• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

GDC video's (Tanks, destruction, and Beta info).

Yeah I can't help but be annoyed with the constant...

..."Show us stuff show us stuff show us stuff show us stuff!!!!"...

...followed by nitpicking about what you see. The reason there isn't a contsant stream of info/movies/screenies is because it's not ready! It's an unfinished product.

I agree with you, but at the same time, there's always room for constructive criticism.

Upvote 0
This game is a simulation.

I think there are going to be three types of people looking at this game:

You will have the alternative battlefield crowd; who want something more.

You have the Arma guys who know what they see here.

And the fans of RO who fit in-between.

I see Tripwire trying to meld the former two together. Tripwire are trying to sell RO to the alternative BF crowd but they are trying to lure them in subtlety. You can tell there is some serious OFP/Arma guys on this dev team.

I am looking at this game from two perspectives:

Switch to my superficial mode and I start to worry; I can see visual fiends being let down. From a purely visual point of view RO 2 does not look impressive. Animations, lighting, textures in the face of all the flagship games out there (most of them utter **** imo, just to let you know.) this does not look anything that will take attention away from the best the well-known has to offer.

The above view worries me because I feel an alternative Battlefield fan might be disappointed and be deterred.

Switch to thinking mode and what these guys are offering is well above and beyond what RO currently offers. You can see what these guys are elaborating on is in the details. These guys are going balls out on this one. There is some element of OFP/Arma in there with the animations, the mouse wheel menu for pick-ups and the rice paper style buildings. It just stinks of simulation and it goes far deeper than RO. Pure substance over style.

I think from eyes of the deeper gamer; who who can see beyond what is in front of them; there is some serious quality gaming here.

I hope I don't give the impression of an elitist, but rather someone who is passionate about what they are into.

I am just concerned with the mainstream guys who want the next best thing - especially in these frugal times. I really hope TW make it. Passion over profit wins for me every time - my philosophy on life.

Upvote 0
Flogger23m said:
The "magazine feels close to empty" being in the middle of the screen. Move it back to the corner and make it small.
Get rid of it. Count your shots / learn how quick a weapon uses ammo.

Flogger23m said:
Suppression bar. Even for relaxed realism mode, I don't see why there should be a bar
Get rid of it. If you are that slow in brain power that you nead a suppression bar to tell you when you are being suppressed.....

I'll gladly take a weapon pickup menu over the current ROOST pickup system, where I can't get what I want if the stuff is too close together.
The obvious solution would have been to spread the items out, not to introduce some fancy garbage Terminator GUI menu.

Also, realism mode won't have all the icons visible.
And will 99% of players be playing realism mode? No. Especially as the game grows older.

You can turn off all the HUD stuff, no big deal.
The question is will the enemy team do so as well?

Can the HUD be disabled at the server level? This way if an admin wants to make sure no one is using the radar he can just turn off the HUD for everyone globally?
This is a good question. Also, how many of you forum goers will I find on a disabled hud / no icon / realism server six (6) years from now? You all will probably be on the Heroic LOL's Relaxed Realism 24/7 Red Square Map Only Server.

2_k said:
the suppression effect in curent DH looks and sounds better
So better that in fact no suppression bar is needed.

The HUD - It seems overly cluttered, just commening on that
Too many things on screen, can I say you to eliminate the suppression sensor? It doesn't make sense.
Ideally the relaxed realism mode for RO2 should have consisted of manual weapon pickup with no menu, teammates names at 15 meters & less, and about five HUDs / icons / things on screen:

1.) Death Messages
2.) Health indicator
3.) Ammo indicator
4.) Cap zone bar
5.) Combination compass & map

Realism mode should have removed #1, #3, #4, and #5 and teammates names only at 5 meters & less when looking at them.

Just one thing, what's wrong with the trees?, the are shaking a lot.:D
Overdone show off feature. Think DOD:s bloom.

Upvote 0

Get rid of it. If you are that slow in brain power that you nead a suppression bar to tell you when you are being suppressed.....

The obvious solution would have been to spread the items out, not to introduce some fancy garbage Terminator GUI menu.

And will 99% of players be playing realism mode? No. Especially as the game grows older.

This is a good question. Also, how many of you forum goers will I find on a disabled hud / no icon / realism server six (6) years from now? You all will probably be on the Heroic LOL's Relaxed Realism 24/7 Red Square Map Only Server.

Ideally the relaxed realism mode for RO2 should have consisted of manual weapon pickup with no menu, teammates names at 15 meters & less, and about five HUDs / icons / things on screen:

1.) Death Messages
2.) Health indicator
3.) Ammo indicator
4.) Cap zone bar

Realism mode should have removed #1, #3, #4, and #5 and teammates names only at 5 meters & less when looking at them.

Perfectly said

Also about the Teamates showing, it should not show there name above there head, but rather a transparent message at the top (or bottom) of the screen when you are looking direectly at them as previous said

Reactions: nike_angus
Upvote 0
Counting, as he stated.

Mag weighing is not about counting shots, it's about determining how many shots are in a used mag

and it doesn't make any sense to remove it because it's a plainly evident fact whenever you're handling a mag IRL you're going to know how heavy it is relative to a full mag

The only way you can display that is via a HUD element.

Can we chill out a lil bit on the nitpicking plox.

