Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Killing Floor Forums > Killing Floor General > Ideas and Suggestions

Old 05-05-2012, 12:05 PM

Buttons aside, does it have the hardware for the job? From what I know Killing Floor already has problems with needing a lot of power in order for it to run in a playable manner. Thus why we have a limit of 32 zeds spawned at a time.

Or is this due to its minimum specs?
Old 05-05-2012, 12:10 PM

I like the idea!
Old 05-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartley View Post
Lets boil it down to what controls you really need.

Move and Look
Weapons selection
Jump
Crouch
Nade
Fire
Secondary Fire

That's it really, you could map that to a PSP. And that's before you consider using one button as a function key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undedd Jester View Post
+ Aim Down Sight
+ Reload
+ Interact (Doors and Trader)
You forgot about the voice commands, menu select and kick-voting :P

Last edited by BenioX; 05-05-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:20 PM

I think this would work well enough, and a couple of buttons are free:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenioX View Post
kick voting
That can be done from the menu.

Quote:
voice commands
It has a built-in microphone.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
It has a built-in microphone.
But it's not same what those Brittish accent soldiers mait
Old 05-05-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
But it's not same what those Brittish accent soldiers mait
Fine, use 'up' on the d-pad, or the select button.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
Fine, use 'up' on the d-pad, or the select button.
Okay, select button seems legit
Now, is there any dev seeing this topic and ready to implement this? If so I am so getting vita
Old 05-05-2012, 04:28 PM

Nice job on the button lay out. Don't forget there's a front and back touch pad. I hope to god the dev's are looking at this. I want this to happen so bad! C'mon tripwire I know you can do it.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleigee View Post
C'mon tripwire I know you can do it.
If they could, then instead of having discussion here we'd all be playing KF on Vita right now
Old 05-05-2012, 09:09 PM

Had a crack at mapping out a potential PS Vita control scheme. It feels a little... shoe horned, but I can't shake that feeling more than with this.

Spoiler!

It ain't perfect, but you could have a decent whack at doing everything regular KF does. Minus voice commands ofc.

I'll think of something to put here later....
Old 05-06-2012, 12:35 AM

Undedd that image of the layout is sick. Tripwire that is serious inspiration, let's make it happen.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:57 AM

Nope, bad idea. I have played FPS on the console and on the computer the simple fact is that there are underlining designs that cause the game to be favored one way or the other. For example, two weapon swapping helped to deal with the weapon selection problem for console. On the computer it is not problem since you can usually switch to any weapon with a push of the button. And speaking of weapon selection, note that if the button is on the left d-pad you need to take your thumb off the movement stick when switching weapons(it would support using fewer weapons). You might be able to make a game playable on the vita but making it enjoyable is much harder. Although I do admit the touch screen would solve the issue buy weapons and armor faster, just controller would be impractical for that.

P.S. Also for people wanting to take a crack at control set ups. Do not have the alt fire on the D-pad. Just like with weapon select you stop moving for as long as your finger is off. A flashlight or laser sight is fine, but I see problem when you are using the HS or any melee weapon. Although it would make it harder to kite with melee weapons. Also crouch is a lower priority button, maybe switch the two. Still keep it in mind.

Last edited by Valar_Omega; 05-06-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valar_Omega View Post
Nope, bad idea. I have played FPS on the console and on the computer the simple fact is that there are underlining designs that cause the game to be favored one way or the other. For example, two weapon swapping helped to deal with the weapon selection problem for console. On the computer it is not problem since you can usually switch to any weapon with a push of the button. And speaking of weapon selection, note that if the button is on the left d-pad you need to take your thumb off the movement stick when switching weapons(it would support using fewer weapons).
You have a good point. In this case you could implement a radial menu using one of the primary buttons, using the view stick to select the weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valar_Omega View Post
P.S. Also for people wanting to take a crack at control set ups. Do not have the alt fire on the D-pad. Just like with weapon select you stop moving for as long as your finger is off. A flashlight or laser sight is fine, but I see problem when you are using the HS or any melee weapon. Although it would make it harder to kite with melee weapons. Also crouch is a lower priority button, maybe switch the two. Still keep it in mind.
Perhaps some cutbacks would have to be made, but in the case of melee weapons you could have fire and alt-fire on the same key (hold down slightly longer for alt-fire). As you say, switching fire mode is no problem on the d-pad since it's not often something you do in the middle of a fire-fight. As for the HS, you could either remove one of its functions completely or allow for a combination button press to be used (for example, reload+fire) for the alt-fire mode. Or, allow the fire modes to be toggled instead.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:41 AM

make killing floor avaiable to psvita is not a porting, but create from scratch since there is too many differences, and nothing replace that accurate aiming using mouse because mouse can follow exactly where my hand/aiming. No some auto aiming bull**** can replace this sensation.

btw, killing floor lite sounds good, make it portable to carry in usb drive, and whenever we found a network connected pc, we can play our favorite game
Old 05-06-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmasher View Post
make killing floor avaiable to psvita is not a porting, but create from scratch since there is too many differences, and nothing replace that accurate aiming using mouse because mouse can follow exactly where my hand/aiming. No some auto aiming bull**** can replace this sensation.

btw, killing floor lite sounds good, make it portable to carry in usb drive, and whenever we found a network connected pc, we can play our favorite game
A spawn version of KF for LANs?! I'd happily pay for that.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:53 PM

you CAN put killingfloor on a usb drive and play it wherever you want, it's the steam connection thats the problem.

before i had a laptop, i would just go to the library and use their computers to make maps and stuff running KF off of a usb drive.

i just wasnt able to play online because of being required to install steam on that computer.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_sauce View Post
you CAN put killingfloor on a usb drive and play it wherever you want, it's the steam connection thats the problem.

before i had a laptop, i would just go to the library and use their computers to make maps and stuff running KF off of a usb drive.

i just wasnt able to play online because of being required to install steam on that computer.
in theory we can, but my killing floor itself taking 10GB including all the patch, maps, and mods, to play coop, we need to copy the killing floor folder that can take about 20 minutes.

if we can make stripped down version self extracting killing floor that only take about ~4gb and this will be the real portable killing floor lite
Old 05-07-2012, 06:19 PM

no, not in theory, in practice it is completely viable.
this is what i had to do before because i didnt have a computer at all. i just couldnt play ONLINE because of the steam requirement, but the game/editor ran just fine off of an external device.