• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Should I shoot it? The absolute idiot's reference.

Baron

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Why is this not in Tactics? Because it isn't really a guide. It's more me putting my playstyle up for review. But for those of you who like information in small bites, this might be a good supplement to the comprehensive yet massive guides posted by Slavek and Nutterbutter, which any newbies should check out first.

Generally:

1. Don't Rambo. This is when a player goes off on their own to get more kills, far away from the main group, squirting machismo everywhere...and then they quite frequently die. Your teammates don't appreciate having to give you an extra 1000 quid. And if they don't, you might die again.

2. Don't forget you have grenades. Don't forget they are hard to use. Sometimes, a well-placed grenade is just better. But it has to be well-placed, because there WILL be a smoke cloud, and it WILL hurt you if you are too close.

3. Weld with a plan. A well-placed weld does wonders. A badly-placed one kills a teammate.

4. Don't fall into tunnel-vision. Be aware of your surroundings.

5. Plan ahead. Taking forever in the shop is bad enough, but if you buy the wrong thing you're wasting dosh, and that's even worse. The two worst offenders are the 'Auto-Fill Ammo' button and armour. Ammo for some weapons costs a lot. Armour may "only" cost 300 quid, but then you have to maintain it through later waves.

6. Buy armour. No, I didn't just tell you not to. I told you to be careful when you did. It's frequently cheaper (and therefore quicker) in the end to save for a tier 3 weapon and THEN get armour. Then again, sometimes you just can't do without the extra protection. And sometimes you're a medic.

7. Except for Clots, Crawlers and Stalkers, all ZEDs have scaling health. The more people there are in the server, the more health they have. This could be the difference killing a ZED in one shot and having it kill you. Take notice of the number of players in the server, and act accordingly.

8. The following are OFF LIMITS unless they are an immediate threat. Headless things belong to the decapitator. Stunned Scrakes belong to the stunner. Anything within 5 feet (farther, if he's running toward it) of a Zerk belongs to him, unless he asks for or clearly needs help. Any stalker within 20 feet of a Commando belongs to him. Which brings us to...

9. Prioritize your targets. Some things, you just don't have to shoot. But it's more complex than DO/DON'T. Which now brings us to...

Specifically:
In approximate order of priority to the group in general,

Clots
SHOOT - Absence of other threats
PRIORITY - Distance, Grouping
LEAVE - Expensive ammo

Anyone can kill a clot, which means that they are lowest priority. You can afford to let them get close. If they are grouped, which is nearly always, Demo will own. Don't let them grab you.

Crawlers
SHOOT - Absence of other threats
PRIORITY - Range, Presence of Berserkers
LEAVE - Berserker

Berserkers hate these. Let your teammates take them. Teammates, take them before they get to the Zerk. Remember they can spawn in weird high places. Get these before they get into leaping range.

Gorefasts
SHOOT - Before the first two
PRIORITY - Range
LEAVE - Presence of a greater threat

If you let these get close, they do a surprising amount of damage. Luckily, anyone can kill them. Get these before they get into charging range. Try to get a feel for how long it takes them to bleed out. The headless ones do just as much damage if they get to you.

Bloats
SHOOT - Before the first two
PRIORITY - Range, Grouping
LEAVE - Demo

Take its head off before it vomits on you, or else you'll be blind and half-dead. Body-shot deaths make it blow up - good to do if it's in a group. Anything around it gets damaged.

Stalkers
SHOOT - Commando, As soon as you see it
PRIORITY - Distance, Presence of a Commando
LEAVE - Commando nearby

These are actually not as difficult to see as you'd think. They may be translucent, but they still have a shadow. They spawn in weird high places, too. Don't let them get near you - their attacks are distracting. The exception to this rule is if you know there's a Commando near you. Give him a heads-up and let him take them out.

Husks
SHOOT - As soon as they can see you
PRIORITY - Line-of-sight
LEAVE - If you can dodge the flames

These are annoying. They can blind you from across the map. Being on fire is not fun. If they're around a corner, though, there's no threat.

