind of like the old look better. Also, this looks nice as well:

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/moxiepix/b1_1141.jpghttp://www.armystudyguide.com/content/moxiepix/b1_1141.jpg

Well, the reason he has the canister on that side of the mask is so that it won't get in the way of using his rifle when it is shouldered. They do muffle your voice some, but it would still be clear over a radio.

As for US involvement, it is a difficult matter, as far as results. Politics gets in the way a lot with that kind of stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A incident such as this would not escape international eyes.

Britain is a major ally, militarily and economically, to the United States. The U.S. would intervene to help, mainly for economics. The States wouldn't be the only ones there, NATO would be in there too. Canada, Australia, and possibly France would all be conducting operations.

I think a DLC consisting of other NATO forces would be highly realistic.

Also, to those saying they are sick of the States being in every game, a DLC like this one feature only one American. Even if OP got a DLC full of Americans, it still doesn't take away that it is in Britain with the majority of the weaponry and characters being British.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's like saying the AA12 should be inaccurate so support can't just rely on that weapon alone. Or the.. Rifle that SS's have, even though below suicidal I haven't seen anyone use it. They're big, they're expensive, they're powerful. Which is the whole point

It's called game balance. Think about it in this way: are you going to ever buy an M79 when you have an AR+GL and that GL does the same thing as the M79 alone? The only point then for the M79 is have extra ammo. That, or make the M203 have inaccuracy that is actually notice-able, and thus make it not as good as getting the dedicated GL if you are worried about long range accuracy. Of course, if they are both closer range shots, then that inaccuracy won't make too big a difference. It's just at long enough a range to make it have a difference.

The AA12 example you are trying to use would work if the MGL-140 wasn't already in the game and I was suggesting that to be less accurate. Both of which are dedicated to the role of the perk using it, though, so let me make a Support/Commando combo weapon quickie. To make it work in another combo weapon's terms, I'd suggest a wider spread with an AR+Masterkey combo on that Masterkey. Not to mention the smaller tube capacity if using a traditional pump shottie as the Masterkey.

Upvote 0
It's called game balance. Think about it in this way: are you going to ever buy an M79 when you have an AR+GL and that GL does the same thing as the M79 alone? The only point then for the M79 is have extra ammo. That, or make the M203 have inaccuracy that is actually notice-able, and thus make it not as good as getting the dedicated GL if you are worried about long range accuracy. Of course, if they are both closer range shots, then that inaccuracy won't make too big a difference. It's just at long enough a range to make it have a difference.

This post is ironic, as the M203 was specifically developed to be a replacement for the M79.

Upvote 0
A incident such as this would not escape international eyes.

Britain is a major ally, militarily and economically, to the United States. The U.S. would intervene to help, mainly for economics. The States wouldn't be the only ones there, NATO would be in there too. Canada, Australia, and possibly France

you'll see a lot of very fat well-fed specimens before armed frenchmen are tolerated on British soil.

Reactions: Gartley
Upvote 0
Think about it in this way: are you going to ever buy an M79 when you have an AR+GL and that GL does the same thing as the M79 alone?

Easy, long reload times. Or keep it at M79, but reload can't be interrupted. Could also make it less powerful, although the M79 has a lot more ammo. Make picking up AR+GL ammo difficult. Giving one grenade from a box like normal grenades would elevate it to pipe bomb away from a trader difficulty. Which would be perfectly balanced given that they have an assault rifle as well.

I don't actually like the idea all that much since the gun would probably sound terrible and be equivalent to a bullpup for damage. TWI don't have the resources of BF:BC2 guys.. But it would be a good upgrade from bullpup, about equivalent to SCAR. Giving them an extra weapon to choose from that has less damage but alternative features would be useful.

Or perk blending.. I like that idea, multiclassing ftw. lol

Upvote 0
Easy, long reload times. Or keep it at M79, but reload can't be interrupted. Could also make it less powerful, although the M79 has a lot more ammo. Make picking up AR+GL ammo difficult. Giving one grenade from a box like normal grenades would elevate it to pipe bomb away from a trader difficulty. Which would be perfectly balanced given that they have an assault rifle as well.

Yeah, a slight reload rate decrease from the M79 would work fine. As for less powerful... no. The grenade is the same. And IIRC, fired at the same muzzle velocity as well. As for the last bit, I agree with that. Ammo box gives a grenade and a mag.

On other things with a combo weapon... so we can avoid having the M16 suggestion, but have a slightly more interesting setup with firemodes... I think I might make a new thread for the AN-94. And have two variants in that thread to have the idea of just the base AR, and one with an attached GP-30. That one would be feasible to have a slightly different power than the M203, M79, and M32.

Anyone up for a thread on the AN-94 with GP-30?

Upvote 0
People would think the AN-94 was modeled wrong, the mag actually has a 30 degree tilt on the real one. I have never seen the 2 round burst modeled correctly in any game that has it. It actually fires the 2 rounds at 2000rpm, not a normal burst, which is why it has the pulley recoil system and looks so weird in the first place. To give you an idea, a MAC 10 fires at 1100rpm. If you had it on 2 round burst, it would fire so fast, that it would be like one shot, in the game, so it would basically feel like a 15 round mag, hard to balance, since in effect, it would seem as fast as semi, but do double damage. Even the LURK mod for stalker didn't get it right.

To give you another idea, it would fire both those rounds in 1/33 of a second. I don't see this being properly implemented in a game, as it would effectively make semi pointless, as the felt recoil actually isn't much higher.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
People would think the AN-94 was modeled wrong, the mag actually has a 30 degree tilt on the real one.

It threw me off quite a bit when I saw that at first. To me, it's part of what makes it a unique weapon... a bit.

