• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

//- Sight's feedback pack -\\

Sight

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2006
Dear community, dear Tripwire Interactive developers,

i wrote these suggestions in the "Dynamic muzzle flashes + Suggestion" thread aswell but realised there are very few people who check an old thread they already read as they don't expect it to be updated, so i decided to make a new thread as i added a lot of new content compared to the orgininal,unendited thread.

I hope my suggestions are an inspiration for Your team.

EDIT: As i will update this thread from time to time with new ideas flowing through my mind, i will make everything that is edited or added in this colour

Here are my suggestions:

Cover system/Leaning :I saw a little bit of Your new first person cover system, the idea is really good.

1: However i am afraid that the character model isn't really leaning around the corner and is very easy to get hit,simular to a 3rd person shooter with a cover system, using the cover system isn't really useful except the fact one can pop out fast and be back to cover fast but the size of beeing exposed and silhouette visible to the enemy
isn't changing much.

In Red Orchestra Ostfront a good player can use leaning nicely without exposing much of his playermodel.In my opinion this is a key to portray realistic CQB's.When it comes to the cover system, make it more accesiable, give it more features (like blindfiring) but keep the exposing factor low so the actual cover is reallly covering most of the playermodel and cover is vital to use.

Another very important part about using cover effectivly is the possibilty to "snap" around corners by just hitting the lean button very shorly.This is especially impportant for the attacking fraction as by this one can snapshoot around a corner/door make a quick kill to clear a corridor/area without exposing much and be back in cover.

I am afraid that the new cover system makes leaning and snapping around corners too static and slow and especially exposing too much of the player model.I hope cover system is dynamic so one can have great shoot outs from corner to corner, snapping out and directly getting back to cover and not exposing much.

2: Make it possible to "blind-fire" grenades when beeing in cover.This could be used if one is beneath a window or to the side of a window/door and one doesn't have to expose the whole body, instead one just "blind-throws" the grenade into the room and only the hand gets exposed during the throw."Blind-throwing" grenades should have some random factor in it when it comes to direction and distance of the throw, so one can't learn how to lob grenades perfectly into positions that are critical every single time.

3: Make it possible to shoot weapons and grenades out of the hand during "blind-firing" and "blind throwing".

4: Make it possible to do a quick head check even while beeing prone so one can e.g. look over a small cover without having to "crawl onto it" or using crouch, simular to the head check wheen using the cover system.

5: Make it possible to change heigts with the mousewheel or two buttons.Scrolling mousewheel upwards is used to straighten up, mousewheel down is used to bend your knees more.This could also be used in an "alias" combination, e.g.: when using mousewheel without pressing and holding a key the mousewheel is used to change weapons, when pressing and holding the "dynamic posture button" the mousewheel is used to change heights.

By this it is possible to "snap" around corners in different heights not just two (standing and crouching) adding more variety between standing and crouching making it harder for the defending fraction to guess in which height the enemy will appear or walk around.Another advantage of this is that one can indiviudally adjust heights in covers which are not perfectly suited for the cover system.

6: Make it possible to do a fast head-check when using the cover system at a door, so one can quickly peek into the room with just exposing the head to check the situation.

All this pushes the freedom of the player, gives the attacking force more variety and possibiltys to advance and inspect the situation and makes the gaming experience more realistic.

Especially the movement/covering system part is where Your team has an incredible chance to set itself apart from other shooters and make a revolutionary impact in the 3rd person genre.

7: A key element missing with a cover system is leaning on an open terrain using cover in a passive, indirect way.What i mean by this is that when You are standing e.g. in the middle of the street and You want to lean around a corner fiew wise, but you are not standing directly at the corner You can't use the cover "indirectly" on the open, one has to stand directly at the street corner and one is forced to use the cover system. What this means is that there is a need to lean manually without the cover system otherwise one has an improvement with blind-firing options etc. but a step backwards when it comes to movement and using cover.

Movement Suggestions:

1: It would be very nice if it would take some time to accelarate and it takes a short amount of time to get to full speed when using sprinting.

This simulates the mass of the playermodel.By this overall presentation and battlefield experience gets more realistic because playermodels aren't immedialty switching from normal walking speed to fullspeed.You already did a great job with the delay between strafing left and right and vice versa to simulate the shift of mass when making a direction change in the complete opposite direction one moved before.

2: When sprinting reduce the mouse sensitivy/ turnspeed so it is impossible to wave the mouse to the left and right and make abrupt direction changes.This exploit gets used a lot when beeing under fire to get to the next cover but also to "fake" coming around a corner and then immeadialy make a 180 degree turn and be back in cover again.

Brothers in Arms Hells Highway uses the Unreal Engine 3 and has this feature(reduced turnspeed while springting).It is very helpfull to make the battlefield experience more realistic as playermodels aren't "beaming" aroud because of these insanly fast direction changes.In the Gears of War series (also Unreal 3) this design decision was also made and sprinting can't get unrealistically exploited in the ways just described.

3: At the moment one can sprint, hip-fire and aim down the sights.Another option would be neat for realism and gameplay.An option with wich one actually has the gun shouldered but one is not looking down the sights.In this mode walking around is faster than aiming down the sight yet slower than at hip level.

There are several ways of fine-tuning this for good gameplay.One could make walking at hip-level faster in general so there is a more noticeeable difference between walking around with the gun at hip-level and having the gun shouldered but not looking down the sights.

This way of walking around is a good addition as walking around with a gun at hip level is mostly used when beeing on patrol or in a non-combat situation or during sprinting.In a situation where ones is expecting enemy contact within the next few seconds, guns get shouldered so one has less time to line-up the sights and one can shoot depending on muzzle memory(knowing wher one shoots without using sights in CQB).

