Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS Modifications > General Modding Discussion

Old 04-29-2012, 09:47 AM

Haha "Tripwires". Oh the irony. It's not actually ironic but I still find it funny.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Nomad View Post
Yep...... they're called "tripwires" and they were quite effective. Still in use today. That's how effective they are.
Yeah, I've actually setup quite a few claymores, both training and live. These m-39 seem to work on the same triggering principle, although a bit more rudimentary. Still see this exact thing done with various grenades in Afghanistan today (and even more in Iraq while we were there). Kick in a door and BOOM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt-Praxius View Post
My guess would be that they used the red capped grenades with the 1 second fuse..... and while it probably wouldn't be impossible to add into the game, those traps would be equally deadly to both the enemy and your team.... and while one could use some highlighting effect for team mates, that wouldn't be all that real. Though it would have to force players to communicate better by telling their team that they rigged a specific area, and where so their team mates didn't wander through blindly and kill themselves.

I also have a few ideas on what I may do with the Molotovs and which classes would get them, etc.... but I'll do another thread specifically for the Molotov when I start working on that.
I have to admit I'm kind of playing devil's advocate, because I'm not sure I'd want them to have this ability in RO2... but wouldn't it be possible to show in the map and tactical view where a boobytrap is setup in order to alert players on your own team?

Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRanger View Post
I have to admit I'm kind of playing devil's advocate, because I'm not sure I'd want them to have this ability in RO2... but wouldn't it be possible to show in the map and tactical view where a boobytrap is setup in order to alert players on your own team?
Well I don't see why not.... but it's start to move a bit into the "COD" of things imo.... perhaps if what was done was to have it noted on the map, but generalized on location kind of like how the enemy spotting is soon going to work like.... where in "This General Area" you have to watch your step, but it's not clearly noted.... thus forcing players to use their eyes and watch where they're going.

But I'd much prefer not to have that kind of thing in at all, as without such a system, those rigging up the booby trap would be more enticed to better communicate with their team, or face having some TK's under their belt, as well as dropped honor.

And one thing this game needs more of, is more communication between team mates.

Added:

As an update, I have made a few more modifications to the model since last I put up a screen shot. I have refined the design of the wing nut, smoothed the edges a bit more, as well as curved the ends. I also improved the texture that was used on the Wing Nut and begun working on the belt ring on the bottom.

But I've also been pretty busy and haven't put up a screen shot yet. Once I finish up the belt ring, I'll throw up an updated screenshot.

Last edited by Cpt-Praxius; 04-30-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:31 PM

Default trips

lol I'd say no tripwires. I've played lots of Project reality and even with marked mines on the map, 3D VIOP and the ability to crawl past them about 70-90% of the insurgents TKs are by mines and grenade traps.
People seem to like to run around not looking where they are headed.

Last edited by leathery; 04-30-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathery View Post
lol I'd say no tripwires. I've played lots of Project reality and even with marked mines on the map, 3D VIOP and the ability to crawl past them about 70-90% of the insurgents TKs are by mines and grenade traps.
People seem to like to run around not looking where they are headed.
Well I did have an idea earlier today, in that the different grenade types would be assigned to specific classes.

Assault's would have the 4 second ones.... recon and MG's would have the 1 second ones for tripmines, and the 10 second ones could be for Commander/Squad Leaders.... still thinking about it though, but that way, it would limit the amount of players being able to lay down tripmines.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:20 AM

In the German Army placing mines or booby-traps is a speciallity of engineers, so if you want to reduce the numbers of red-cap handgrenades, you could assign them to the engineer class instead of machine gunners. If the loadout is too heavy, make it an option to choose either a satchel or a booby trap grenade. Of course it is a good idea to give them to recon too.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 AM

By the way, there is a detail regarding the sound: the Eierhandgranate 39 used in Stalingrad (produced later than 23.05.1942) had the fuse type Brennzünder 40. The important difference to the fuses produced before that date was that when the cord was pulled there was an audible bang from the firing pin hitting the percussion cap. When the cord was pulled, the firing pin was pulled back until a predetermined breaking point was reached and then propelled by the striker spring to the percussion cap. This feature was introduced so that the soldiers knew that the ignition of the delay began and they could start the count down depending on the type of delay.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:06 PM

Just as an update, this project is on temporary hold.... perhaps only for a short time.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:13 PM

Cool, no rush.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:14 AM

Alright, after giving the last update a trial run in the last week and determining if Classic was going to take over all the servers in my area & leaving me with nothing I'd enjoy, I no longer feel concerned that I would be working on a model for a game I wouldn't play anymore (or enjoy anyways)..... so the modeling is back on the next chance I get to load up Maya.

