Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS General > Ideas and Suggestions

Old 04-24-2012, 05:22 PM

Default [Classic+Realism] Drop Ammo on Death

I have a microscopic nitpick that doesn't deserve any attention while the TWI team are preparing for the free weekend & content updates, but it's a suggestion nonetheless:

One thing I enjoyed about Ostfront was how you were required to pick up the ammo pouches seperately from the weapon. It made retrieving a dropped weapon more time-consuming and riskier, so it wasn't something you could just do in the heat of a battle. I think it would be a cool thing to have in RO2's realism and classic modes as well. Definitely something to keep out of the streamlined action mode.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
I have a microscopic nitpick that doesn't deserve any attention while the TWI team are preparing for the free weekend & content updates, but it's a suggestion nonetheless:

One thing I enjoyed about Ostfront was how you were required to pick up the ammo pouches seperately from the weapon. It made retrieving a dropped weapon more time-consuming and riskier, so it wasn't something you could just do in the heat of a battle. I think it would be a cool thing to have in RO2's realism and classic modes as well. Definitely something to keep out of the streamlined action mode.
Even though RO Classic is supposed to be as close to RO1 as possible I don't think taking putting in the ammo pouches would make it any better, sure it'll be like RO1, but I just don't think it's a good idea rolling back on an already fine system of ammo/gun grabbing.

I wouldn't mind it to to much though.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:52 PM

This would definitely necessitate some sort of pick-up menu.

Classic forever.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 PM

There were pickup menus in some early videos. I'd be all right with looting the weapon from the ground and the ammo / grenades from the body.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:23 AM

It would be cool with a simple animation (with the player bending down on his knees) picking up the weapon and the ammo. That's just me dreaming though because I doubt its its a high priority.

However, when you kill an enemy soldier you should be required to pick up his ammo pouches separately from the weapon as OP stated. Because it's more realistic. That is an argument enough. Because ammo pouches aren't magically stored inside the weapon. So it makes less sense not to have to pick it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Penguin View Post
I would rather blowtorch my nipples off than play Action Mode.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 AM

But it's not realistic either to have the ammo pouches fly away from the character that died. For realism's sake, you'd have to search the character's corpse for the ammo, and pick the gun up off the ground. One issue with this, the corpses would need to be server side so everyone has the same availability to pick up the ammo, putting moar stress on the servers. Now that's just for the most realistic option, I could cope with picking up the ammo pouches that have fallen to the ground separately, but may I make another suggestion.

How about, you pick up a gun from the ground, and it only contains the bullets that are held in the magazine / drum / clip and nothing else, no reloads or anything unless you already have a weapon using the same ammo; making the player go to a re-supply point to retrieve more ammo, or looting from other dropped weapons of the same type.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:13 AM

I think all you need is the same system as RO2, but add a simple animation similar to bandaging that forces you to crouch and retreive the "ammo" without having to add in flying ammo pouches and all that silliness. More realistic in one way, but without the silly drawbacks. I for one don't care that I'm looking at a gun and not a corpse or an ammo pouch (suspension of disbelief), but it is more of a gameplay impact for the acquisition to be instantaneous.

Last edited by MarioBava; 04-25-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:50 AM

Metro 2033 had a nice ammo/equipment pickup system, where you piked up ammo from the dead bodies.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:03 PM

Well considering I still have nightmares about picking up each individual magazine in RO which is the most realistic way of doing it, I would say no.

Maybe like bandaging add a couple of seconds to the time it takes to pick up a weapon would be a good compromise
Old 04-26-2012, 08:51 AM

I was glad when RO2 dropped that whole dropped/pickup rifle and ammo...i thought it was clunky in RO1 with absolutely no addition to game play other than get you killed.....of course if that was the point, then it succeeded.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:59 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing a brief 'rummaging' animation to go with weapon pickups.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:42 PM

I hated the way this was implented into RO:Ost I get my gun shot out of my hand and magically my ammo flies away. I woudn't mind if it was implented properly.
Like when you pick up the weapon, it still has the rounds in it's magazine. So when you shoot a russian, you pick up his PPSh and you have the amount of ammo he had in his magazine before you shot him and you have to pick up the pouchesto get the rest of the mags.

♫Когда поют солдаты - Спокойно дети спят♫
Old 04-27-2012, 07:49 PM

I've supported ammo patches since I started playing Ost in 08-09ish... and have verbally stated my opinion since July 2011. Would be a really cool feature (no other games really have) and increase immersion.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:42 AM

Absolutely agree with this. Add the risk back into grabbing an enemy weapon, make them find the ammo too!