Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS General > Ideas and Suggestions

Old 04-14-2012, 08:48 AM

Default Hide character's name?

My proposition is to get rid of the soldier's name which is displayed over the head constantly, and display it only when the player pushes a button (this command could be linked to "Tactial view" button).

This is to increase the authenticity of the game, by reducing the unnecessary HUD.

Until this happens... does anyone know how to delete the names manually? Through tweaking the ini files maybe?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3bel View Post
My proposition is to get rid of the soldier's name which is displayed over the head constantly, and display it only when the player pushes a button (this command could be linked to "Tactial view" button).

This is to increase the authenticity of the game, by reducing the unnecessary HUD.

Until this happens... does anyone know how to delete the names manually? Through tweaking the ini files maybe?
Not sure if there are client side settings for this. Maybe "showhud" in the console? There are server side settings for this though. It depends on the realism setting on the particular server and how the admins have chosen to set it up.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:06 PM

I like it! Its a classic mode must!

Playing HOS as "Lizard-King"
Old 04-14-2012, 08:02 PM
Rising Storm Team

I think it should be optional, and available for all modes. It personally simply ruins my immersion and blocks my view.

If someone enjoys playing with the names floating above all names, I don't see why not to let him have his fun. ^^
Old 04-14-2012, 08:55 PM

I like how they do it in Source engine games, where the name of the person you look at comes up in the HUD small and in a corner. I think this would fit well in the tactical view.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsumei View Post
I think it should be optional, and available for all modes. It personally simply ruins my immersion and blocks my view.

If someone enjoys playing with the names floating above all names, I don't see why not to let him have his fun. ^^
Agreed. You should be able to toggle it on and off as a game option.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post
I like how they do it in Source engine games, where the name of the person you look at comes up in the HUD small and in a corner. I think this would fit well in the tactical view.
Yeah, the Source method would be perfect. It's a little backwards. This kind of behavior is a little jarring in the general fast pace of most Source games where always-on floating would often be more useful, but it would fit perfectly in RO.

...and bump the range up, while we're at it. When I'm trying to ID someone, I shouldn't have to get close enough to grope them before I can tell if they're my buddy/squaddie/etc.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:54 AM

It's always so embarrassing when you go the grope and it turns out it's some complete stranger from another platoon