• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

sneak preview from Norway

Sitting here at the hospital typing like a maniac on my HTC. Google translator does not work on this ****.

Anyway here is an article from gamer.no on RO2. Enjoy it while I remove my beloved appendix in 2 hours.... :sad:

Article is in Norwegian so if someone could translate it for me :)
http://www.gamer.no/artikler/88659/sniktitt-red-orchestra-2-heroes-of-stalingrad/

the google translator in chrome worked fine - it was readable and made
sense. i couldn't swear it was correct as i dont know norwegian. :)

Upvote 0
Norwegian to English translation

Sneak Peek: Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

In war and love is one cool nok.PC

Christopher Thomas Lindtveit, Today, 8:24, 10 comments Share on Facebook

PRAGUE (Gamer.no): One thing that often annoys me madly in shooters is how the soldiers, without any form of protection beyond a simple uniform, like eating half a magazine before they turn and kill the enemy with a single head shot. Then all that is usually to relax a little behind a wall, while the wounds heal magically. Then you are again ready for battle. This mechanism characterizes even the most realistic shooter, and kills empathy for me.

Red Orchestra, which began as an Unreal Tournament mod, tried to remedy this and other realistic problems. It resulted in the release of Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45. The game is based on a consistent realism in everything from ballistics to historic weapons and vehicles, visibility mechanics, a limited interface and not least - how many bullets one can tolerate, based on where on the body they hit.

To not reinvent the wheel

Red Orchestra 2 will focus on the battle for Stalingrad and the operations associated with this, from July 1942 to February 1943. The sequel follows the formula of the original game, but includes new weapons and vehicles, better graphics, improved multiplayer and single player campaign. The latter was lacking in the previous edition.

You have far more than the sniper rifles to spend.

Tripwire describes itself as a weapon fanatics, and it seems the Red Orchestra 2 The game includes not only standard weapons familiar to most, but a number of lesser-known protyper are included. Some of them, is to mark only present as a fixed gun, but the game makes nevertheless an impressive and unique arsenal.

Another exciting element is the tank battles. If you control a tank, you could see the inside of the vehicle. It includes the fully animated staff. Here you will therefore see the driver shift gears, shooter manning the cannon, and so on.

The game uses an enhanced version of the Unreal Engine 3, and looks at present more than the allotted out. One of the things it is trying to communicate is how raw and dirty war, and this is reflected in the graphic. An interesting element is that the soldier you play will change appearance as you increase in experience - here be the consequences of war not just think of the environment, but also in the individual.

Realistic conflict

One thing that struck me when I got the audition, was how I immediately tried to move more realistically. In other shooters I usually end up with a "dirt let go" attitude, which I would run across open spaces, with the hope to find cover before I got too many balls in the body. The Red Orchestra 2, this leads often to a sudden and permanent visit to the morgue. A bullet in the stomach and chest region is NOK to end it all, so Rambo-stroke is usually not a good idea.

To move the real soldiers themselves.

In addition, it causes minimal interface to the feeling that you actually are at war, rather than to control a battle robot. There is no indication of how many bullets you have left in the magazine, not a term cross when you do not use weapons sights, no mini-map where the enemies appear, and so on. The difference between a good soldier and a bad soldier is, among other things, if he manages to keep track of such things. In this context, this will be the difference between a good and bad plays.

The game also features a cover system, which allows blind shooting. In addition, the original elements that the screening is affected by breathing, position and so on. The game seems to be focused on realism down to the smallest detail, and it all seems very promising.

... the little colored ribbons

A new and important element of the Red Orchestra 2 is an experience system where you as a player will ultimately be classified as a war hero. As I entered, this will be reflected in the appearance. You will of course also unlock new weapons (mainly secondary weapons), the ability to pick up new weapons, regardless of type and increased skills with specific weapons. This could be used to lock up supplies such as better aim, bayonets, magazines, and so on. I hope you do not get too big benefits from this - if the time investment to become competitive approaches the massive online game, I lose interest quickly.

Showers and laundry are for rookies.

In addition to the multiplayer will be a comprehensive single-player campaign, which will be completely uskriptet and non-linear. The game includes a full campaign for both Russian and German side. Each battle is set in a historical context, so we'll know a little about what the battle was about. In addition to the game also comes with a training mode, which can be used to become familiar with weapons, combat techniques, coverage system and so on.

It should be mentioned that it is already working on an extension, called Rising Storm. This is developed by Tripwire in cooperation with the modification community, and will focus on the Pacific War. This initiative is in the tradition of Tripwires origin as a mod group, and will include both a single-player campaign and multiplayer.

Conclusion

Red Orchestra was once a welcome break from the big, commercial shooters, and could provide a focus on realism, we rarely see in the big box office hits. The sequel follows in much the same recipe, and this is in many ways, first and foremost an upgrade of an already good game.

Stalingrad anno 1943.

It strikes me that some of the classic reality failures that we would normally consider necessary for the shooter, as the soldiers seem to be wrapped in cool absorbing material, or equipped with a miracle medicine, is not necessary. On the contrary - the lack of these elements makes the game both more challenging and more entertaining.

When realism is combined with well-functioning graphics, exciting new ideas in automotive control, a rare selection of weapons, an extensive single-player campaign, well-flowing gameplay, I can not but rejoice. Red Orchestra 2 may simply be one of the most important person shooter releases.

