• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My thread which you should read and not flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we just need to wait and see what happens.

The main thing I think a lot of people are nervous about is that it will be "grindy." I would hate it if I would have to play the game for 80 hours just to be able to use the sniper rifles. I dont think thats going to be the case.

I hate leveling as much as many others do, but in the console age, its kind of becoming a requirement. Some devs make this not so bad, others thrive on it, I would hope TWI doesnt.

The other thing is that at least in custom servers, you can restrict or give all unlocks, so at the very least, I am sure there will be some servers that will be open or restrict the bad ones. Good thing about open dedicated servers is that you can set it to play how you want to.

Reactions: V.Medvedev
Upvote 0
but I'm ready to welcome change. I can't wait to be that lowly private, armed with a crap, discarded mosin when I see a grizzled Russian with a battered helmet run by me, waving me onward. Because I know I'm going to follow. The hero system is brilliant because it gives people who are new to the game a visual cue that says, "hey, follow me. I know what I'm doing." And that, I feel is something worth trying out because I know our comunity will do well in guiding new players into the new RO.

I agree wholeheartedly! It will also be nice to possibly be able to coax players into moving out from that safe place and flank a strong point, or overwhelm a defensive trench or take that one building that you know can turn the tide of battle.

Upvote 0
I'm only really worried about the community it's going to attract. Hate me for saying it but I generally dislike those that surround the current Call of Duty and Battlefield audience,.

im worried aswell .. i come from the cod community. and its bad .. really bad .. the forums have not been worth reading since cod4 and the xbox

best thing i can advise is have no cussing in the server. one warning then kick em.
it cuts the trash out pretty fast.

sidenote: i cuss enough in teamspeak :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Floyd
Upvote 0
im worried aswell .. i come from the cod community. and its bad .. really bad .. the forums have not been worth reading since cod4 and the xbox

best thing i can advise is have no cussing in the server. one warning then kick em.
it cuts the trash out pretty fast.

sidenote: i cuss enough in teamspeak :)
This will happen maybe the first weeks or 1-2 month. after the kids got there asses kicked because they are used to run and gun or spray and prey they will find the game boring and a "camper"game and will leave.

Upvote 0
I am not worried as many others are. The fact that we are a big bunch of people who are not fond of the idea of reduced recoil, increased stamina etc as you level up, makes me confident I will have no trobule what so ever to find such servers.

When it comes to unlocks I don't really mind it. In fact it does not matter so I will play on restricted and non-restricted servers.

I would assume that both the competitive and realism communites will prefer to play with those kind of things disabled. I can be wrong though, time will tell. Bottom line is that I am not worried for a second =).

Upvote 0
I am not worried as many others are. The fact that we are a big bunch of people who are not fond of the idea of reduced recoil, increased stamina etc as you level up, makes me confident I will have no trobule what so ever to find such servers.

When it comes to unlocks I don't really mind it. In fact it does not matter so I will play on restricted and non-restricted servers.

I would assume that both the competitive and realism communites will prefer to play with those kind of things disabled. I can be wrong though, time will tell. Bottom line is that I am not worried for a second =).

exactly , you cant expect new players coming in from CoD , BF , etc only too play under the rules that we've all grown up with , and that's exactly what all of us here have done , grown up with the game.
From the outset , we will not have too play on server's that cater to the somewhat Run 'n ' Gun mentality , but who are we too say that its not valid too do so , if it floats there boat .
+ we as a comunity have to have just a bit of patience with new comer's coming into the game when they stray in one of the more traditional set ups.....think about it , the usual common sence that normally surrounds a group on a RO , DH server the helping of getting someone to understand the patience that sometimes is needed to play and push forward/defend within any game....support them , not slade them just cos they havn't gone through a growing up process that we all took months/years too aquire , there not going too manage that in days and weeks.
As a whole we will only profit from the influx of fresh player's that will more than possibly be as enthused about the possibilities with ROHoS and the following Mods.

Patience , smile and good hunting too all

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just accept that people who dont know what type of wood Mosin was made off or the smell of the average German soldier's socks irl will still enjoy the game as much (or more) as people who do.
Seeing all that bs in the screenie thread about ski masks etc was really disgusting btw.

