• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Interview?

Don't see what all the fuss is about with the weapon switching. It was pretty fast in roost and no one is making petitions about it.

actually, people complained about it in ROOST.......for years. instead of it being slowed down like the overwhelming majority of people wanted, it appears the opposite has happened and it's even faster in RO2.

Upvote 0
Here's an example of fast weapon switch to a pistol that I've encountered in RO -

Getting the jump on an MG'er whilst rounding a corner, going in for the bayo, MG'er quickly hits the 'discard weapon' key and instantly has a pistol in his hands, unloads clip into me. :rolleyes::D

I've seen a man pull his six shooter, fire two shots from the hip, and both targets explode at the same time, oh and he had to hit the hammer on his gun twice. So I've never really seen pistol switch and fire too fast for reality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the bayo unlock he is referring to is for the PTRS! Yes, huh, YES? maybe.. ?

shutupandtakemadosh.jpg

Also, Mr. Gibson just posted this on his Twitter, a video of the Russian Consulate Party. Sexy Soviet girls, vodka and Red Orchestra, I couldn't ask anything more for my Heaven.

Upvote 0
Ossius said:
I've seen a man pull his six shooter, fire two shots from the hip, and both targets explode at the same time, oh and he had to hit the hammer on his gun twice.

Haha, yeah, I've seen the same 'Superheroes' TV show.. and that guy is one in a million.

I'm not too worried about it, although I am one of those people who would like to have seen the player needing to put his primary gun away and pull out a nade or pistol in a more timely fashion; not syrupy slow, but certainly a bit slower than a four foot rifle with bayo simply disappearing and reappearing. A slower weapon switch would be more immersive and would also add a different dimension to how the game is played. Fast weapon switching only benefits the 'pwnage' type players; allowing them to act like cranked up Rambos. Stand back and take a look at how switching weapons really fast works and how it reflects on gameplay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colt .45 killer
Upvote 0
Also, as only select classes had a pistol, they weren't encountered all that often. And it was frustrating to ease up behind a sniper or MG with a bolt/bayo only to have them spin around get of 5 or 6 rounds from their insta-pistol.
Yeah pistols were kind of one of those nice things you find on the battlefield if you're a bolt action rifleman -- it's almost like a prize. Now, everyone and their mother is going to have a pistol, so you'll basically just have roving bands of rifleman having pistol shoot outs in all the CQB maps. Awesome.

Upvote 0
actually, people complained about it in ROOST.......for years. instead of it being slowed down like the overwhelming majority of people wanted, it appears the opposite has happened and it's even faster in RO2.

Wasn't fully aware of this, Though i see it's been a reoccuring issue over the years. I personally wouldn't mind a cool weapons swapping animation, but that would be a lot of animations for different weapons.

Upvote 0
Yeah pistols were kind of one of those nice things you find on the battlefield if you're a bolt action rifleman -- it's almost like a prize. Now, everyone and their mother is going to have a pistol, so you'll basically just have roving bands of rifleman having pistol shoot outs in all the CQB maps. Awesome.

1) Agree'd, finding a pistol was awesome! If it wasn't so unrealistically inaccurate it would be my primary if I found one.

2) No one said every class has a pistol now. I'm certain the rifleman class doesn't have a pistol, maybe the Assault class, but they already have a semi auto.

3) Most of the maps have been said to be huge, not worried about pistols over taking rifles.

EDIT: why would someone downvote this? I'm confused.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So far several members of the community have simply shrugged and said, "Why get worked up about a few unlocks? You'll have what you want eventually, so just grin and bear it."

All I have to say in reply is that I feel the greatest sympathy towards you if that's what the mainstream gaming industry has led you to feel about unlocks.

Unlocking a common peice of equipment such as a drum mag or bayonet, regardless of whether it occurs after ten or five hundred kills, simply doesn't add anything truly unique to the game. If I only need ten kills to obtain that bayonet, what satisfaction do I feel after obtaining it? Do I feel a particularly good sense of achievement? Am I a superior player? Will others be impressed at the bayonet I unlocked? Clearly not. In that case it would be better to just issue the bayonet from the start.

And if the bayonet is only obtainable after fifty kills or more, will I feel statisfied then after grinding my way to the unlock? Again, I will not--I will feel frustrated that I had to go to such lengths in order to be able to use something I should have had from the very beginning. At kill 19, 30, or 48, when I am shot seconds before picking off a crawling German with the PPSh, I will sit back in my chair and exhale in vexation that the hour when I can finally use a standard-issue drum mag is that much farther away.

