• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mod that alters max zed count?

xebo

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
Max zed count: How many zeds can be spawned at any one time

Would be cool if HoE (or some future difficulty/mod) increased the max zed count depending on the wave. Anyone else like this? Is there a mod that accomplishes this currently, or can this be changed (depending on the wave) server side currently?

Last edited:
Think you might need to re-explain that one there mate, because the wave counter already increases in size for every wave you complete... try it in solo and check at the start of each round.

I think he means how many can be spawned at once, not what the total zed count is. To be honest, I understand the whole performance side, but I also love higher zed counts:D

There's a variable called MaxZombiesOnce that controls the active specimen count. I don't remember which class it belongs to though, and I'm pretty sure it's only used in Sandbox mode.

Yeah, its changable in sandbox, but thats greylisted, so not half as popular.

Upvote 0
Still seems to be some confusion.

At any given time there can only be ~32 zeds active on any one map, regardless of how many reinforcements there are (~320 on HoE wave 10).

Max Zed Count: ~32.

Looking for mods/mutators/whatever to increase this, depending on the wave.

Wave 1-6: ~32
Wave 7: ~35
Wave 8: ~38
Wave 9: ~41
Wave 10: 44

Upvote 0
Right I'm up to speed now, so rather than having the nubmer of active Zeds fixed to a higher value all throughout the game, you want the number of active zeds to increase the more difficult the wave is.

With it now ;)

Interesting suggestion, I don't reckon it would be a massively noticable difference, but assuming there isn't any concerns over performance for lower spec machines or genral server lag then I see no reason it couldn't be looked into.

Upvote 0
That was the reason why they disabled perks on 6+ servers. Sure the specimens would have scaled hp, but there would only be a max of 32 specimens at any given time. The overall health of clots, crawlers, and stalkers and head health of gorefasts and bloats don't vary with player count. So on, say a 32 person server, every player can dispose of those 5 specimens easily, and then group up for the big guys.

I believe performance was a reason why they didn't increase the 32 limit for more players. You can alter that number through sandbox mode but I'm not sure off hand if you can increase it passed 32. Pretty sure you can from what I remember. There is a note next to that box saying higher numbers demand more performance. Entangler said he wanted to make a mutator to modify the MaxZombiesOnce variable in another thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
similar subject, id like to see the waves spawn in a random order, rather than the set pattern that can get quite predictable.
However i doubt this would happen or get whitelisted, as things like the 2 FP + scrake(s) spawns are set up as part of the pacing and difficulty, and while you could get even worse at times, chances are you would be spared onslaughts on many occasions.

Upvote 0
That was the reason why they disabled perks on 6+ servers. Sure the specimens would have scaled hp, but there would only be a max of 32 specimens at any given time. The overall health of clots, crawlers, and stalkers and head health of gorefasts and bloats don't vary with player count. So on, say a 32 person server, every player can dispose of those 5 specimens easily, and then group up for the big guys.

Actually, they disabled perks on 6+ because people were complaining that it was too easy to level on them due to the scaled HP.

Upvote 0