Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS General > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Teamwork, Inc. The not-a-clan clan
Great idea! My prayers are answered 23 53.49%
Dumb. 9 20.93%
Don't need to. I can get on the 2nd FJ server any time I want. 10 23.26%
Other, with comment. 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Catalavos's Avatar
Catalavos Catalavos is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,068
Default Teamwork something-or-other

When it comes to teamwork, communication, using tactics and what-not, I'm all for it but my current limitations (no time for the commitment required of a clan, having to play on public servers, proximity of my computer to my wife's ears, etc...) make it real hard to play the game the way I really want to play it. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

So I got to thinking, would anyone be interested in creating a not-a-clan clan? Something that would combine the casual ease of public servers with a more mature approach to game play? Something that's password protected to exclude clowns? Maybe even on an un-ranked server?

I'm not trying to suggest that I have the time or resources to create something like this on my own because I have horrible management and organization skills but I'd be willing to make custom maps for it and show up to play most nights for a couple of hours.

Anyone else feel the same way?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-26-2012, 04:22 PM
mgbosshogg's Avatar
mgbosshogg mgbosshogg is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland.
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalavos View Post
When it comes to teamwork, communication, using tactics and what-not, I'm all for it but my current limitations (no time for the commitment required of a clan, having to play on public servers, proximity of my computer to my wife's ears, etc...) make it real hard to play the game the way I really want to play it. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

So I got to thinking, would anyone be interested in creating a not-a-clan clan? Something that would combine the casual ease of public servers with a more mature approach to game play? Something that's password protected to exclude clowns? Maybe even on an un-ranked server?

I'm not trying to suggest that I have the time or resources to create something like this on my own because I have horrible management and organization skills but I'd be willing to make custom maps for it and show up to play most nights for a couple of hours.

Anyone else feel the same way?
Been tried before for this game. More than once. But good luck with it.

PS - surprised you can run this game with 12MB of RAM. I struggled to play Jet Set Willy with that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Marta's Avatar
Marta Marta is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 98
Default

I have never been a clan member. Although I experienced numerous public games with teamplay developing on the fly in RO and RO2.

If there is a commander and the other people using voice coms intelligently team play happens.

Last edited by Marta; 04-26-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Zetsumei's Avatar
Zetsumei Zetsumei is online now
Rising Storm Team
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Falmouth UK
Posts: 12,256
Default

Whatever commitments are needed depend on the sort of clan you join. If you play together from time to time with some people you know you could already call that a clan.

The difference could perhaps be with competitive clans, teams that basically aim at truly becoming better at playing the game, in order to win against other teams. But even more competitive clans come in very casual forms.

Heck pretty much all competitive clans died out already, and a lot of the groups/clans left most likely focus more on public play.
__________________
Unless specifically stated otherwise, anything I say reflects only my personal opinion and not that of Rising Storm.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Ossius's Avatar
Ossius Ossius is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 723
Default

Omniconsumer I believe had something like this going on already.
__________________

The Hipster melted his barrel, because he fired the Machine Gun before it was cool.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2012, 11:47 AM
PermenentMarker PermenentMarker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal Quebec
Posts: 1,442
Default

I am all for the idea, however it still takes time and dedication from many people.

Iron Cresendo had a go at it but the dwelling population of RO2 didn't help that situation.


I think the best bet is for 1 person to have a teamspeak / Vent server posted on the forum with user and pass.

Everyone on teamspeak/vent is added as friends on steam so we see where and when who plays.

Be friendly, get to know each other.

Perhaps on boring work days make a thread and discuss strategies...




Very possible, it just has to be encouraged.


Basically, 2fgj should be more aggressive on this idea. It will solidify the bond between it's regulars.

(just my opinion on the matter)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-28-2012, 01:20 PM
mowskwoz mowskwoz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossius View Post
Omniconsumer I believe had something like this going on already.
Yes he does. 4F. (Thanks for the mention Oss )

I'm part of 4F which does pretty much what you're talking about Catalavos.

We've got something for just about every level of commitment. We regularly have friendly scrims with other clans or scrim ourselves, we get together at least 3 times a week (usually more than that) and we have members who just drop in when they feel like getting a game on. We offer focused training for those who want it, but it's not a necessity. Just as a heads up, we play Countdown and Territory.

Essentially there are few requirements to join. Just a desire for organized games with a high focus on teamwork and to agree to our Code of Conduct (pretty much agree to not be a total jerk). You don't have to make every single event to be a part of things.

While it's not required, having TeamSpeak 3 installed and a mic is a huge help when communicating, but we do use the in game VOIP as well when needed. (My computer is in close proximity to my wife's ears as well Cat, I won't always be talking )

We have servers in Texas and New York, a TeamSpeak 3 server and we're always looking for new people to join. If you're interested in joining up, just add MowSkwoz to your friends list in Steam. This goes for anybody who's interested in this.

