• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

grenade nerfage aka more realistic grenade throwing

Schreq

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
.de
This suggestion has been made before but since it's only in the ostfront forums, I will start another thread for hos.

The problem with grenades, especially on a higher competitive level and not so much on public servers, is that they are way too strong due to the ability of people to easily master the fuse time.
Most of the time it's easier to just "nade" an enemy instead of shooting him, because a perfectly timed air burst grenade will do the job much better. When the ranges aren't too long, grenades easily become the best/strongest weapon of the game and that really pisses many people off.

I think it's also quite unrealistic to cook the grenades that hard. They are not some china crackers you toy around with. You want them out of your hands as quick as possible! Due to the constant fuse time though, people are not scared of grenades.

The solution would be a random fuse time. Something like +/- 0.7 or even 1 second would make it much better already and people would throw them away much earlier, when they don't want to blow up them self. Whether a fuse time variation of +/- 1 second is realistic or not, it's at least more realistic than seeing people cooking the grenades that hard all the time.

What do you guys think?

what about when you try to throw far, and the grenade explodes midair before reaching its target?

wouldn't it be just more simpler to disable cooking althogether?
and didn't the devs state somewhere that the grenades are allot more powerful now, and that you can easily be blasted yourself in close combat? Might be incorrect though.

Upvote 0
It's not "luck based", it's realism based. It's like shooting shotgun - the pellets make random pattern and nobody complains because that's just how it happens.
And it doesn't take away any skill, it just won't be possible to throw perfectly cooked nade every damn time like some RO veterans are doing right now.
Dud nades on the other hand are a bad idea, same with dud bullets and f.e. weapons exploding in your face because of faulty parts.

Upvote 0
I would rather lower the amount of nades in competition instead of intruducing more luck based stuff.

That wont FIX the issue though, it would only make it slightly better.

Edit:
It's not "luck based", it's realism based. It's like shooting shotgun - the pellets make random pattern and nobody complains because that's just how it happens.
And it doesn't take away any skill, it just won't be possible to throw perfectly cooked nade every damn time like some RO veterans are doing right now.
Dud nades on the other hand are a bad idea, same with dud bullets and f.e. weapons exploding in your face because of faulty parts.
Snuffel is right, randomness and competitive playing shouldn't be combined. Imo in this case the profit, by fixing homing air burst grenades, is out-weighting the problems which come along with randomness in the fuse time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not "luck based", it's realism based. ...
It can be both, and probably is (I don't know enoguh about reality to say).

... And it doesn't take away any skill...
That is not the issue, the issue is bringing in more "randomness" into it all.

That wont FIX the issue though, it would only make it slightly better.
Then it is at least a part of the solution =).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not factually correct, if every soldier was always carrying 1-2 grenades, then they would be one of the most effective weapons in such tight urban quarters. But since you can die, and get another 1-2 grenades, it's effectively an unlimited supply.

The thing is though, in a lot of these battles not every soldier would have grenades, since he probably would have used his earlier in some other skirmish. The reason you'd have squads of opposing troops hiding in rooms across from each other is because nobody has any grenades, if they did Im sure the infamous indoor stalemates would not have been so common.

If there were inventory customization (when you pick your class) each team could have a limited number of grenades, and everybody could nab them at the start of the round, so some people are left without.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not factually correct, if every soldier was always carrying 1-2 grenades, then they would be one of the most effective weapons in such tight urban quarters. But since you can die, and get another 1-2 grenades, it's effectively an unlimited supply.

The thing is though, in a lot of these battles not every soldier would have grenades, since he probably would have used his earlier in some other skirmish. The reason you'd have squads of opposing troops hiding in rooms across from each other is because nobody has any grenades, if they did Im sure the infamous indoor stalemates would not have been so common.

If there were inventory customization (when you pick your class) each team could have a limited number of grenades, and everybody could nab them at the start of the round, so some people are left without.

True. It would be nice if there was a somewhat fair and equitable way to distribute the grenades throughout a map round so everyone (in a class that carried them...) got a chance to carry a few grenades without there being too much nade spam.

Upvote 0
I really can't see how this is a problem for Tripwire to solve.
The OP mentions his perceived problems in 'competitive gaming' when players can use cooked hand grenades and that is a problem for the competitive community to solve with ROE's and not a job for the game developers.
Make a mutator removing the option for cooking and problem is solved - I personally don't want the option of cooking a grenade removed just because 'competitive players', whatever that is, is having problems with certain game features.

And one thing the OP forgets is that the german handgrenades automatically was cooked when the cord to the fuse was pulled and that it would be unrealistic for those to function as the standard F1 or pineapple grenade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schreq
Upvote 0
I really can't see how this is a problem for Tripwire to solve.
The OP mentions his perceived problems in 'competitive gaming' when players can use cooked hand grenades and that is a problem for the competitive community to solve with ROE's and not a job for the game developers.
Make a mutator removing the option for cooking and problem is solved - I personally don't want the option of cooking a grenade removed just because 'competitive players', whatever that is, is having problems with certain game features.

And one thing the OP forgets is that the german handgrenades automatically was cooked when the cord to the fuse was pulled and that it would be unrealistic for those to function as the standard F1 or pineapple grenade.

Since you totally failed to understand my suggestion, I wont respond to anything from your post.
Jeez, did that guy even read my post? oO

Upvote 0
Since you totally failed to understand my suggestion, I wont respond to anything from your post.
Jeez, did that guy even read my post? oO
What in the name of the holy :IS2: is wrong with you?
The only major problem with grenades in RO is that players have tossed thousands of them in their games which is contrary to real the life ww2 soldiers and thus have gained the experience to know how and when to throw a cooked grenade in the game. You want to comepensate for players experience in timing grenades by using an artificial arbitrary fuse time so players can not use their experience and why? So they have to shoot their enemy instead of using grenades... Soldiers use what works the best in order to kill and destroy the enemy and if grenades are the best choice in certain situations they use them instead of risking their lives by taking a shot which might or might not kill the enemy.

The problem you describe is a not problem for normal RO players but a problem for a niche group of players and as such it should be dealt with by that l33t group of players and not by Tripwire who have more than just competitive players as their costumers.

Reactions: Dr. Pierre Chang
Upvote 0

Give each player their own supply of grenades per round. They choose when to use them from the class menu. Once they're used or dropped after death, that's it. This would make grenade usage a critical decision instead of mindlessly tossing them at choke points.

The 2 biggest problems in RO now is random grenades and grenades being used as primary weapons.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoxNoctum
Upvote 0
you can't say that grenades are the 2 top problems in Ro. that's only for you personally. some people would find the tank combat flawed, others can't handle the MG42.

if it really is such a big problem, just remove cooking with a mutator. press attack, you toss it. no holding, no cooking, no perfectly timed unavoidable grenades.

there. "problem" fixed

Upvote 0
What in the name of the holy :IS2: is wrong with you?
What is wrong with me is that you didn't read my post. I mean how else could you think I want cooking removed all together? But it's ok, it seems you finally understood my suggestion... partially :)

The problem you describe is a not problem for normal RO players but a problem for a niche group of players and as such it should be dealt with by that l33t group of players and not by Tripwire who have more than just competitive players as their costumers.
That statement alone disqualifies you for me, from being worth to further argue with.

Upvote 0