Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS General > Ideas and Suggestions

Old 03-05-2012, 04:29 PM

Default Coop Banzai Mode

Just a thought..maybe for a future add on or mod or whatever I think it would be kinda fun to maybe have a 5 or 6 player coop mode where you and your buddies are in fox holes and have to defend a hill or HQ against successive banzi charges by japanese ai. Kinda like Nazi Zombies where one round starts off with a handful of banzai chargers, and then the next round has more, and maybe the rounds after that have tanks and armor attacking your position. Night rounds would be really cool, maybe have some where you got to defend against infiltrators or have like all of a sudden a star shell go off light everything up and you have dozens of IJA charging at you and your freinds shouting and fireing. anyways food for thought.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:23 AM

Can we please officially start saying "co-op"? Coop is just as bad as "noone" for no one.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:33 AM
Anti-Matter Games

Thanks for clearing that up, Co-opsta
Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 AM

Old 03-06-2012, 08:34 PM

but in all seriousness...it would be awesome. maybe have an HQ tent you can have to run to to get machine gun ammo and supplies while under fire as your friends try to hold off wave after wave of advancing enemy. Mortar pits, maybe barb wire that can be breached, fall back lines of defense. The best example of this and probably the most awesome representation of a Banzai attack in a game I think is the Bloody Ridge level in Medal of Honor Pacific Assault:

MOH: PA Bloody Ridge Part 1 - YouTube

Anyways I think that would be awesome...plus I guess it really wouldn't be too much extra to code ai that spawns and aggressively charges at a position and either shoots or melee attack en mass would it?

Last edited by m1rock69; 03-06-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1rock69 View Post
Learn the difference between spelling and grammar.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopsta View Post
Learn the difference between spelling and grammar.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:15 AM
Anti-Matter Games

Enough fighting.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:24 AM

Dammit guise!

There's more to Japanese tactics than just endless Banzai charges!!!
Most of the time they only really done it when they were cornered and/or out of ammo!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Anti-Matter Games

We are going to be adding features which are the polar opposite of the last-ditch charge which is taken to epitomise Japanese fighting...

...sneaky features
Old 03-08-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor Makhno View Post
We are going to be adding features which are the polar opposite of the last-ditch charge which is taken to epitomise Japanese fighting...

...sneaky features
That sounds awesome! This is what makes a realistic game; realistic gameplay. I can imagine what thease features are, not in a concrete manner but that post really gave me that special gritty feeling!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor Makhno View Post

...sneaky features
That sounds awesome! But thats kinda like what I was referring to in regards to the idea of making an interesting coop mode. Breaking up some high action Banzai missions with ones where your marines are holding a position at night against infiltrators or something. Even though I understand that this is mostly a player vs player game I was kinda thinking perhaps a coop defense mode against a mass attack would be a fun add on that does not require much in the way of complex AI programming and still be somewhat historically accurate and challenging and make the idea bots not seem so much like..well the usual brain dead mp bots the infest some servers. A good way to play if its only you and a couple buddies on a server. Thats why I brought up the infamous banzai charge. I know there was allot more the Japanese military tactics then just that. Anyways, Im excited to see what sneaky features you have cookn!

Last edited by m1rock69; 04-06-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:42 PM

Go in the editor. Make a single hill with a foxhole and an ammo box, figure out how to make everyone spawn with no ammo, put the bots one Capzone on said foxhole, prosper. =p
Old 04-09-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannabysmal View Post
Go in the editor. Make a single hill with a foxhole and an ammo box, figure out how to make everyone spawn with no ammo, put the bots one Capzone on said foxhole, prosper. =p
Id give them ammo. Id just have to figure out how to get them to charge the objective and attack using shooting and melee.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 AM

How about the reverse so that you and your friends with bot friendlies could participate in a banzai charge at some Americans in foxholes? :P -stabby stab stab-
Old 04-13-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrik View Post
How about the reverse so that you and your friends with bot friendlies could participate in a banzai charge at some Americans in foxholes? :P -stabby stab stab-
Hell that would be cool. Have both options.
Also id have the bodies not disappear so they like piled up in between rounds then you gotta go clear your line of sight like John Basilone had to. And Japanese only get Arisaka, Nambu pistols and shin guntō for the charge. Maybe a few lunge mines and sharpened sticks here and there.

Last edited by m1rock69; 04-13-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:27 AM

While a banzai coop mode is a bit ridiculous for a game like RS (IMO), I will say that some of the most fun I've ever had in gaming is playing a survival mode in the game Vietcong. I don't remember the gamemode name or the map name, but you and up to 3 other friends started at the top of a fortified hill, and fended off waves of NPC Vietcong. The enemies didn't do bayonet charges, and actually used their weapons and grenades, but they weren't great shots. Each wave would get tougher and tougher, with more enemies.

Since I have such fond memories of that game and gamemode, adding something similar to RS wouldn't put me off at all. Historically accurate or not, very few people wouldn't enjoy fighting tooth and nail against an onslaught of banzai charges.

That being said, I would definitely rather have the devs working on making better/more multiplayer content and maps rather than something of this nature.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Anti-Matter Games

A big problem with this game mode is that, although bot AI has improved lots since RO:Ost, they still are quite dumb in several respects.

I remember that VC level you describe quite vividly.. it was a helluva challenge in SP and Co-op mode.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:51 AM

Just watched a documentary on the Marines and Army at the Chosin Reservoir in North Korea. D:> I was reminded of this topic. Horrible, horrible stuff. For both sides.

Nestor makes a valid point. You're going to have some rage-worthy AI to fight in this sort of mode. Not the good kind of rage-worth either.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
While a banzai coop mode is a bit ridiculous for a game like RS (IMO), I will say that some of the most fun I've ever had in gaming is playing a survival mode in the game Vietcong. I don't remember the gamemode name or the map name, but you and up to 3 other friends started at the top of a fortified hill, and fended off waves of NPC Vietcong. The enemies didn't do bayonet charges, and actually used their weapons and grenades, but they weren't great shots. Each wave would get tougher and tougher, with more enemies.

Since I have such fond memories of that game and gamemode, adding something similar to RS wouldn't put me off at all. Historically accurate or not, very few people wouldn't enjoy fighting tooth and nail against an onslaught of banzai charges.

That being said, I would definitely rather have the devs working on making better/more multiplayer content and maps rather than something of this nature.
I remember that as well. Historically accurate, is depending on what is being represented. The Battle of Alligator Creek, The all night long massive banzai charge on Saipan in July '44 As well as the drunken one on Guam, the last ditch one on Iwo Jima after the Marines turned in their weapons and the final stand on Eniwetok for example. These all did happen and they happened on a fairly regular basis. And they pretty much consisted of what you might imagine a banzai charge to be. Dont see how they would be any less historically accurate then any other part of the game. Base the missions off these battles and they would be historically accurate. Anyways, I agree I guess. Although I think coop like this would be great fun I understand pvp mp is first and foremost

Last edited by m1rock69; 04-15-2012 at 05:27 AM.