Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > RO2/RS Beta Testing > RO2/RS Beta Testing > General

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.  
Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 PM

Aye, I'll still watch to see what happens when all this finally rolls out the door. I'm hoping that this will all gel better than it's looking right now because I'm honestly worried. Your company has made one of the extremely few original games in memory. I don't want that series going anywhere. Expect to see me back around patch time whenever this is all supposed to hit. I hope that I'm worried over nothing.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:32 PM

Personally I've never had as much fun playing the game as today in the classic realism beta. But I've always been begging for more perceived realism so it's not exactly shocking.

TWI are finally listening to the feedback they get from the forums, and people have wanted gameplay changes all along. There have always been a ton of technical issues. I see where you're coming from, and I'm starting to get really sick of the same old maps too. But TWI can't do everything at the same time, and at least they're making progress.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:56 PM

Aye, I get that some folks want this new mode coming out. As for folks like me and my buddies, we just want new maps and these bug fixes. Now these are tied up in a beta waiting on new modes that are being tested and developed. Why exactly can't these fixes be rolled out onto our current mode that we have working? Why are we being left to stagnate waiting on content we didn't ask for. I've sat by silently for ages trusting in Tripwire's judgement. I'm only now just starting to question that and it in all honesty saddens me that it's come to that. I'm gonna go back to silently watching until this patch eventually hits, but its taking a good long while and we're still left with a broken game at the moment. It works enough, but it could be so much better.

We'll see what happens and my worst fear is that community is about to be split worse when you have two camps dividing the already fragmented community in the game modes. The folks in the middle are going to be forced to choose I think.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:27 AM

I think for action mode more smgs and semi-auto rifles should be available to players, obviously the normal rifle should still be there, I would think it should make it more enjoyable to play for those who like this sort of mode, especially on the smaller maps.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:31 AM

I'm not so bothered by the time spent on creating the action mode, it's more of a question if it's wise to make the identity of the game even more unclear.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarebasher View Post
I think for action mode more smgs and semi-auto rifles should be available to players, obviously the normal rifle should still be there, I would think it should make it more enjoyable to play for those who like this sort of mode, especially on the smaller maps.

The game still has to keep its game-play balance, that is to say close remaining reinforcements at round/match end.
It is very rare that a match will end with 98 Axis spawns and 0 Rus, or vice-versa, the game is pretty well optimized in this sense, that is why some stuff is limited/spawn points are moved or modified with updates as needed.
Giving everybody a BFG is not going to help.

I am guilty of playing and enjoying BF3 but the match balance is completely out of the window, at match end you may have 362 slots left for the goodies and zero slots for the baddies .

RO is one of the few games that manages to achieve this balance.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inogine View Post
Aye, I get that some folks want this new mode coming out. As for folks like me and my buddies, we just want new maps and these bug fixes. Now these are tied up in a beta waiting on new modes that are being tested and developed. Why exactly can't these fixes be rolled out onto our current mode that we have working? Why are we being left to stagnate waiting on content we didn't ask for. I've sat by silently for ages trusting in Tripwire's judgement. I'm only now just starting to question that and it in all honesty saddens me that it's come to that. I'm gonna go back to silently watching until this patch eventually hits, but its taking a good long while and we're still left with a broken game at the moment. It works enough, but it could be so much better.
I think it's because while there are significant bug fixes in the Beta aside from gameplay tweaks/new modes, TWI has always wanted to wait on patching them to the release product because of the bulky way that patching currently works. They don't want to patch the game every other week with only 2 or 3 bugfixes per patch because the download requirements are out of proportion, unless they're damn sure it's completely necessary (like to hotfix a totally gamebreaking bug).

Also I think if you divorce simple bugfixes from gameplay tweaks in Beta, you triple the number of patches (patch for bugfixes to both main game and for Beta, and then patch for gameplay tweaks in Beta) rolling out. Doubling the amount of patch downloads for the Beta alone would not necessarily be good.

It may also have something to do with plans to release the Really Big Patch that has everything we've seen in the Beta, as a prelude to a free weekend "relaunch".