Red Orchestra 2 published on 30 August, exclusively for the PC.

We saw this game during a press event sponsored by the publisher 1C Company in the Czech Republic. Tour and accommodation were paid by them.

GLEDER MEG !!!:D

Upvote 0
Here's the review fully translated to Engrish, manually word for word, by me, no google translate crap :p

PRAHA (Gamer.no): One thing that annoys me beyond belief in shooters is how soldiers, without any kind of protection aside from a simple uniform, will gladly soak up half a magazine before turning on their heel and taking out the enemy with a single headshot. After that all that is usually needed is for him to chill out behind a wall, whilst his wounds heal as if by magic. Then he's ready for combat again. Such mechanics are commonplace even in the most realistic shooters, and it tarnishes the immersion for me.

Red Orchestra, which started as an Unreal Tournament-mod, tried to correct this and other realism problems. This finally resulted in the release of Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45. The game is based on an all pervasive realism covering all from ballistics to historical weapons and vehicals, sighting mechanics, limited HUD and not least - how many bullets you can survive, based on where on the body they hit.

Not reinventing the wheel.

Red Orchestra 2 will focus on the battle of Stalingrad and opperations tied to same, from July 1942 to February 1943. The sequal follws the recipe from the origional game, but includes new weapons and vehicals, better graphics, an improved multiplayer and a singleplayer campaign. The latter not beeing present in the previous title.

Tripwire describes themselves as gun-nuts, and that shows in Red Orchestra 2. The game includes not just standard weapons everyone knows about, but also a bunch of lesser known prototypes are included. Some of them, it should be noted, are only present as mounted weapons, but the game has an impressive and unique arsenal.

Another and exciting element are the Tanks. If you are manning a Tank you will be able to see the full interior. This includes the fully animated crew. Here you can see the driver driving, the gunner man his gun, and so forth.

The game uses an improved version of Unreal Engine 3, and as per today looks more than acceptable. One of the things the game tries to communicate is how raw and rotten war really is, and this is reflected by the graphics. An interesting element is that the soldier you play will change appearence as you gain experiance - here the consequences of war are not just show in the environments, but in the individual aswell.

Realistic combat.

A thing that hit me as i tried the game, was how i naturally tried to move in a more realistic way. In other shooters i usually end up with a "Yeah whatever"-attitude, where i'll gladly run across open ground, hoping i'll come across some cover before to many bullets hit me. In Red Orchestra 2 such behaviour is usually met with a sudden and permanent visit to the morgue. A single bullet to the torso is enough to end it all, and for that reason, Rambo-tactics are usually not a good idea.

In addition, the minimalist HUD gives you the sense that you are actually in the war, rather than you remote controlling a robot. Here there is no indication of how many rounds remain in the magazine, no crosshairs when you aim the weapon, no minimap that displays the enemy, and so on. The difference between a good soldier and a bad soldier, is amongst other things, if he can manage to keep a situational awareness. And in this case, it will also be what sepperates a good and a bad player.

The game also features a cover system, that allows for blind-fiering. In addition are all the origional features, such as sighting beeing effekted by stamina, stance and so on. the game looks to be focused on realism down to the smallest detail, and it all seems very promising.

...for a little coloured ribbon.

A new and important feature in Red Orchestra 2 is an achivement system, where players will in the end be able to earn the rank of war hero. As i mentioned, this is reflected in the players appearance. naturally you will also unlock new weapons (mostly secondary weapons), the abillity to pick weapons not belonging to your class, and boosted abillities with specific weapons. This can also be used to unlock weapon attachments like better sights, bayonets, magazines, and so on. I hope this won't give you to much of an advantage - if the time investment to become competitive approaches what we see in MMO's, i will quickly lose interest.

In addition to the multiplayer there will be a comprihensive singleplayer campaign, which will be fully unscripted and non-linear. The game includes a full campaign for both the Russian and German sides. Each battle is put into a historical context, so we are told a little about what the battle was about. In addition the game comes with a training mode, which can be used to familiarize you with the weapons, tactics, the cover-system and so on.

It should also be mentioned that an expansion is allready in the works, called Rising Storm. This is beeing developed by Tripwire in cooperation with the mod-scene, and will focus on the Pacific. This gamble is in tradition with Tripwires origins as a mod team, and will include both a multiplayer and singleplayer component.

Conclusion.

Red Orchestra was in it's time a welcome break from the big, commercial shooters, and offered a focus on realism we seldomly see in the big blockbusters. The sequal follows this recipe in a big way, and this is first and formost and upgrade of an allready good game.

It strikes me that a part of the unrealistic things we normally see as beeing nessesary for a shooter to work, such as soldiers who seem to be wrapped in a bullet absorbing material, or eqipped with miricle medicines, aren't actually needed. on the contrary - the lack of thease things makes the game both more exciting and more entertaining.

When this realism is combined with functional graphics, exciting new ideas about vehical control, a rare selection of weapons, a comprihensive singleplayer campaign and gameplay with good flow, i can't be anything but excited. Red Orchestra 2 could easilly become one of this years most important shooter titles.

Red Orchestra 2 will be released the 30. august, exclusively for the PC.
EDIT: Ohh poopy, i spend so long typing this out i got insta-posted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0