Not everything u have in COD is insta-bad, I like customization to a certain degree. Unlocks not such much but only because so far ive had a bad experience with them in BC2, here I fully trust TWI to keep them balanced.
But overall I think a really good game needs no unlocks and progression to keep people playing, Project Reality is a good example, people keep playing because every round plays differently w/o any stats/progression.

Bottom line: Its TWI were talking about ffs, just the amount of books Alan rad should make every1 shutup. Have some faith!

/rant of a newbie to RO who barely knows a few WW2 weps but is also a realism fan who never touched COD.

Upvote 0
This will happen maybe the first weeks or 1-2 month. after the kids got there asses kicked because they are used to run and gun or spray and prey they will find the game boring and a "camper"game and will leave.

My COD findings are different for some reason. I reloaded it (COD WAW) for kicks the other night after not playing for months and months only to find that most of the servers out there are called "Tactical" and they kick you for even walking. You have to crouch and fire aimed or they boot you out. Just about every server is a "camper" game.These are things that ,supposedly, are necessary in the new version of RO , and have to be enforced in COD. So at least it makes one hopeful that folks are looking for something better and may find it in this game.

Upvote 0
All of the things that people post and don't like are optional. 90% of the things people on this forum have issue with are optional.
The game mechanics of RO will never be CoD, or BF - so don't go thinking they will. And you cannot begrudge TWI for wanting to bring more players to RO and the way RO plays
Sitting back and making a game for a small audience is not a long term solution for a developer

These two posts actually state why it's not a big deal at all.
And the counter-arguments were not really well-founded (in my personal opinion, don't flame pls:p)
Just one comment on an argument given:
'What if no server will run the non-ranked?'
Set up your own!!! jeez think before you open your mouth... it will also not happen until hell freezes over so what's the big deal..:rolleyes:

Also repeating arguments over and over again ('CoD fanboys will ruin the game?!?!?!') doesn't make them valid. I almost think I hear Geert Wilders talking (seriously, his arguments are exactly the same. Non-dutch people look him up).
You guys are just too scared of any change. It is understandable and I am not saying it is wrong, but some people are just waging crusades against a potential influx of perfectly well mannered gamers as ourselves.

edit: maybe the last sentence is incorrect. I am really doubting the manners of some people here...

Last edited:
Reactions: Schreq and blkmgc
Upvote 0
When I first saw teh K/D ratio on a video, that almost made me not want to buy the game because I generally dislike those types of stats for a realism game. Games like BF and Cod it is alright and I encourage it there but for a realism game, it just doesnt make sense. Ill most likely play in servers with stats disable anyway since I dont want to be with people that will camp back because they dont want to ruin their ratio.

Upvote 0
These two posts actually state why it's not a big deal at all.

Consider the unintended consequences.

In all likliehood, this will be a niche game. Simply because of the context, the game is splintered from the standard gaming community.

Now, splinter the community again by alienating the people who kept the game going for years.

Splinter it again by allowing them to configure their own servers.

It may all be simpler than that. Let's hope so. Us edumacated folks know that there is danger is diversifying, especially when the base of the success is in rich simplicity.

Upvote 0
Look guys, I've been around this forums a long time. I love TWI and I love RO, as I do this community. I hate to be THAT guy who makes this post, but I've had concerns about a few things that I've been scared to post about, in fear of my reputation being tarnished. I don't want to hold back any more. So I'm just going to get it out here and say it!!! (I'm a homosexual... j/k lulz that's not it silly!)

The whole persistent stat tracking, ranking up system, unlocking weapons, unlocking different ammo types, unlocking different gun attachments, and the like kind of have me worried. I wouldn't say worried, since I don't think this franchise is going down the drain or anything, it's just that... like...well, errrr COME ON SON. I mean guys, let's think about this. Of course this is TWI's way of trying to get new players, and make it more accessible. A respectable goal of course. We all like to get paper, be it slinging crack to kids, selling bootleg dvd's or maybe you are the type of person who makes your game more accessible in the hopes of getting more people to play aka buying it aka MOAR MONEY. THE THING ABOUT ALL THIS IS... is that I think the core fan base, as in the people have stuck by for just about evar to support this game, aren't really into that type of madness. Not only that, but the people who will be playing this game in a 3 years form now won't be the ones who got it because AW MAN DUDE YOU I LIKE, GET A BAYONET ON MAH MKB42 BRO. Instead they will be the guys who bought the game, be it new comers or old timers, because it is a realistic and fun game, and provides a unique experience. After all, where else can you blow the head of of a Nazi, AND a Commie in the same round? Damn hippies they are. That said, some of the stuff being added is pretty peculiar. It's like a punk guy hanging out with my daughter. They don't belong together. What it all comes down to, is in a few years from now when most of the baggage of the community has moved on to other things, and it is just us bros being bros together in RO2, we will be the ones who were ticked off by this crap, and continue to be pissed off by it.

