• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Cockney Nutjob

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Most people seem to agree that the firebug is relatively well balanced now since the MAC-10 has been introduced, and I would agree with that. But it's still a pretty limited class in terms of tactics, which might be partially due to the fact that theres only really one loadout. The MAC-10 is great because it allows the 'bug to be useful at longer ranges, but it often seems fairly redundant on more enclosed maps, so it would be nice to have another option.

So how about firebombs? They would function similarly to pipebombs, but rather than being proximity detonated they have to be manually detonated by the 'bug, and instead of causing a sudden burst of damage they simply burn for a set duration, igniting any Zeds that walk through the flames. You can only lay one down at a time, then the weapon slot is replaced with a remote detonator. Un-perked it would burn for a very short amount of time, but the burn duration would increase with perk levels. They could be used much like pipes by putting them behind welded doors etc, and on higher difficulties they might help to alleviate the 'bug's low ammo pool without giving him the ability to spam the flamethrower and do lots of 'direct damage'.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? It might be a daft idea, I admit I haven't given much thought to the specifics as yet, how would you balance it?

Incendiary_shotgun_at_night.jpg

I remember this from a while ago, 2 years ago perhaps. I thought it was a cool idea.

Upvote 0
Although I feel the suggestion is reasonable I do have to ask

Limited class in terms of tactics? Firebug is probably the most tactical perk in the game. Swapping between your 2 weapons when facing solo foes or hordes, making good use of the Crisp effect to help your team, knowing when to burst and when to hose, using your incendiary nades through port holes and windows to save doors. It all takes alot fo thought.

And of course he becomes very handy in dark areas where foes are difficult to see.

I don't feel this kind of abillity is needed myself, since the FIrebug can ignite mobs very easily with just the Flamethrower. THIs kind of weapon doens't really add anything to his arsenal that he desperately needs.

Interesting idea though dude, I just don't think it would fill a niche in the game :)

Upvote 0
Interesting idea though dude, I just don't think it would fill a niche in the game :)

Being able to use most weapons with incendiary/other ammunition would mean that Firebug is all of a sudden incredibly versatile.

Shotgun(s)? Dragon's Breath shells. M79/M32? Flame Grenades, a la firenades gained at L3. Commando guns? Incendiary rounds a la M10.

We could have a possibly really viable survival perk here; with the right adjustments.

Upvote 0
Limited class in terms of tactics? Firebug is probably the most tactical perk in the game. Swapping between your 2 weapons when facing solo foes or hordes, making good use of the Crisp effect to help your team, knowing when to burst and when to hose, using your incendiary nades through port holes and windows to save doors. It all takes alot fo thought.

I see what you mean, I guess I don't mean that the class has limited tactical options as such, rather that all the tactics revolve around one loadout. I like having different equipment options that impact the way I play the game, some classes have that (eg medic, support, commando, sharp), but the 'bug only has one viable loadout so there's no descision to make. I'd just like there to be some alternative to the MAC-10 that could be useful in situations where the MAC-10 isn't, to add some more possibilities.

For an alternative, C_Gibby mentioned incendiary 'nade launchers, How about something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Lake_Grenade_Launcher

Basically a 4 shot pump-action M79, for the Firebug it could shoot incendiary grenades that set fire to any specimens within the blast radius (similar to M79 radius), but also provide a small explosion damage radius. For the demo perk it would act like a side-grade to the M79; larger ammo capacity but smaller blast radius (and long reload times like the M32).

Again, not all that well thought out as an idea, but I think it could work :)

Upvote 0
Being able to use most weapons with incendiary/other ammunition would mean that Firebug is all of a sudden incredibly versatile.

Shotgun(s)? Dragon's Breath shells. M79/M32? Flame Grenades, a la firenades gained at L3. Commando guns? Incendiary rounds a la M10.

We could have a possibly really viable survival perk here; with the right adjustments.

Isn't that a little unfair to every other class in the game? Being able to use pretty much any perks weapon and get a damage boost for it (in the form of ignting foes) is something no other perk could do.

I mean the Firebugs role is meant to be making use of DoT to weaken and slow down speicmens on masse for his team. He thins out the crowd making it alot easier for his teamates to hold foes back. Give him a bonus on other wepaons and you remove him out of that role and mka ehim alot less dependant on his team.

Another straight issue is the Shotgun, M70, M32, Ak, Scar they are all more powerful than the MAC-10, and that had to be nerfed because the fire damage coupled with its headshot capabilities craeted alot of balance issues.

You give these guns a burn off too and you've not only made a bunch of overpowered weapons, but you also make the MAC-10 pretty much obsolete. Even giving it to just the Handcannon creates a gun that outshines the Mac.