Scrakes
SHOOT - Berserker, Sharpshooter, Support
PRIORITY - Presence of a Zerk, Distance, Rage
LEAVE - Small guns, Demo

These will kill you fairly immediately. It's a myth that they have explosive resistance, but to every myth there is a grain of truth. Don't try to blow them up. Take them out with many headshots, a hunting shotgun, or call for a Berserker, who can stun-lock them. For Christ's sake, let the Zerk take them. Commandos are also useful since they can tell when it will rage.

Fleshpounder
Serve with cheese. Eat immediately.

SHOOT - Demo, grenades, Sharpshooter, ~Support
PRIORITY - Rage
LEAVE - How fast can you run?

These are the Big Daddy of the Horzine laboratory. Once they rage, God help you all. They act a bit differently than other specimens. They fixate on the first person to enter their line of sight. After that, there can be only one. Put yourself between the Fleshie and their target and you won't even get hurt...much. Targets, either run and hide to make them target someone else, or (preferably) bring out the explosives. EDIT: They can now change targets based on who shoots them or who is around when they rage. Body-blocking is still valid if you're more durable than the person behind you.

Siren
SHOOT - Immediately
PRIORITY - Range, Line-of-sight
LEAVE - Never

The smallest specimen, the highest priority. Everyone in range of her scream can't see, AND she kills any explosives in the area, AND her attack ignores armour, AND she always comes with backup. The good news? She has to see you to do any of that. Hide around a corner or take her out at distance. The better news? She's made of paper. The bad news? Sometimes there's two of her.

INB4:

You forgot...
Then I'll add it.

UR DOIN IT RONG!
Then tell me why and I'll change it.

Actually, if you do that on Suicidal+, you WILL die.
I'll take your word for it. What should I do differently?

U SUCK! Ur a n00b.

Pfffhehehehehe. Umad, bro? But in all seriousness, I am a relative n00b and I lack experience on Suicidal and HoE. Y'all still need to ditch the mindset that "those are the only two that count."

Last edited:
FP info is outdated. It switches targets now based on who shoots it and who is in its line of sight when enraged. You probably also want to mention that you should NOT shoot it at all if a berserker is trying to kite it and instead, kill the trash zeds surrounding the FP. Also, its not all over if the FP rages. If you weld a door behind you when its raged and in pursuit, even just to 1%, the FP attacks the door and then calms down. You can prevent it from raging altogether by getting out of its line of sight or letting it take a swing at you (dodging the attack) every few seconds.

I would also add sharpshooter to the list of priority classes for FPs considering 2 xbow headshots will take away a huge portion of its health and 3 will decap it on HOE. After a xbow headshot or two, Supports can wait till the FP gets close and kill it without taking any damage using the hunting shotgun.

Reactions: drfeelgoodmd
Upvote 0
ok, as for the guide, any perk can solo in this game if you get good with your perk. I have seen everything from berserkers to firebugs do things I didnt think the perk could do. It all depends on how good you are. There are some great players with differant play styles who are just plan great at that perk. Ill be the first to admit I cant play that perk as good as some of the players out there.

There really is no guide that can help ppl on what to do, just to go in there and do it, learn to play what perk you like and get good at it and never change. I hated SS when I started playin it and lvling it. Now I like it and sometimes feel I have to play it but I still like it. Just one of those things.

Choose a perk you like stick with it, learn to use it (the right way, as a team) then you will do well.

Upvote 0
I rambo all the time...

Ramboing is acceptable so long as you don't draw everything away from the group and so long as you don't require people to spread their money back over to you if and when you die. Since this is an Absolute Idiot's Reference, I just gave it a blanket no.

...and here I was expecting a flow chart.

Son, I am disappoint. :mad:

Actually, that is a good idea. It'd have to be huge, though. I'm not THAT dedicated.

Upvote 0
Can someone tell all those supports out there to leave my scrake alone if I stunned it? And no, don't throw your grenades at them either. Just a humble request.

For that matter, don't run up right in front of them when AA12'ing them either, run to the SIDE and shoot so the line is clear for me to shoot some grenades up in that hizzay.

Upvote 0
How... can xbow 3 shot decap a fp on HoE? (I mean 6-man game)
And two xbow hs from 6lv sharpshooter do around 1/3 to total health of fps on 6-man HoE, for reference.... which can also achieved by an alt-fire of hunting shotgun to the body from a 6lv support at suitable range (NO SHOTGUN do full damage when the target is too close).

Upvote 0