• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realistic Snow

guys, use some common sense. they aren't going to model snow. they're going to simulate it by making sprites that fall from the sky and snowy ground textures with bump mapping, they aren't going to create two layers of terrain for you with ballistic properties of their own.

There are loads of methods how you can get closer to realistic snow without fully modelling volumetric particles.

Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
In A2, players at long distances are rendered sunk partially into the surface to simulate being hidden by grass and surface features. It looks a little odd at first, like a bug, but really is more realistic than a body laying fully exposed on a hard looking surface 250m away. At close ranges, it doesn't happen, the figure is just laying amongst the grass.

I haven't a clue how this is accomplished, but maybe something like that? A player sinks into the surface if it's deemed soft enough?

Upvote 0
yeah, on arma2's first release you could spot an enemy lying in the grass ages away, a black silhouette on flat green. With the more recent patches its awesome to see less of a silhouette but still the lack of ground detail means characters are easily spotted. This is one reason i prefer RO, you often can't see an enemy hiding in the rubble.

Upvote 0
In A2, players at long distances are rendered sunk partially into the surface to simulate being hidden by grass and surface features. It looks a little odd at first, like a bug, but really is more realistic than a body laying fully exposed on a hard looking surface 250m away. At close ranges, it doesn't happen, the figure is just laying amongst the grass.

I haven't a clue how this is accomplished, but maybe something like that? A player sinks into the surface if it's deemed soft enough?

The issue there is that at long distances foliage can dissapear depending on in game settings which is why players are sunk into the ground. It could work for snow though but it isn't really needed in RO as RO is generally shorter range and utilizes different optimizations.

I do hope that TWI uses bump normal hight maps whatever they are called to model for instance footsteps and tracks of tanks having depth in the snow. And to make the snow appear more fluffy than a solid layer of white concrete.

The key for me about snow is that it looks realistic, as with a game about Stalingrad probably half the levels will be snowy. That you correctly fall in the snow as a character would be nice as well but might not be feasible to add at this point in time.

Upvote 0