Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS General > Ideas and Suggestions

Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM

Default capzone randomizer?

This is a long shot, and I fully admit that I have neither the skill nor time to make this happen, but i thought I'd throw it out there for some flaming etc..

The problem:
Once you've learned the maps they can become a little tedious. And certain maps almost always pan out the same way. for example, the first round of apartments almost always goes to the Russians. A quick spawn, take A and B caps then rush C, and D and it's all over in 4 minutes.

Solution?
Just throwing this out there.... but I wonder if it might be possible to come up with some kind of mutator that randomised the cap-zone order, or their locations - within some constraints of course. So, for example, you might not know until the map starts which of the first few caps needs to fall first.. or exactly where the first capzone is (maybe it moves around the map by 20m or so?)

Might such a mutator be possible even?
would spawn points also need to respond to the map randomisations?
Are there some maps where this might work, and not others?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:29 AM

This would be so AWESOME!
It would make playing these same maps for another few months so much better until the darn redirect is fixed.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:38 AM

As long as its just a mutator and only for the non-historic battles.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post
As long as its just a mutator and only for the non-historic battles.
Like I said , server choice is the key.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 PM

Interesting option. It would cause all kind of balance problems, since on most maps at least some thought has gone into the positioning of cap zones and spawn points, but I do agree that as an option it may be something that could create some kind of novelty in vanilla mode.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudenrath View Post
Interesting option. It would cause all kind of balance problems, since on most maps at least some thought has gone into the positioning of cap zones and spawn points, but I do agree that as an option it may be something that could create some kind of novelty in vanilla mode.
Yeah I think balance might be a big problem too.
I think putting some kind of constraints on the randomizer might help a bit,.
i.e. no more than 1 capzone can shift its order, and then only by one place, Or capzones may only shift by a maximum of 20m or something like that....

Once again, the parameters for variation would take some thought and some testing, but I guess if things were never truly the same every time, then the mis-balance (is that a word?) would itself, balance out over time.... (sometimes favoring one side, sometimes the other).... but you would never really know, until the map was underway, who had the natural advantage, if there was one.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:12 PM

Personally... screw balance, Id rather throw myself at an unattainable point on apartments for 30 minutes than win in 4.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannabysmal View Post
Personally... screw balance, Id rather throw myself at an unattainable point on apartments for 30 minutes than win in 4.

I absolutly agree with this guy!!!
How many battles in WW2 were balanced? REALLY... none... maybe one the real Arad...
Old 04-13-2012, 08:18 PM

Balance is INCREDIBLY boring.

The game should have come out with random CPs, and if done intelligently, random CPs can work on historic maps too.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:12 AM

My favourite map from RoOst is Kurland Kessel, because of the balance (or lack thereof). The map is so hard for the attackers, the rare satisfaction of breaking through is amazing!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:48 AM

My favorite map from RO1 is Leningrad. The allies had such a hard time defending yet it could be done if defenses were set up quickly. Hell that map was even fun to lose on. (well as allies at least)
Old 04-16-2012, 06:00 AM
Break Blocks Team

This thread reminds me of the time where TWI was talking about how the maps would adjust themselves to the playercount of the server... oh the good old days....

*stares at the cornfield*
Old 04-16-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
This thread reminds me of the time where TWI was talking about how the maps would adjust themselves to the playercount of the server...
Hmm, I don't recall every hearing about that.

Surely this kind of map flexibility could really help the game. I love the feeling of entering a new map for the first few times, not knowing yet where the defenders are likely to be hiding, and still figuring out approach paths etc,.

It'd be nice if there was just a little randomization in the maps to give even the well-played maps some of this variation.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:56 PM

They do change according to the max player count.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:33 PM

An objective zone mutator could get tricky, but it's entirely possible. I might wind up making it, if the game ever gets stable enough to be worth trying to do mod work with it.

The first two Rainbow Six games had a great tech design where the team spawns & objectives were defined in a simple text file, so it was a snap to change. You could radically alter how a map played simply by making the fighting take place in different areas or different directions. My goal would be to replicate that, because the RO system, where it's cooked into the map file, is awfully limited.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekhazzio View Post
An objective zone mutator could get tricky, but it's entirely possible. I might wind up making it, if the game ever gets stable enough to be worth trying to do mod work with it.

The first two Rainbow Six games had a great tech design where the team spawns & objectives were defined in a simple text file, so it was a snap to change. You could radically alter how a map played simply by making the fighting take place in different areas or different directions. My goal would be to replicate that, because the RO system, where it's cooked into the map file, is awfully limited.
Please consider making this. It could potentially be the biggest improvement to the game right after clientside hit detection. You deserve to be paid.