Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS General > Ideas and Suggestions

Old 04-30-2012, 02:33 PM

Default Can't prone here

Is object interference something that the dev team is looking into?

I think all of us who regularly play the game have been there.

You dart across the clearing and finally reach cover. Hit your prone button during a hail of bullets only to instead of throwing yourself on the ground, you just stand there looking at the "can't prone here" message.

Of course, you get shot and die.

I think that in a real world situation, choosing between throwing yourself on that rock on the ground and taking bullets, the choice would be obvious.

Can the game be tweaked to be more forgiving about object interference like this?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:45 PM

It's probably my one and only gripe about the whole design of the game: taking fire and feverishly hitting that button only to have the: Can Not Prone Here message show up on the screen
Old 04-30-2012, 03:19 PM

Another thing is the limitation of movement of the mg, sometimes you can't aim any further while there is no legitimate restriction.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAtomic View Post
It's probably my one and only gripe about the whole design of the game: taking fire and feverishly hitting that button only to have the: Can Not Prone Here message show up on the screen

Well, then you're lucky, because I have a LOT.
Not only do you get the "cant prone here" msg on uneven ground, you also get it in situations, where your normal reaction would be to just propel yourself a bit foward, e.g. when there's a wall behind you. "You can't lie down, there's a wall behind you!" the game tells you. And expects you to walk 2-3 paces in front and then lie down again.

Not regarding other gripes, like the totally botched tank implementation with radar robot gunners and all the other idioticly bungled crap.
After about 200 hours I have to say: As it is, this game stinks big time
And I gave it the benefit of the doubt for about 180 hours of gameplay.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
Is object interference something that the dev team is looking into?

I think all of us who regularly play the game have been there.

You dart across the clearing and finally reach cover. Hit your prone button during a hail of bullets only to instead of throwing yourself on the ground, you just stand there looking at the "can't prone here" message.

Of course, you get shot and die.

I think that in a real world situation, choosing between throwing yourself on that rock on the ground and taking bullets, the choice would be obvious.

Can the game be tweaked to be more forgiving about object interference like this?
Any time you "Cant prone here", you should be made to "crouch" automatically. and receive the "can't prone here" message.
Am I right?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbitslim7 View Post
Another thing is the limitation of movement of the mg, sometimes you can't aim any further while there is no legitimate restriction.
If I understand you and the changelog correctly, this one was addressed in a recent Beta patch. But I also know that MG pivot obstruction has to do with the whole player model, not just the gun, so sometimes it seems to you that you have plenty of room for the gun itself to pivot, but there may be an object out of your fov impeding the player model from turning the way it has to. This is especially true when prone or in rooms with tight furniture.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlemonade View Post
Any time you "Cant prone here", you should be made to "crouch" automatically. and receive the "can't prone here" message.
Am I right?
sure sounds like a great idea to me. i usually go straight to crouch and try to get the first shot off, while the other guy's trying to go prone anyway.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:18 PM

I have started a thread about this before, here http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...ighlight=prone
Take a look on it.

Or:

Who doesnīt know this words? And we see often when we donīt want to see them, because we have another big problem - some evil enemys want to kill us and we canīt prone because one single wall in front of us! Thatīs very bad.

Maybe it is possible to make it possible to prone in situations like this?
I mean there is only one single wall, and all around open area. And i only canīt prone because of the little wall in front of me? Thatīs terrible.

If there would be enough space to prone it must be possible.
If there is a wall or something like this it would be nice if your character is auto move some cm, so it will be possible to prone here.

Of course if there is absolutly no way to prone itīs ok when you "cannot prone here". In a one-man-foxhole for example.

And i have see it a lot of time on Mamayev, i cannot prone when i stay in a crater, that incredible, too (but maybe it will be fixed with the final map version).

So but mainly i mean it must be possible to "prone here" when there is only a wall in fron of me. When i am under fire i have no time to turn arround to find a possible position to prone.

It would be nice to see some fixes for this problem.

By Dibbler & Team
Save RO2 - Support IOM - Join a IOM Server!
Old 05-05-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleist View Post

It would be nice to see some fixes for this problem.
it would be nice if they fixed a whole host of these annoying little problems. unfortunately, they're too busy redoing the whole game to try and make a group happy. i hope that group is as big as they think and comes back when twi is done with classic. i'd like to see twi get back to work on gameplay issues and bugs, myself.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:32 PM

Sounds familiar to me too. No hurries though...
Old 05-31-2012, 06:13 PM

As it is, it brings much more negative than positive into the game. Try crawling in mamayev trench systems, useless. And I'm not gonna even count how many times I've died because of my character being unable to get down behind a cover or unable to turn around to shoot.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Anti-Matter Games

Personally I'd rather have the old system with your legs from time to time sticking through a wall and getting shot that way, than the current prone system.

I get killed much more by trying to prone and getting the message you cannot prone here, than I ever got shot due to my legs sticking out to a wall.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:59 AM

I hate this feature. I get killed too many times because the game won't let me do what my in-game self would do automatically.

Just make the game bounce me back a foot or whatever / orient me the right way so i can prone all the time because this is ridiculous.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopardi View Post
As it is, it brings much more negative than positive into the game. Try crawling in mamayev trench systems, useless. And I'm not gonna even count how many times I've died because of my character being unable to get down behind a cover or unable to turn around to shoot.
Well, the trenches aren't that wide, so in real life, turning around to shoot probably wasn't that easy either

You don't need to crawl in them though. (except during artillery strikes) Most of the time crouching is sufficient.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:24 PM

yes it starts to get really annoying ,the prone system doesn t work, too slow to turn around.and now we get stuck sometime can t move at all, so you need to stand up to unlock yourself ,if you lucky it works,too many variable to stop you to prone still ,but it is better than it used to be but still some work to do
Old 06-04-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrick6767 View Post
yes it starts to get really annoying ,the prone system doesn t work, too slow to turn around.and now we get stuck sometime can t move at all, so you need to stand up to unlock yourself ,if you lucky it works,too many variable to stop you to prone still ,but it is better than it used to be but still some work to do
I don't know bout too slow to turn around, and getting stuck... These things are to be expected.

Try laying down on your belly in a space that is only 3ft / 1m wide and see how fast you can turn around

I just would like if the system always made you go prone when you pushed the button, but adjusted your position a little so it made you go prone where you fit, rather than having to walk back and forth until you find a good position, while being shot at
Old 06-04-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
Well, the trenches aren't that wide, so in real life, turning around to shoot probably wasn't that easy either

You don't need to crawl in them though. (except during artillery strikes) Most of the time crouching is sufficient.
it's not just that, you can't get down, can't even crawl forward, can't "dive for cover" in trenches

Last edited by Leopardi; 06-04-2012 at 02:08 PM.