The sight picture in this mode would look simular to a bolt action rifle in RO:OST that has just been shot and needs to get bolted with a second mouse click but with the sights more forward,straighter and to the bottom right.

To make this mode easy to use and intutiv i suggest the following: When just clicking aiming down the sights with a short mouse click one gets into the new mode in which the gun gets shouldered without looking down the sights.When holding down the aiming down the sights key one uses the classic aiming down the sights mode.To go back to to shouldered mode one releases the aiming down the sights key.To go back to hip hip-level one shorty clicks aiming down the sights in shouldered mode.

Free-aim effects are reduce in this mode so the player can estimate where the shots will go easier without aiming down the sights.By this one has more overview in CQB's as the gun is more to the bottom right yet it is not precise enough to pull of long range shots with it.

Free-aiming on the other hand should be more random and harder to predict.In RO:OST advanced players and espeically in competitive play, good players are really precise with hip-shooting bolt action rifles because there is not enough random factor in it.

4: It would be cool if it is impossible to sprint on stairs with normal speed, walk with normal speed, nor walking backwards on stairs with normal speed.GTA 4 does a nice job in simulating walking/sprinting on stairs.

Human player under supression fire:

More sway and shakeing of the weapon while beeing under fire to simulate the fear of supression fire for a human player in order to make him less effective.

It should be intense and believable so shooting gets more difficult and skillfull while beeing under heavy fire => more sway and shakeing of your weapon/irnonsight while beeing supressed.

Heavy weapons made for supression(e.g. machine guns) make the sway heavier than e.g. pistols.

The closer the shots whizzle past you the more sway.So there is a difference between good and bad supression and the quality of supression fire a machine gunner provides.

=>An enemy or player that shoots very close to you makes the sway of your ironsight stronger.

Shots that pass your head really close makes your hands twitch and jerk so your weapon/ironsights get off point for a short moment.E.G. well placed rifle shots that whizzle past your head.

If you just got supressed and the enemy has to reload you should need some time e.g. 3 to 10 seconds to calm down and get a steady aim again according to the time and quality you got supressed.

In my opinion the blurriness/ turning the screen black for a very short moment as it is in RO:OS at the moment should be still used at it nicely simulates the natural reflex to blink and nictate when a shot is whizzeleing past You very closely.

When using an object to "bipod" a weapon the sway factor gets removed, all other methods to simulate supressing fire are still in use.

2. Instead of giving guns random recoils as it is now it could be possible to have recoil related to how heavily one is supressed.At the moment e.g. a PPSH-41 does not have the same recoil every time, there are recoil patterns randomly selected.This is of course not realistic as guns do behave in a simular manner recoil wise.In my opinion relating recoil to how heavy one is supressed makes more sense and gives supressing fire another variety.

Teamplay with friends:

I would love to see a feature with which one can identifiy friends easier.An in-game option where You can add, temporary or permanently, a friend icon/different name colour over the head of player models.I am thinking about a system simular to the voice-chat option in RO:OS where one can mute certain players, but in this case You add them as a battle partner and your friends get an icon/different colour of their names.

EDIT: Only when scanning a friendly player and one is in reach the name appears but then in a different colour.So everything stays as it is now but when scanning through the names You don't have to read them all, just follow the different colour, so one knows that this is a friend/somebody from your squad.

By this it is easier to identify Your friends e.g. after a respawn in countdown or in any other crowded place where a lot of friendly soldiers are, so one can team-up without having to scan every playermodel and watch the names.

This could be further enhanced for competitive players where groups of player built up a squad and have one certain job to do together.This group could then form a squad with a certain icon/or colour so they know where everyone is easier and can team-up easier.

If using icons/colours the squad leader could assign objects or positions to formed squads on the overview map.

Having these set objects appear on the smart screen when checking objects would be heplful and even more user friendly.

A short reminder to check the map as soon one gets assigned an object would be helpful aswell.

Damage to weapons/barrels:

Make it possible to destroy barrels.E.G. a barrel that is sticking out of a window but one can't see the sniper holding it.With a well placed shot the weapon gets shot out of his hand and destroyed.At the moment this just happens when shooting into the hand, not the weapon.

Time to shoulder a weapon:

Different times to shoulder weapons from a hip-level depending on the weight and length of the weapon.E.G. a Pistol or short smg is faster to shoulder and line-up than a rifle.

Keep up the good work.Your work is very special, your products are always legendary and have a unique high quality.

Yours sincerly,

Max

Last edited:
Here's a little ProTip... People are naturally inclined to fear two things in forums
1) Big blocks of unbroken text
2) Incredibly long posts

If you want more people to participate in your thread, make it short and sweet. Not trying to slight you in any way, just telling it how it is

Upvote 0
I am really excited about RO:HoS and had a lot of ideas, this is why the thread is so long

Maybe You can read one paragraph per day and work Your way slowly through this thread ^^

@Nezzer: Only when scanning a friendly player and one is in reach the name appears but then in a different colour.So everything stays as it is now but when scanning through the names You don't have to read them all, just follow the different colour to know You follow a friend.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How about instead of one big suggestion thread, do what I do, make different thread about different topics, even if they are close in topic, but enough to create a new thread, keeps it small, and people will see different section they can just read once, instead of being thrown off by all these topics, and adding a poll wouldn't hurt. ;)
I couldn't read it all because of laziness, but quite a bit of it seems like a good idea, but quite complicated and would result in a shaggy game, plus the fact that you have to add more buttons, trying to figure out which button works best for everything.

Upvote 0