• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Firing through the driver viewing slot

LeopoldStotch

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2009
I believe it was already confirmed that you can damage the visor on tanks.

And since you can also wound and kill crew members, wouldn't it be nice to be able to kill the tank driver inside with one well placed shot through the viewing slot?

Panzerkampfwagen_IV_Ausf__G_1.jpg
As you can see, there's more than enough space to fire through there.

Yes, that one.
And did really all tanks have those?
I remember my grandfather telling me how they had those disk-like grenades that they would put through the vision slot on the T34.

That was on the T34, mind you.
Or maybe even KV's, I don't remember.

Really early tanks didn't have them as standard, but by '42 I think it'd be safe to assume they almost all would have been retro-fitted - it's such a crippling vulnerability otherwise.

They would have been vulnerable to heavier rounds (PTRD) or purpose designed explosives but for the best part if you're an infantryman and you see a tank run away...unless someone is un-buttoned in that case you go to town!

I've read that the earlier russian glass was of much poorer quality than the german ones, but it was armoured none-the-less. :IS2:

Upvote 0
Once again, SPR is not a good source. Well, hopefully the idea did not come from there. :)

Yes, that one.
And did really all tanks have those?
I remember my grandfather telling me how they had those disk-like grenades that they would put through the vision slot on the T34.

That was on the T34, mind you.
Or maybe even KV's, I don't remember.

Impossible, as the T34 don

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That must have been the case with very early models, as already the early BT-series and early T-series (like the T-26) had armored glass in vision slits from the beginning of the production.

I stand corrected then.

I was under the impression that the tiny vision slits that featured on the T-26 and BT-7 were certainly not armoured, but that's based on tanks sat in museums now (a Finnish T-26 from 1933 in particular) - so maybe they were just missing.

Upvote 0
I stand corrected then.

I was under the impression that the tiny vision slits that featured on the T-26 and BT-7 were certainly not armoured, but that's based on tanks sat in museums now (a Finnish T-26 from 1933 in particular) - so maybe they were just missing.

Do you mean this one? Allthough this is not a T-26, but Vickers. But that doesn

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Think how awesome it would be to essentially form a tank trolling team where one of your friends fires a PTRD into the slot to shatter the glass at a distance, and then you follow up by spraying SMG fire into the tank, or tossing a grenade through the slot (if it's wide enough).

If realistic, this would be hilariously awesome.
:cool::IS2:

Upvote 0