And when I can finally slot that bayonet onto the muzzle of my K98, I will not feel pride or satisfaction but instead a dull feeling of belated vindication.

Recently I had to submit some medical records to my university to be declared eligible for a program. The university lost those records twice, and each time I resubmitted them until, days before the deadline, they confirmed that my records were complete. Upon opening that email, I sighed and muttered, "Finally." That is what I will feel upon unlocking the bayonet in RO2.

But, had the bayonet unlock for the SVT-40 instead been sights hand-painted black to reduce glare, I would indeed have felt a sense of satisfaction upon obtaining that fiftieth kill. That is because that simple modification is something extra, something special that my soldier obtained through hard-won experience. Six firefights in a burning apartment block had taught Strelok Vassilinovitch that dulling the sights of his rifle would allow him to more precisely align his sights on the enemy. THAT is something I would support whole-heartedly, joyfully.

Is that logic realy "rediculous," bazookatooth? Childish? Is it really the rambling of a self-declared "hardcore" RO player?

No--my opinion is not realism-fervor, or criticism for the sake of criticism, but rather concern over a feature that will alter the core gameplay of Red Orchestra. If I miss my hipshot at a submachine gunner in close quarters, what do I do now? Bolt my rifle and be cut down? Or charge swinging the butt end of my rifle, which, even disregarding the 20 rounds remaining in his magazine, is now evenly matched in power by the submachine gun's own buttstock?

If I have infiltrated an enemy-held building, do I give away my presence with the report of a gunshot, or do I take the chance that my buttswing will not fatally injure my oblivious enemy?

That is my opinion on why implementing common equipment as unlocks is objectionable--it adds nothing truly substantial to the gaming experience.

I have no objection to weapon upgrades done right.

Nor do I have an objection to enemy weapons being fielded by one particular side.

All I am suggesting is that many players won't feel better about unlocking a bayonet that they would have been issued even if the quartermasters were scraping the last loose cartridges out of the bottom of the last ammunition crates.

My criticism is meant to be wholly constructive. I give Tripwire my full support. Weeks earlier, I was tempted to post in the thread "Bayonets are unlocks?" and zealously defend Tripwire to the death.

"Trust them," I was itching to say, "Do you really think they would make such an essential peice of gear an unlock?" I stand by or can understand and accept almost everything new that RO2 offers--FOV zoom in iron sights, in-game languages etc... but this new peice of information has shaken me.

Without exaggeration, I would have unhesitatingly bet my chance to ever own the game that bayonets would never be an unlock.

Call it a mountain out of a molehill if you wish, but I believe that unlike using the mouse to control the tank turret, or the speed of weapon switching, this alters the very spirit of Red Orchestra.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I completely agree with this. I wanted slower weapon switching, not faster.

Will all of the classes have pistols in RO2? :confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
So far several members of the community have simply shrugged and said, "Why get worked up about a few unlocks? You'll have what you want eventually, so just grin and bear it."

All I have to say in reply is that I feel the greatest sympathy towards you if that's what the mainstream gaming industry has led you to feel about unlocks.

Unlocking a common peice of equipment such as a drum mag or bayonet, regardless of whether it occurs after ten or five hundred kills, simply doesn't add anything truly unique to the game. If I only need ten kills to obtain that bayonet, what satisfaction do I feel after obtaining it? Do I feel a particularly good sense of achievement? Am I a superior player? Will others be impressed at the bayonet I unlocked? Clearly not. In that case it would be better to just issue the bayonet from the start.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html[url]http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html[/URL]

http://www.cracked.com/article_1846...-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted_p2.html[url]http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted_p2.html[/URL]

"If you've ever been addicted to a game or known someone who was, this article is really freaking disturbing. It's written by a games researcher at Microsoft on how to make video games that hook players, whether they like it or not.

He has a doctorate in behavioral and brain sciences. Quote:

'Each contingency is an arrangement of time, activity, and reward, and there are an infinite number of ways these elements can be combined to produce the pattern of activity you want from your players.'

Notice his article does not contain the words 'fun' or 'enjoyment.' That's not his field. Instead it's 'the pattern of activity you want.'

His theories are based around the work of BF Skinner, who discovered you could control behavior by training subjects with simple stimulus and reward. He invented the 'Skinner Box,' a cage containing a small animal that, for instance, presses a lever to get food pellets."

Reactions: Flogger23m
Upvote 0