• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Patriarch Spawn Camera Control = frustrating death

Breach

Dec 16, 2010
Please, tell me up front if there is a way to control the spawn camera for the patriarch. Disable it, move it, something.

Finally starting to get decent, and I am soloing long hard missions. Well this one in particular, I made it to the patriarch on mountain pass... This is still a rare occurrence for me, so it just makes this all the more frustrating.

I shop, I drop some pipes. I stand behind a car for cover to wait for the patriarch to spawn, low and behold....

He spawns 20 feet in front of me. At least with the care in between us.

1. Spawn camera lock...
2. "One in the pipe"
3. Still locked... I duck behind the car and hope for the best...
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?
7. Pro.... nope never mind. Game over.

I believe we have commented on the "spawning issues" a number of times, but I'm sure no one likes our response. We'd love to fix it, given the time, but we've continued to focus on more important things. While I'm sure a number of people consider the "spawning issue" to be of the highest importance, the simple fact is that you are not in the majority on this one, not by a long shot.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=674433#post674433

And here is a report on a similar bug.

The actual patriarch spawning itself has been reported already, I think. Not going to get fixed any time soon it seems. :(

Upvote 0
Lol.. you cant control his spawn. Its the way the unreal engine is made, has nothing to do with TWi unless they want to go back and change their soruce codes on Pat. If you have messed around with the KF-SDK you would understand that there is a rotation on spawn points, and normally the spawn points dont spawn if a player is near them (unless they are wall spawns). That is not the case with pat. He can spawn from any spawn point on the map. So he can spawn next to you which has happened to me a few times. Best thing to do is learn to control your character in the screen during the camera change

Upvote 0
Thanks for the informative feedback.

I realize that it was an event that I would just have to get used too. It has actually happened as kon_air said, where 5 of us are by the trader, and we just die. It is hilarious in pub games for the most part.

Less so when soloing for an achievement when on very limited time for gameplay.

But regardless, it wasn't meant for whining, it was just me posting my great luck for someone to relate to/ get a chuckle out of.

Wouldn't an equally viable solution be able to set the spawn for patriarch to disable in a cycled spot if within a 360 degree Line of Sight of a player?

I know it wouldn't be a fix all, as he could spawn around a corner and proceed to fire, but it would solve a majority of the environments.

Upvote 0
Or a car that I happened to have been hiding behind. >.<

Another one I thought would be to disable patriarch actions while the camera is locked. He would get the spawn animation and stand there. Or if the info was relayed... lock camera until spawn animation ends, unlock camera.

In short simply reducing the amount of duration on the patriarch spawn camera, or giving a option in settings to disable the camera switch could be equally sufficient.

Upvote 0
I think an easy fix would be to make it so he can't spawn at any of the spawn points in a medium/large radius around the player. Or they could force him to spawn at spawn points for other specimen, like the ones down blocked off halls or whatever.

I think they tried this, or some method of fixing it, but it broke custom maps. The fact that they rolled back an update tells me that there probably isn't a way to apply it to JUST the core maps with ease.

Upvote 0
It can however capture some amazing lucky moments.

Last night on a server playing bioticslab, we all pooled our money and gave it to the demo so he could lay around 20 pipebombs along a few key corridors.

Patriarch spawned directly on top of a pipebomb and we were treated to a cinematic shot of him blowing up bomb after bomb until he blew apart before we even got a chance to really shoot him.

Upvote 0
It can however capture some amazing lucky moments.

Last night on a server playing bioticslab, we all pooled our money and gave it to the demo so he could lay around 20 pipebombs along a few key corridors.

Patriarch spawned directly on top of a pipebomb and we were treated to a cinematic shot of him blowing up bomb after bomb until he blew apart before we even got a chance to really shoot him.

I have seen this a few times before though. When it does the deaths are priceless :cool:

Upvote 0