Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS Modifications > General Modding Discussion

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.  
Old 04-28-2012, 03:37 AM

The armoured car is lookin' good, Olivier. I assume the answers you need are those addressed in that thread we both posted in...

Cheers,

Fafnir_6
Old 04-28-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGleedo View Post
I do believe Harley just raised the bar!

That really does look great
I Do believe you're right.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensemann View Post
Hi Harley,

friggin awesome looking. Several pictures of the river, bridge and the village remind me of one of the DH maps. DH_ChateaU? Forgot the name...

It was a nice map and yours looks stunning as well. It looks big too. Do you already know what time limit you will give on your map? That would give me/us a general idea of the size probably.

I am excited to try your map!
Thanks Sensemann! Yes you hit the nail on the head. I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread that the first part of the map is based on Cheneux from DH (my favorite map) Objectives are the same (fields, trenches, Bridge etc)
The town itself is my own design plus I have a second bridge on the other side of town and another smaller forrest area. It's a twin objective push map also. Maybe a meat grinder but we'll see.
Still working out the time for it but I'd say roughly 40 minutes or more with about 13 to 15 objectives so far. (it's a big'n) I also have to up the amount of reinforcements as the defenders keep running out before I get to the final objectives when testing. I have it at 300 russians and 250 germans at the mo. (Germans defending)

It's a lot of fun even with bots so I can't wait to see how it plays out with humans.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11_HARLEY_11 View Post
Still working out the time for it but I'd say roughly 40 minutes or more with about 13 to 15 objectives so far. (it's a big'n) I also have to up the amount of reinforcements as the defenders keep running out before I get to the final objectives when testing. I have it at 300 russians and 250 germans at the mo. (Germans defending)

It's a lot of fun even with bots so I can't wait to see how it plays out with humans.

Yeah human testing is a must as when you add them correct Bots will run to the objective and do what have to be done. They don't stay back they run to the objective.

Humans or at least quite a few will play different. Some will go prone on your map borders and pop down enemies from there. Others will just lay further back and pop enemies from the way back.

The most valuable humans will go for the objectives and kill enemies there while they cap the objective. Meanwhile they shout to the previous mentioned players to get in the bloody objective as they are struggling to cap it.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Hi all,
It's been a little quiet in here so here's some of my latest screen shots. The map (no name yet) is coming along nicely but I'm still only 3/4 the way through. I just hope it runs well for everyone - yikes! Lots of new assets in here so it'll be a large download when its done. sorry in advance for that.
I can't give an estimate of when it'll be done as my job keeps interfering. Still fleshing it out with models and such, also there are still covernode, mantle and spawn bugs that the good peeps at TW are looking into. So I'll wait until they are ironed out before releasing.

Anyway back to it. Hope you like.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Very nice 8)
Terrain looks a bit low res at some points, what's the tiling on it like?
Also: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Terra...dTextures.html
#1 Bonzai charger
Old 04-28-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drecks View Post
Yeah human testing is a must as when you add them correct Bots will run to the objective and do what have to be done. They don't stay back they run to the objective.

Humans or at least quite a few will play different. Some will go prone on your map borders and pop down enemies from there. Others will just lay further back and pop enemies from the way back.

The most valuable humans will go for the objectives and kill enemies there while they cap the objective. Meanwhile they shout to the previous mentioned players to get in the bloody objective as they are struggling to cap it.
Well said and I agree 100% Drecks.
Humans can completely make or break your idea of how it will play out.
e.g At the moment I know I have too many high open windows where humans campers can completely own but the bots don't bother going there. Just not sure yet which ones to close off..time will tell. It's interesting how many player hats you have to where when testing your own map. I for one am a 'get to the cap' type of player. So playing as a sniper/camper is something I have make myself do in order to look for those horrible game breaking holes in design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xendance View Post
Very nice 8)
Terrain looks a bit low res at some points, what's the tiling on it like?
Also: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Terra...dTextures.html
Thanks Xendance!
All the ground textures are set to 4 (mapping scale) and they're 2048
Which screenshot do you think looked the most low res?
Thanks for the link too, will check it out now.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:

Thanks Xendance!
All the ground textures are set to 4 (mapping scale) and they're 2048
Which screenshot do you think looked the most low res?
Thanks for the link too, will check it out now.
The one with the germans in the trench. It's so low res that it's pretty hard to figure out what the ground is supposed to be.
Though that probably is a mesh?
#1 Bonzai charger
Old 04-29-2012, 06:17 AM

Some comments on the map was that it needed more detail and less empty areas. As there is no opportunity to play it the benefite is that there is plenty of time to polish and updating it.

