Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > RO2/RS Beta Testing > RO2/RS Beta Testing > General

View Poll Results: Should we reintroduce a Lockdown as an option for Classic
Yes 45 27.61%
No 118 72.39%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.  
Old 05-02-2012, 11:26 AM

I am against lockdown in general. It was a good idea that didn't work. I'd even increase the amount of the basic time on some maps. However, server side option might not be bad.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:44 PM

I'm divided. On the one hand, the tweaks to Lockdown for Realism mode are a huge improvement, so when people disliked Lockdown, we can now say "this is not your grandfather's Lockdown". I've always liked Lockdown in principle, but the improvements are great for it and pretty much obviate the strongest objections to it. So in that respect I think it would be a good fit with Classic mode. Then again, I'm more of a fan of Realism mode to begin with so my opinion is probably a dilution of the essence of Classic mode.

So on the other hand, regardless of changes to it, the absence of Lockdown seems to be one of that set of core things that defined what an RO Classic mode would be. It seems weird to expand into a distinct mode, conceive of a mode that goes the opposite direction in "Action mode" and then double back and collapse the differences again.

The best solution would probably be as it is: to make Lockdown one of those "custom" options so that a server admin can choose to have Classic with lockdown in their setup, only their server is then classified as "Custom" rather than "Classic" . I think players that hate Lockdown in any form would be rather pissed to join a server that is classified as "Classic" only to find it has Lockdown.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:30 PM

It's the one reason I play classic, no lockdown.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:19 PM

Default off but available as a server option. You never , ever throw away tools. Didn't your papa teach you that?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 PM

Bad allegory is bad, because I could say something like "Hopefully he taught you that you need to take out the trash" as a response. Neither comment is very constructive.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:13 PM

Some of the maps can definitely be painful though, without lockdown. In general I am a fan of lockdown, but with much longer timers. Lockdown should only ever shave a maximum of 5 minutes off a map if the defenders are really doing their job.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:40 PM

I am not missing lockdown at all to be honest, so don't bother with reintroducing it. The whole idea of lockdown is flawed and doesn't really do what it's supposed to do when it's supposed to do it.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:44 AM

The game has never been so much fun as without that timer looming overhead.

May it never return.

Now we just need to get rid of the battlefield promotion/class stealing " feature ".

Last edited by Das Bose; 05-06-2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:43 PM

While I totally understand the idea of lockdown, there has never been one moment where I was happy or grateful it kicked in. Rid me of it.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:04 PM

I had no real opinion on this, but I like it now that it is removed. So for me, it doesn't need to be brought back in.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:49 AM

Lock down like someone above said was a good idea in theory

But in the practical side it spoiled more games than it improved - so I'm not sorry to see it go.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:40 AM

How many of you played with the Modified lockdown present in the Realism server? It makes a drastic change, quite a lot of the time it doesn't even get induced which is exactly how it should be. If the attacking team is making a good effort, it wont activate. The modified lockdown only really comes into play when the attacking team is getting slaughtered.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwivey View Post
How many of you played with the Modified lockdown present in the Realism server? It makes a drastic change, quite a lot of the time it doesn't even get induced which is exactly how it should be. If the attacking team is making a good effort, it wont activate. The modified lockdown only really comes into play when the attacking team is getting slaughtered.
I bet many of them haven't. And it is exactly as you say, it rarely even triggers and then the few times I have seen it, an objective ends up getting capped anyway and it goes away. This is how lockdown should have been.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:00 PM

What I hated the most was the fact that at some point people were forced to run into the capzone ASAP because of the lockdown, turning already bad situation of the attacking team into worse as they didn't even have the time to offer proper fire support for their comrades who were mowed down on approach. I don't like the idea of being forced into the capzone after carefully moving through the battlefield because of the timer either. I don't find it healthy to the gameplay as I'd like to wait for some teammates while covering my zone of fire so they can join me.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwivey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by =GG= Mr Moe View Post
I bet many of them haven't. And it is exactly as you say, it rarely even triggers and then the few times I have seen it, an objective ends up getting capped anyway and it goes away. This is how lockdown should have been.
I was thinking the same thing as well. Still, I think it's sufficient for it to be a server custom option.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:05 PM

^^ Yes that is how lock-down SHOULD have been. Once the new lock-down goes live to the Realism mode, I think everyone will be a lot happier with it. I know I am, and I don't like lock-down.

If there is going to be a Classic mode (and it looks like there is) it needs to be substantially differentiated from the Realism mode. The absence of lock-down is one thing that is very much different. If Classic mode is intended to be the thing that is closest to Ost in terms of game-play....leave it out.

The changes to lock-down are awesome, and in the new version it's to the point where I will not shy away from a realism server, especially playing a map I like.