Last edited by MarioBava; 05-03-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-04-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiro View Post
It features:
  • Addition of crosshairs
  • Removal of freeaim
  • Reduced weapon damage
Excuse me? I come back here after a couple of months, and I see this...
Old 05-04-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple25mm View Post
Excuse me? I come back here after a couple of months, and I see this...
maybe you should come back more often so you are in the loop.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:14 AM

why do you want to waste time on this action mode TWi???
the game is in beta again after release and instead of improving the existing modes and adding content (that is seriously lacking) you try to implement this stupid unnecesarry mode that Red orchestra has nothing to do with?
i mean what are you trying to accomplish with this? no one is going to choose red orchestras action mode over other action/arcade oriented games like cod or bf3!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodie View Post
why do you want to waste time on this action mode TWi???
the game is in beta again after release and instead of improving the existing modes and adding content (that is seriously lacking) you try to implement this stupid unnecesarry mode that Red orchestra has nothing to do with?
i mean what are you trying to accomplish with this? no one is going to choose red orchestras action mode over other action/arcade oriented games like cod or bf3!
Have you tried Normal in the current Beta?

Right now the server alternates between Normal and Realism. The differences are a lot more subtle than the volume of these posts. IMO.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:42 PM

i played some maps today and i think this mode serves a good purpose. it still features lots of the great mechanics of ro2, but isn't as unforgiving as the other modes.
the lower damage values and static aiming definitely make it a good gateway mode for newcomers that might ragequit while trying realism or even classic.
i genuinely had fun playing it, it's really not bad.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 AM

That's my opinion as well. Yes, it is more forgiving, but the maps are the same. Although I was hooked on the game day one, I also remember how frustrating it was learning to play these wide open, RO2-style maps in an insta-kill environment. It was hard.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Anti-Matter Games

I still think that for action mode lowering the zoom would be a good idea, to stop possible camping. As well as perhaps slightly reducing the explosives.

Nobody likes getting killed from seemingly nowhere, and making the engagement ranges shorter as well as lowering the amount of weaponry that can be used without direct sight of the enemy. Would likely help in making things easier to step into.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:51 PM

This mode is a waste of time; nobody is going to buy RO2 for the mode that makes it juts like every other FPS game.
Niche games don't succeed through genericness. Look at Tribes: Ascend. Does that game "ease players in" with a mode without jetpacks and skiing?
Do the Mount & Blade games have a "gateway drug" mode where you have an AK-47?
Does Arma 2 have linear corridor maps to attract a new crowd?
Speaking of Arma, is the surprising success of the DayZ mod (many of its players bought Arma 2 just for it) because of forgiving gameplay?
Did Ostfront need an action mode!?

Of course not!
RO2 doesn't need action mode or even the relaxed mode, for that matter.

Last edited by Scarf Ace; 05-15-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:50 PM

I have yet to play action mode. I want to play it. I liked firefight. Sometimes I just wanna jump in, shoot some people and get out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fnscar
Sager NP8170 | Intel i7-2630QM | 8gb RAM | GeForce GTX 580M
Old 05-15-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf Ace View Post
Did Ostfront need an action mode!?
Actually, yes.

TWI had to give away, what, 500,000 copies to find 1000 or so hipsters who appreciated its unique style(?) That's a fine strategy when you are small and playing around; however, a mature company will also want to know why so little of that balognie stuck to the wall.

What you don't seem to appreciate is that a lot of these Action types already own RO2. They also own ROOst and Killing Floor. Why should TWI subsidize their competitors by refusing to service their own customers? It makes about as much sense as neglecting core fans, but enough has been written about that.

Last edited by Torio; 05-15-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Do the Mount & Blade games have a "gateway drug" mode where you have an AK-47?
you can simplify the gameplay of m&b a lot, autoblock, 1/4damage etc.
Quote:
Does Arma 2 have linear corridor maps to attract a new crowd?
have you played the singleplayer campaign? i remember some very linear maps there.
i should stop feeding the trolls, but sometimes i can't resist...
Old 05-16-2012, 08:24 AM
Glorious IS-2 Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tixhal View Post
have you played the singleplayer campaign?
Mind if I ask what's the purpose of comparing singleplayer campaign to a multiplayer gamemode\functionality?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:51 AM

what's the purpose of comparing a medieval sandbox game and a modern military simulator sandbox to an eastern front fps? they attract completely different audiences.