Added more details and interior areas and even added more options to shoot from higher positions. Added an entire new objective area with high fire positions for attackers and defenders.

Now wait for a solution so the community can play custom maps.
Meanwhile more details and stuff will be added until my graphic card say stop !!!!

Old 04-29-2012, 06:42 AM
Banned

Coldsteel will become a combat classic in RO2.

Hopefully...
For BOTH TE and FF.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xendance View Post
The one with the germans in the trench. It's so low res that it's pretty hard to figure out what the ground is supposed to be.
Though that probably is a mesh?
Yep you're right that was pretty low res. It's a mesh so I've just scaled the uv's and it looks a lot better. Thanks dude.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:05 AM

Looks awesome Drecks.

Do you place the bricks with the SM tool or the 'end' key? Or combo of the two?

I seem to get a lot of double geometry when I use the SM tool for placing meshes. not sure why, I'm pretty sure I only click once.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:39 AM

I add them manually. Its a drag but then I know thay are placed correct.
I copy them in unlit mode which made it even harder to see if they wont float. But copy in lit mode makes the editor crash. Once copied I use the widget to rotate them in the desired position. I gave them a max drawdistance of 1500....
i could raise that but I'm a performance whore.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:21 PM

harley... i loved that map in dh and you ro 2 version is realy looking awesome!

i cant wait to test ist!

drecks your map also is comming along realy nice!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:41 PM

looking good guys cant wait to play these on full (human) server soon
Old 05-02-2012, 03:35 PM

Woah! Harley, I think your map will be a all time favourite for me, i got allmoast all asstets I would ever want in a map and it looks totaly beautiful!
I'm not kidding, I'm so exited about the map I am make up imaginary gameplay in my head of how matches would play out in the map!
Greate job, your an artist!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Hi all,
It's been a little quiet in here so here's some of my latest screen shots. The map (no name yet) is coming along nicely but I'm still only 3/4 the way through. I just hope it runs well for everyone - yikes! Lots of new assets in here so it'll be a large download when its done. sorry in advance for that.
I can't give an estimate of when it'll be done as my job keeps interfering. Still fleshing it out with models and such, also there are still covernode, mantle and spawn bugs that the good peeps at TW are looking into. So I'll wait until they are ironed out before releasing.

Anyway back to it. Hope you like.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
good work mate cant wait to try this.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drecks View Post
I add them manually. Its a drag but then I know thay are placed correct.
I copy them in unlit mode which made it even harder to see if they wont float. But copy in lit mode makes the editor crash. Once copied I use the widget to rotate them in the desired position. I gave them a max drawdistance of 1500....
i could raise that but I'm a performance whore.
It's a very unfortunate bug that one. I still occasionally forget I'm in shadow mode and...kaboom! It also doesn't help that in Maya the alt key is held down constantly for navigation and in udk its the copy key lol. You know how easy it is to confuse the keys when going back and forth from one program to another. Or maybe that's just me.

Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback too!

Nylle, I really hope the map/matches live up to your imagination dude and thanks for the inspirational compliments.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:39 AM

Good God that is some great work, Harley. I could say a million things about it, but I'll just say that I can't wait to play it in the future.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:53 PM

RO2 Freeze Tag - WIP
I am currently messing about trying to create my favourite/fun game mode ever - FreezeTag!!

I got into gaming playing FreezeTag for UT99 and have had the most fun with this game mode in other games (Quake III, UT2004, UT3, and COD4).

I don't expect many RO2 peeps to play it as it's not "realism", but who cares

What is FreezeTag? (for those who don't know):
FreezeTag is a round based tactical team game where the objective is to be the first team to Freeze (By Shooting/nading/meleeing) the whole enemy team.

Teams can defrost teammates by standing next to frozen teammates or by shooting an invisible beam at the frozen teammate.

WIP screen shots

A single frozen german player

A group of frozen germans

Delayed HUD messages showing who you thawed or were thawed by

A partially thawed team mate

Modified overhead map showing a frozen team mate as a snow flake

Lots left to do, but I enjoy it

Will probably have a look at CTF next or something else if I get the time.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:27 PM

New Nick.

Lordiceman......

Cool stuff. I could use some of that knoeledge.