Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > RO2/RS Beta Testing > RO2/RS Beta Testing > Feedback

Feedback This is not Ideas & Suggestions ;p

Old 05-06-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerikaner View Post
I agree, move compass to tactical display. What am I missing though cause I don't see any purpose for it at all. It doesn't show objectives so unless you memorize obj locations on the static map, what's the point? Even if you did that, tactical display is much easier to use anyway.

In any case, any dev comments on this?
It's easier to indicate enemy positions. Saying that there's an enemy MG 100m east of that landmark is much clearer than saying that there's an enemy MG left of that building. Wind directions aren't relative to someone's position. Also works for indicating enemy movement, flanks, telling squads where to go/attack and so on.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:38 AM

Yeah so fat the only real use of the compass is telling people that a enemy is east for example. A compass would be more handy on bigger maps, like tank maps etc.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkiewikkie View Post
It's easier to indicate enemy positions. Saying that there's an enemy MG 100m east of that landmark is much clearer than saying that there's an enemy MG left of that building. Wind directions aren't relative to someone's position. Also works for indicating enemy movement, flanks, telling squads where to go/attack and so on.
True but considering the maps aren't huge I'm not so sure that the compass is that useful in that regard. At least not useful enough for it to be visible all the time and not in the tactical display. After a few playthroughs most players get accustomed to a map and then they speak in terms of landmarks or objectives.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerikaner View Post
True but considering the maps aren't huge I'm not so sure that the compass is that useful in that regard. At least not useful enough for it to be visible all the time and not in the tactical display. After a few playthroughs most players get accustomed to a map and then they speak in terms of landmarks or objectives.
The maps we have atm are indeed a bit small, but with future (custom) maps I'm sure it's useful. It doesn't take up a lot of space on your hud and you're not running around with tactical overlay for the whole match. If it's moved to the tactical display I'm fine with it.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkiewikkie View Post
The maps we have atm are indeed a bit small, but with future (custom) maps I'm sure it's useful. It doesn't take up a lot of space on your hud and you're not running around with tactical overlay for the whole match. If it's moved to the tactical display I'm fine with it.
Yeah, that's why making it toggleable in a menu option is best for everybody. I can see people liking it but there's also alot of players who like the most completely minimalistic HUD possible.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:16 PM

I would definitely prefer to have the compass on the Tactical View (as an option, sure). In fact, the tactical view seems to be made just for something like that- additional info available to be brought up that would normally needlessly clutter up the HUD. I think it being onscreen at all times is overkill for something that players like me only use once every couple of matches.

This is a still from my current project, War According to Video Games-
Preview of "War According to Video Games" - YouTube
Old 06-12-2012, 09:35 PM

I can't for the life of me understand why the compass is

1) so huge on the screen, and

2) not on the tactical view. I thought the whole point of the tactical view was to hide HuD elements?

Also, I'm not at all liking all of these weird HuD icons for enemy spotted. They just don't fit in RO. If you MUST put them in the game, devs, please keep them on the tactical view.

So yes, I agree.

A Dedicated RO Veteran since 2003
Check out my RO videos! RED ORCHESTRA: Overture to War - YouTube

Last edited by hockeywarrior; 06-13-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:59 AM

Agreed, move to tac view.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:50 PM

The type of compass and its location are servers option for a custom server.
Where enemy spotted show up (if at all) is also a custom server option.
Whether spotted enemies, teammates or just squad members show up on the realism compass is a custom server option.

Lots of tweaks a server admin can do.