Now I know what a lot of you are thinking, this guy is obviously a jack *** and also doesn't know what he's talking about and is wrong. And I have this to say!!! I DO know what I'm talking about! Take that society.

COMMENCE THE HATE.

I repsect you very much for posting this. I feel the same way. I have noticed that many of the people that have 1,000 plus postings on the forums, you do not really see playing the game much if at all. I have seen many of the old time players from the mod days coming back in now. I have said hello to them and it is a kind of nostalgic feeling. I am a realism guy however I really do not think Tripwire has ignored us. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. After all if you can customize your server the way you want then I know they did this for the realism community. I realize that these guys have to create a balance for the game as well to maximize profits. After all if they fail at this (which I know they wont) then there will not be an RO3. They have created something that is very unique in PC gaming history. I am one of the old timers that still play RO and the mods and I have seen pc FPS gaming grow and develop through the years. There are many hard core players like myself that you will not hear much from on the forums but you will see me in game. I have seen many players come and go. You are always going to see gamers that will move on to something else as soon as it comes out. However through the years you see a steady base of dedicated players growing in numbers. I know that Tripwire reads the forums and obviously will be frustrated by some comments, however it is this passion that they have created themselves in a very good way. I know they know this. I personally would like to see more diverse weapons in game to create a different game play. I would like to see AT cannons in game as well as eventually different vehicles. Everyone here obviously has a passion for the game. I just wish everyone could see this passion as a force that binds all of us together instead of trying to divide the community up by which style game play they like. Neither is better than the other. Each will compliment itself with bringing in player bases. I believe that this is what Tripwire is trying to achieve. Lets turn our energy towards the release and spread the word on the game. I have mentioned this game to a few guys at work and I know now that 2 of them are going to buy the game. Do the same and we are sure that have a blast.

Porsche

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am a realism guy however I really do not think Tripwire has ignored us. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. After all if you can customize your server the way you want then I know they did this for the realism community. I realize that these guys have to create a balance for the game as well to maximize profits. After all if they fail at this (which I know they wont) then there will not be an RO3.

Porsche

Ahh at last i hear a balanced view from the realism camp , this is good new's

Upvote 0
Even if the leveling up and all that is optional and not all servers will have it, the truth is the majority WILL have it enabled.

And whose fault will that be, TWI of the community?
answer = community

...Start of great post...
I just wish everyone could see this passion as a force that binds all of us together instead of trying to divide the community up by which style game play they like
...End of great post...

Well said:)

Upvote 0
Let your daughter choose her boyfriend by herself. No matter if its a punk, rocker or hippie, it should be her choice. ;)

...and glad you made your coming-out here in the forum, skittlesareyum! :D

Oh yeah man. I'm really glad all my HoS forums brethren can know and accept me...:p (I wonder how many people will actually believe I am gay now. Just watch.) And about my daughter... you leaver her out of this!!!

EDIT: Btw, awesome Sig!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do....to a degree.

As someone whose been here since Beta 1.0 of the mod and as someone whose played the RO2 beta, I can say, gameplay-wise, it has met all of my expectations so far and plays like I think a true successor in the RO series should. Considering TWI has promised lots of customization, you should be able to turn off all of the stuff you don't like. Also consider, we're not talking about leveling up to get nuke bazookas, scoped mp40s, and flamethrower grenades. It's designed to be reasonable. I'm not a dev, but from what TWI has told us and from my own experience of how the core game handles, there is no reason to be worried.
I'll take your word for this, as a RO veteran, I'm kinda worried that the new players of RO2 will take advantage of it and lose the way RO2 was mean't to be played. I don't want RO2 getting the same fate that Team Fortress 2 did.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.