There are a few glitches and bugs since the last patch, but nothing serious that won't get fixed later on.

I'll update this thread again the next time I have something new to show.

The Molotov Cocktail and a few other weapons are still planned to be worked on after this project..... so long as I don't hit a road block in this project
Old 06-07-2012, 07:45 AM

Good to see that! A friend of mine is a historian, so if you have any questions regarding details...
Old 07-30-2012, 07:51 AM

Model M39 Grenade (Beta) Complete

I say Beta because I may do some minor tweaking later on, but as far as I'm concerned, the look and details needed for this model are done.

I could have finished this a few months back, but I dilly dallied.... and just got back to it about an hour ago.

Now to the Molotov Cocktail.....
Old 08-01-2012, 01:50 PM

I would work on the metal a bit more. It resembles plastic a bit too much right now, between the specularity and the flat grey. Also, maybe rework the color of the body? The color you are using doesn't really resemble what was used for those grenades. I'd be happy to help if you are open to the idea.

Cheers! Looking good!
Old 08-01-2012, 02:09 PM

Are you also working on coding that in the game?
If so, good luck. We should create a charity to supply Cpt-Praxius with energy drinks and diapers
Old 08-01-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauser98k View Post
I would work on the metal a bit more. It resembles plastic a bit too much right now, between the specularity and the flat grey. Also, maybe rework the color of the body? The color you are using doesn't really resemble what was used for those grenades. I'd be happy to help if you are open to the idea.

Cheers! Looking good!
Well I noticed the paint job (green) in various photos varies from blueish'grey, green, brown, copper, etc. and the paint used in all except the copper (no paint?) are pretty close to matte in appearance with little shine to them. Most of the photos and references I came across show the green or the blue-grey.... so I chose the green just out of preference.

I increased the shine on the screw cap and... holster ring?

But I will be re-working the screw cap later on and modifying the texture of the bottom rings later on..... which is why I noted this as "Beta" currently.

My plan is to start working on the Molotov next and when that is at the same stage at this project, I'm going to make my attempt in bringing both into the SDK and see what happens.

My experience is more with Modeling/Textures/Animating and very little code experience, so I'll be doing some reading

If all of that goes well, then I'll finalize the models & textures.

If I'm successful with these two projects, I'll move onto firearms like the PPD-40, MP-41 (cuz I like those two SMG's from RO'past) the Mosin-Nagant M1938 Carbine & Gewehr 98 rifles.

I know the MP-41 was in limited stock during RO2's timeline..... but we can just call it a "Prototype"

Last edited by Cpt-Praxius; 08-01-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 AM
Banned

I'd love to see Tripwires in RO2..... 'nuff said.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Nomad View Post
I'd love to see Tripwires in RO2..... 'nuff said.
If I can figure out how to program it, the red caps would be tripwires for marksmen and MG classes, as the red caps were kind of an insta-boom with no timer..... and those two classes would do best with tripwires.

Though for team mates, I'd probably make them glow like satchel objects so they can see them as they approach... in some game modes that is.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:02 AM

Hey Prax,

Have you seen this video: Red Orchestra 2: Rising Storm - 4 Exclusive Multiplayer Maps - YouTube ? While it is highly intriguing overall, please look at 2:26 in particular. I think you may be able to ask the RS team members for help programming your German IED 'nades.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6
Old 12-17-2012, 10:33 AM
TWIL Senior Admin Staff

Are you still working on them?
I would love to see them in game!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 PM

After christmas i can animate it if you want