(I will ask, if you do friend me for this, when you see me on let me know that's why you did.)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Nezzer's Avatar
Nezzer Nezzer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Porto Alegre, RS
Posts: 2,323
Default

My -=FFR=- clan is like that, a pub server clan without commitment, but we have a more 4fun approach. Some people here might have already seen me or my friends in DH using a bazooka against infantry, ramming a tank against an enemy's or firing panzerfausts from a moving motorcycle on Arad Real Forests. We usually play on tank servers in RO1/DH as AT infantry. In RO2 we play normally like all the others, just with teamwork on TS3. I've played with these guys for five years, and I don't think I could've had as much fun as I have in a normal serious clan or as a lonewolf.
__________________
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22825&dateline=131155  0301
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Catalavos's Avatar
Catalavos Catalavos is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowskwoz View Post
Yes he does. 4F. (Thanks for the mention Oss )

I'm part of 4F which does pretty much what you're talking about Catalavos.

We've got something for just about every level of commitment. We regularly have friendly scrims with other clans or scrim ourselves, we get together at least 3 times a week (usually more than that) and we have members who just drop in when they feel like getting a game on. We offer focused training for those who want it, but it's not a necessity. Just as a heads up, we play Countdown and Territory.

Essentially there are few requirements to join. Just a desire for organized games with a high focus on teamwork and to agree to our Code of Conduct (pretty much agree to not be a total jerk). You don't have to make every single event to be a part of things.

While it's not required, having TeamSpeak 3 installed and a mic is a huge help when communicating, but we do use the in game VOIP as well when needed. (My computer is in close proximity to my wife's ears as well Cat, I won't always be talking )

We have servers in Texas and New York, a TeamSpeak 3 server and we're always looking for new people to join. If you're interested in joining up, just add MowSkwoz to your friends list in Steam. This goes for anybody who's interested in this.

(I will ask, if you do friend me for this, when you see me on let me know that's why you did.)
I'm in. Sent you friend request on Steam.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Schnitzel15's Avatar
Schnitzel15 Schnitzel15 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 347
Default

The main reason why people are mature in clans is because they want to be a part of something good. And they must be mature to enter and to stay in a clan. Clan members are forced to be mature, that's not something you can do on public servers. People do whatever they want, because they don't have limitations, or a danger of being kicked (unless they do something really stupid, like TK). It is a good idea, but the only people who could do that, and are mature enough to do so, are the ones on these forums... with a few exceptions. I'm not saying that there are no mature people. But many of them don't even check these forums anyway.

>>From what I've learned in my previous clan is that discipline must be forced on, and be learned either the hard way or the easy way.<<

I would completely adore teamwork. There's nothing better than going with your squad mates, getting in cover and watching each other's backs, while nailing enemies coming from all directions... It's just an amazing feeling of being surrounded by friendly, mature faces back to back. It gives a true immersion of war, and no 'Classic' mode would be required. I actually had moments like this in RO2, but it's just too rare to satisfy. If we really did have a server such as you mentioned, and people would cooperate - RO2 would be the best WW2 game for me. Oh wait, it is! But it would be even better, it would be something it was always meant to be.

^^^^
Anyone agrees?
__________________

Last edited by Schnitzel15; 04-30-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Zetsumei's Avatar
Zetsumei Zetsumei is online now
Rising Storm Team
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Falmouth UK
Posts: 12,256
Default

I have a long experience in clanning, and dicipline does not have to be forced. All you require is that together you can form a team. There can be different goals for any team, but the goal generally will be achieved by playing together with a bunch of like minded individuals.
__________________
Unless specifically stated otherwise, anything I say reflects only my personal opinion and not that of Rising Storm.

Last edited by Zetsumei; 04-30-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Schnitzel15's Avatar
Schnitzel15 Schnitzel15 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 347
Default

Most of the time when people are like minded, discipline isn't forced on, I agree. But when a clan is putting lots of effort into getting new people, they force them to play the same way the clan does. If anyone likes the way a clan plays, he's welcomed, if not - rejected.

My previous clan worked this way. And even though many players we're not welcomed, because of their different behaviour than ours, we had the cooperation that we desired.

It was a SWAT4 clan, not sure if you know the game, but it worked. And it could work now in RO2, but no clan is willing to do this, beacuase they would lose a lot of players.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Turbolover Turbolover is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 63
Default

Correct me if wrong; but didnt RO1 had this TeamTanker thing? People would add a 'TT' tag on their name, so other people would see and know that you're a Team Tanker (having actually multiple players in your tank instead of solo'ing it)

This idea could perhaps work for RO2 - not just tanks, but gameplay in general, on any public server. Maybe 'TP', TeamPlayer? And it doesn't have to be a clan on itself. Just an extra tag people can add to their name.

RO2 got a solid ViOP system to work with. Imagine you're hiding in a building because you're getting hit by arty or a sniper as spotted you, and a TP-guy walk in your room. You think; hey, this is a guy I can actually work it, and not just another random rambo running around.
__________________
loving at the speed of very fast!!!!@#@

Last edited by Turbolover; 04-30-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-30-2012, 03:24 PM
jackrabbitslim7 jackrabbitslim7 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 69
Default

I voted dumb but I didn't read the poll.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Catalavos's Avatar
Catalavos Catalavos is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbitslim7 View Post
I voted dumb but I didn't read the poll.
Solid.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2014, Tripwire Interactive, LLC