I have never seen the 2 round burst modeled correctly in any game that has it. It actually fires the 2 rounds at 2000rpm, not a normal burst, which is why it has the pulley recoil system and looks so weird in the first place.

I think MGS4 had it pretty well done. Never could manage to get a double hit on the same spot 100m away with it, though. And... wasn't it 1800RPM? Splitting hairs at that point though...

To give you an idea, a MAC 10 fires at 1100rpm. If you had it on 2 round burst, it would fire so fast, that it would be like one shot, in the game, so it would basically feel like a 15 round mag, hard to balance, since in effect, it would seem as fast as semi, but do double damage.

But it does give a much better way of avoiding the M16 suggestions.

As for balance with the power, I was thinking that it would do fine with having it only set to 2-shot burst with that GL as the secondary fire. The shots doing about 24 dmg might work nicely, so it's like doing 48 (yes, higher than the AK, but hear me out). However, having a max ammo capacity of 420 would act more like it was 210 shots.

Do a little math, though, and you find that this would work as 10,080 dmg total (no HS), whereas the AK can do 13,500 dmg total (no HS). Then figuring with the Bullpup, that one does 13,000 dmg total (no HS) and the Mk 17 does 19,500 dmg total (no HS). All these with no bonuses.

As for the GL, having it do a little less damage would be almost enough balance as is. I don't quite think a reload speed reduction would be really... realistic. I don't know much about the GP-30 though, but isn't it just front load a grenade and then pull trigger?

Upvote 0
Yeah, a slight reload rate decrease from the M79 would work fine. As for less powerful... no. The grenade is the same. And IIRC, fired at the same muzzle velocity as well. As for the last bit, I agree with that. Ammo box gives a grenade and a mag.

On other things with a combo weapon... so we can avoid having the M16 suggestion, but have a slightly more interesting setup with firemodes... I think I might make a new thread for the AN-94. And have two variants in that thread to have the idea of just the base AR, and one with an attached GP-30. That one would be feasible to have a slightly different power than the M203, M79, and M32.

Anyone up for a thread on the AN-94 with GP-30?

Spoiler!

I loved this in SoC. So i support this fully. It's an awesome-looking weapon with a cool firing animation.

Upvote 0
There seems to be some confusion in regards to the term skin.
A skin is a mesh that's fixed to a rig. The rig (aka bones/skeleton) move the skin.
There is only one rig. With multiple skins. (For Player Chars) This saves up a load of resources as there only needs to be one set of animations loaded.
The DLCs are not simply re-textures of the same model but a whole new model.

Just throwing that out there.

Yes, there does seem to be plenty of that, confusion.
A texture fixed to a mesh (or object) is a material. When that texture is fixed to conform to a UV of a mesh that has been unwrapped it is called a skin. When the mesh is fixed to a rig it's a rigged mesh. The terminology persists in every level of software used in the creation of these assets and in turn, those using them every day playing a vital role in clear communication.
But with terms like texture, material, skin, mesh, model, static, object, ragdoll, animation, collision, actor, pawn, and many more all converging, related, and relevant to one single thing in a game, it's understandable that it can get very confusing.

ott,
AR15 is a platform or a style of rifle, not a specific weapon. The AK for instance is the same; a general platform with many different variations. Also, there would likely be ramifications with a military force conducting operations in a foreign country with the intention of assisting the local population (do I really need to cite this one?). Contractors (mercs is such a dirty word) however would probably come in droves considering killing zeds gets you LODS EMONE.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ott,
AR15 is a platform or a style of rifle, not a specific weapon. The AK for instance is the same; a general platform with many different variations. Also, there would likely be ramifications with a military force conducting operations in a foreign country with the intention of assisting the local population (do I really need to cite this one?). Contractors (mercs is such a dirty word) however would probably come in droves considering killing zeds gets you LODS EMONE.

AR is a platform or style, AR15 is a specific rifle, the scaled-down 5.56x45mm version of the AR10; referring to the AR15 as a platform is incorrect, the correct reference would be that the AR is a platform, i.e. "the AR platform..."

AK (without a numerical designation) is also a platform, however the AK47, AK74, AKM and such aren't platforms but individiual weapons themselves.

I also agree about the politics behind ops in a foreign country, however i think this would be a special case; AFAIK there's not been a case where a military has aided a native population against a vionlently aggressive horde of genetically engineered specimens designed for war.

Upvote 0
AR15 is a specific rifle
True, it is specific to the Colt AR15. Bushmaster, RockRiver, etc, etc, etc.... all have their own versions based off the Armalite design, some with exchangeable parts, some not. They are each different but based off the same design in the same respect Tantal, Type56, Zastava M70 are derived from the AK model. We could make things easier though and just call everything an AK (unless it happens to be one, then it's a Glock).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
True, it is specific to the Colt AR15. Bushmaster, RockRiver, etc, etc, etc.... all have their own versions based off the Armalite design, some with exchangeable parts, some not. They are each different but based off the same design in the same respect Tantal, Type56, Zastava M70 are derived from the AK model. We could make things easier though and just call everything an AK (unless it happens to be one, then it's a Glock).

Let's just call everything a gun.
You can't really get much simpler than that.

On this topic, have you seen that gun that has the shoulder thing that goes up and the other gun that has a gun under it?

gun, gun gun? :D

Upvote 0
Another problem with the AN-94 you would have would be people saying, "why does it shoot one bullet when I have it set on 2 round burst", then you gotta go on a long detailed explanation of why it shoots like this, and it is really firing 2 bullets really fast, ect. That isn't a commonly known weapon, and I guarantee it would come up on the forums a lot, "WTF, this broken rifle only shoots 1 bullet on burst", ect.

Upvote 0