• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Elder Scrolls V

Sorry but I thought the trailer was rather bad or at least nothing special at all. Having recently played Fallout 3 I recognized half of the animations in that trailer and it all just looked like Oblivion 1.5 on FO3 engine to me. Not impressed so far. Sure the game will be awesome, but judging by that trailer which of course is a stupid thing to do, it's not as awesome as it should be.

Upvote 0
The finishing moves, the enemies reacting to your attacks, sneak kills, nice looking powerful spells, good third person animations, hand crafted non randomly generated scenery, and fairly big monsters.

And hopefully, while looking better, this game will also be less hardware demanding than Oblivion, which was a nightmare because of the foliage.

This is looking more and more like what I said about Dark Messiah + Oblivion.

The first person view of the weapons, which are placed kinda weird, is the only downside I've seen so far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dunno whether that is positive or not. On one hand it shows where their priorities lie, on the other hand that probably means PC will (as most times with multiplatform titles) have improved graphics over the other versions. Still, I don't really get it. If the PC version is better technically than the 360 version, then why don't they show PC footage? I guess the pc version is still in a much earlier phase than the 360 lead version.

Reactions: Shepherd
Upvote 0
Dunno whether that is positive or not. On one hand it shows where their priorities lie, on the other hand that probably means PC will (as most times with multiplatform titles) have improved graphics over the other versions. Still, I don't really get it. If the PC version is better technically than the 360 version, then why don't they show PC footage? I guess the pc version is still in a much earlier phase than the 360 lead version.

If it looks that good on the 360, it means that the relation between graphics and hardware requirement will be much better than Oblivion's.

Upvote 0
If it looks that good on the 360, it means that the relation between graphics and hardware requirement will be much better than Oblivion's.
And Oblivion ran like utter crap on the 360. It had HUGE performance problems, and unlike the PC, there's nothing 360 owners could do about it.

And I'm not really worried about the PC focus. One of the Bethesda execs has a dev update on the ES5 website that talks about how can't wait to see what the modders come up with for Skyrim. In other words, he doesn't make an "OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT" about mod tools -- he just assumes that everyone knows they will exist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not really worried either, but we shouldn't just say "oh mods will fix it". But, if the graphics are throttled back for consoles that means I won't have to go out and drop money on more PC hardware to run this well. So it's generally good news if you aren't a graphics nut.

Only thing I'm really worried about is the interface. Hopefully it translates well.

Upvote 0
I'm not really worried either, but we shouldn't just say "oh mods will fix it". But, if the graphics are throttled back for consoles that means I won't have to go out and drop money on more PC hardware to run this well. So it's generally good news if you aren't a graphics nut.

Upvote 0
The Gamebryo engine looks pretty good with the maximum settings and full anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering. And it runs fine too. Considering that Oblivion was the first game to use it, of course it had problems. But we've seen it grow with Fallout 3 and New Vegas. If Skyrim can provide better faces and animations, which it seems that they have improved, then I don't think you'll notice the shortcomings as much. And of course we shouldn't rely on mods to fix everything, but we should also be thankful that Skyrim should be just as moddable as Oblivion and Fallout.

Upvote 0
The Gamebryo engine looks pretty good with the maximum settings and full anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering. And it runs fine too. Considering that Oblivion was the first game to use it, of course it had problems. But we've seen it grow with Fallout 3 and New Vegas. If Skyrim can provide better faces and animations, which it seems that they have improved, then I don't think you'll notice the shortcomings as much. And of course we shouldn't rely on mods to fix everything, but we should also be thankful that Skyrim should be just as moddable as Oblivion and Fallout.

>_>

Dark Age of Camelot was the first game to use Gamebryo, after that came Morrowind and after those Sid Meier's Pirates! and Civilization 4. Oblivion was the 5th game to use it.

Upvote 0
Not necessarily.

Often engines can natively do FPS or other perspectives. Like the UT engine. Bunch of top down, FPS and isometric games are all made with that engine.

It's all 3d models in space and where you put the camera. What cements an engine into its role is how much time was spent refining features for whatever perspective you're working at.

Upvote 0