Reactions: Snuffeldjuret
Upvote 0

1.) Death Messages
2.) Health indicator
3.) Ammo indicator
4.) Cap zone bar

I am so happy that you are not designing RO2. Please stick to Arma or DH (I guess the original RO isn't your cup of tea either, it was made by the same guys as Heroes after all) and let the rest of the world have some fun.

Seriously, what is the problem?

If you can't find a single server out there running the one and only TrueRO™ mode for you, get your own, set it up the way you like and have fun.

If you cannot set it up the way you like, learn to mod or try a different game.

P.S. You do realize the game is still in alpha and every time we get updates stuff has changed dramatically, right?.

Upvote 0
So tell me, how would you implement weighting of magazines in the game without using any text or other visual aids?

Easy, make the character say out loud, how heavy it is in english (but with russian accent, so its realistic)
faceg.gif

I couldn't care less about what the enemy do. I play with most stuff disabled in RO right now, (and those that are active are resized to be quite small) and I do not feel like I'm in any disadvantage.

Upvote 0
I know. He said remove mag weight, in place of it, just count your shots.

To be honest, I never look at mag weight ever. I usually know about how many I have left by how I was shooting beforehand. Mag weight thing always felt a bit pointless.

Not if it tells you the weight of the mag you just put into your gun. New magazines aren't necessary full.;)

Reactions: [TW]schneidzekk
Upvote 0
Tank! said:
You all will probably be on the Heroic LOL's Relaxed Realism 24/7 Red Square Map Only Server.

Well, unfortunately, the only reason you see some of us on the Danzig server is because as NA's we don't have large crowds to play with... so one tends to go where the population is while maintaining an acceptable ping. Sometimes it's 'Old Glory', sometimes it's OF, sometimes it's Danzig 24/7. If I had it my way, in 6 years we'd all be on Rez's Realism Server where there arent enemy cap-bar indicators, no HUD's, local only VOIP, no blinkies on the map, no peripheral 'you're being shot at from this direction' indicators, no level-up system (all players equal), 32 max players.. etc.

But thank you for quoting my post, and since it was posted 3 pages ago and there was no real answer either way.. I'd like to pose the question to the Dev's again -

Can the HUD be disabled at the server level? This way if an admin wants to make sure no one is using the radar he can just turn off the HUD for everyone globally?

How many controls and/or options will the server admin have at his disposal in order to create the experience he wants on his server? Will you (TWI) be releasing specifics on the customization features for server admins?

It would be nice to get an idea of how many and what kind of mutators will need to be made in the absence of built-in admin controls.

Upvote 0
Looks amazing! Definitely still some work to do, but looking really good none the less! Here are some pros, cons, and thoughts.

Pros
+Prone sprint (SO useful)
+MG movement
+crouching while reloading
+zoom
+interior tank animations
+destruction of parts of houses/ in general
+bodies stacking
+hud on demand, the clear screen looks so nice
+periphiary indicators

Cons
-wonky ai: easy/ very easy i know, but still something to look at
-reload seems a tad fast
-Animation transitions are a little clunky (running->walking, dying->ragdoll, etc.)
-Destruction animations need some work, and some more dust
-music transition is nonexistent from what I could see, just switches songs and it kind of draws attention to itself
-menus could use some work, but this is by far the least important thing to work on

Thoughts

Suppression
I'm still undecided here. It looks almost irritating in the videos, but it will probably work. I havn't watched enough PR videos to see if it seems irritating in them as well, cause it works very well in game.

Leveling
I like the micro upgrades that appear to be in place, however the basic player stats like speed and handling bug me. I think that much of that type of leveling is hardcoded into gaming, as a player who is more experienced/ has played more, can generally aim better/quicker etc.

I wouldnt be opposed to it if it showed up in this manner though.
First off, it cannot be a major bonus, even for heroes. It must be minor in its effect. Since soldiers do get better as they live longer, it could work. But, as mentioned by someone earlier, not everyone is gifted in the same way. The stats appear to be able to be upgraded by percentage, so there should be a max percentage allowable per skill and a max number of skills that there can be upgraded at once, and not enough points to max out on many skills.

Example. Player Bob fully levels up. He's as high as possible without being a hero. Because he is fully leveled up, he has 25% points to spend on any of the 6 skills, and each skill can only be increased by a maximum of 10%. So for his rifleman kit, because he advances slowly and is more of a support fire player than a rush and hold player, he chooses to up suppression resistance by 10%, Weapon focus by 9% and ammo distribution by 6%.

These % points should also be resettable so that players can experiment.

Squad leader/member spawning
I am most worried about this for nade spam. This could easily be solved by adjusting grenades so that in territory, when you spawn on a Squad leader/member, the player has reduced, or zero grenades, getting full loadout only when spawning at the stationary spawnpoint. The increased engagement distance should also reduce the grenades effectiveness

I know theres stuff that I'm missing but thats good enough for now. Fantastic work so far. Keep it up tripwire :IS2:

Upvote 0
I really dislike the comments I see everywhere about the game. And I mean comments from the "fans".

"This is Hardcore" "If you like COD, this game is not for you" and an infinity of comments in the same line.

Guys, you are NOT helping the cause. Shouldn't be them, the ones to decide if the game is for them or not? Don't alienate them before they even have the chance to try for themselves.

If you want to get rid of COD players, converting them is much more productive and efficient than pushing them away. The more people to buy RO2, the better RO3 will be.

Some people ARE indeed idiots beyond salvation, but you can't give up on all of them just because of a few.

Upvote 0