I will concede though that he basically has only 1 Firebug loadout, which is little naff, but remember, yesteryear we only had the Flamethrower and I know I was quite happy with just that. More weapons would be nice, but they need to diversify from the weapons the Firebug already has, while still sticking to this DoT philosophy.

Only issue I find with Firebombs is they wont be that far removed from grenades and if they only ignite instead of do blast damage the Flamethrower will be far more efficient and cost effective anyway.

I personally don't feel anything is really needed for the Firebug, diversity is nice, but it is going to be very hard in my mind to think of a weapon that isn't overpowered, serves a role not currently occupied by a Firebug weapon, sticks with this DoT principle and makes sense that the perk would have it. Sadly I don't think Firemines are gonna cut the mustard I'm afraid :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think there should be "fire" versions of all weapon types, personally.

We could do with an incendiary 'nade gun, firepipes and maybe a flame shotgun that sprays a wide cone of fire in a single big flare, or something.

Give me a flaming Katana, and I will only play Zerker/ Firebug forever.

EDIT: Or how about a literal fire axe.
^__________________________^

Upvote 0
Isn't that a little unfair to every other class in the game? Being able to use pretty much any perks weapon and get a damage boost for it (in the form of ignting foes) is something no other perk could do.

I mean the Firebugs role is meant to be making use of DoT to weaken and slow down speicmens on masse for his team. He thins out the crowd making it alot easier for his teamates to hold foes back. Give him a bonus on other wepaons and you remove him out of that role and mka ehim alot less dependant on his team.

Another straight issue is the Shotgun, M70, M32, Ak, Scar they are all more powerful than the MAC-10, and that had to be nerfed because the fire damage coupled with its headshot capabilities craeted alot of balance issues.

You give these guns a burn off too and you've not only made a bunch of overpowered weapons, but you also make the MAC-10 pretty much obsolete. Even giving it to just the Handcannon creates a gun that outshines the Mac.

I will concede though that he basically has only 1 Firebug loadout, which is little naff, but remember, yesteryear we only had the Flamethrower and I know I was quite happy with just that. More weapons would be nice, but they need to diversify from the weapons the Firebug already has, while still sticking to this DoT philosophy.

Only issue I find with Firebombs is they wont be that far removed from grenades and if they only ignite instead of do blast damage the Flamethrower will be far more efficient and cost effective anyway.

I personally don't feel anything is really needed for the Firebug, diversity is nice, but it is going to be very hard in my mind to think of a weapon that isn't overpowered, serves a role not currently occupied by a Firebug weapon, sticks with this DoT principle and makes sense that the perk would have it. Sadly I don't think Firemines are gonna cut the mustard I'm afraid :)

I did say with the right adjustments :p

Perhaps in this case "the right adjustments" is that he only gets 1-3 semi-perked weapons, M79, Shotgun, LAW(?).

Shotgun because the Dragon's Breath shells, that i've shown a picture of, the M79 because people want it, and the RoF doesn't seem that OP, given that you have 24 rounds which you have to aim, and the LAW, which unless someone makes a M202, could fire White Phosphorus (WP).

Perhaps we could ignore Commando and Sharpie entirely in this part, seeing as they would make the M10 obsolete; except for the attainability.

Upvote 0
Give me a flaming Katana, and I will only play Zerker/ Firebug forever.

EDIT: Or how about a literal fire axe.
^__________________________^

I vote flaming chainsaw. optional Hello Kitty decals, just because.

Actually....double-barreled shotgun, magazine for each barrel with dragon's breath shells, and a flaming chainsaw "bayonet". :IS2: Also with optional Hello Kitty decals, of course. Could just imagine Ash Williams with that. :cool:

Serious/On topic: That could be a cool addition, I can see myself putting it at a back door so I don't have to worry about zeds coming from behind for a while (except husks, scrakes, and fleshpounds), in a choke point behind us if we have to make a run for it, or outside of a welded door to activate it when it gets to be too much for the support to keep it welded.

Upvote 0
I don't like the idea, I get what you're going at, and that the load out is a bit poor... But penny for the thought.
I think the only thing that needs to be done is the Firebug have an increased Afterburn damage each level it goes up... At the moment I feel Firebug is a poor class because it's the one that doesn't, really ever feel effective. It takes too long to crisp things than it should, which makes it feel pretty weak.

As for the Incindenary Shotgun/rifle/etc. I can't say I'm for it. It strays away from the Flamethrower which should be the Firebug's main weapon; I also feel that you can't just give a class a shotgun and add its perks abilities onto it without going too close into the other perks role.

Upvote 0