• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Performance when viewing smoke

bazookatooth

Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2009
Will the performance while viewing smoke be better optimized in HOS?

I am in the original RO right now and the performance is still terrible. I have a Q9550 and a 4850 (way beyond what was out at the time when RO was released) and yet the fps will STILL drop down to 25/30 when smoke comes out and firefights happen.

I am just curious if the next installation will still have this problem?

To be clear, i have a solid 90 fps at all times (1920x1080 all details maxed) but when that smoke comes out it just destroys the fps

Last edited:
When I first got this PC (AMD 9950, GTX 260, 4GB RAM) nothing would slow RO down. I'd get 40-50 frame rates in Leningrad with 60 or so players and plenty of smoke.

Now that will drop down to 20-30 frame rates easily with smoke.

None of my other games have seen such a performance hit like RO.

But I think it has more to do with our PCs... :p

But as always smoke is a killer for frame rates in every game.

Upvote 0
When I first got this PC (AMD 9950, GTX 260, 4GB RAM) nothing would slow RO down. I'd get 40-50 frame rates in Leningrad with 60 or so players and plenty of smoke.

well at least it wasn't as bad as the smoke in C&C3. You blow up a building and it just made more and more smoke until you were running at 2spf, no matter how fast your machine was :eek:

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure its about newer hardware/drivers. Smoke never slowed me down in the past but since I reinstalled windows and also installed newer catalyst, it happens that my fps drop pretty hard with smoke.

Edit: Same goes for the dirt/dust trail behind moving tanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

not in source based games.

Upvote 0
I can notice that you haven't played dod:s on a old computer.We called smoke grenades "lag grenades" :D

remember when DoD:S first came out, it was a system crusher compared to 3.1. It was impossible for many people to run at the time, and even today the popularity of Orange Maps servers is based on the performance gain you get from relatively un-detailed maps. Memory is short with this computer stuff isn't it?

When RO first came out I was running it with a single core 1.8 ghz AMD processor and an ATi 9200SE. There were maps I simply COULD NOT play, but that didn't stop me.

Have faith folks....if you can't run this game on all maxed out ultra uber settings on day one....remember, we're in for the long haul with this game.

Upvote 0
remember when DoD:S first came out, it was a system crusher compared to 3.1. It was impossible for many people to run at the time, and even today the popularity of Orange Maps servers is based on the performance gain you get from relatively un-detailed maps. Memory is short with this computer stuff isn't it?

When RO first came out I was running it with a single core 1.8 ghz AMD processor and an ATi 9200SE. There were maps I simply COULD NOT play, but that didn't stop me.

Have faith folks....if you can't run this game on all maxed out ultra uber settings on day one....remember, we're in for the long haul with this game.

It was a PIV with a nvidia 5500 fx I think, but it was funny to throw lag nades :troll:

Upvote 0
I've never really had trouble with smoke grenades in RO to be honest, even on my old X800XT. The effects themselves only comprise of (from memory) 4 main sprites. At the centre where the grenade lands, there's 4 groups of sprite emitters, but they're only tiny and don't live long, they're the ones that are meant to represent smoke pouring out of the grenade. The main smoke is 4 large sprites in a diamond shape around the grenade that fade in slowly while growing, then fade out again. I know it's the transparency calculations that really mess people up, but unless the cards were really old or running really out of date drivers, I'm surprised that people still found them to be problematic.

Upvote 0
I've never really had trouble with smoke grenades in RO to be honest, even on my old X800XT. The effects themselves only comprise of (from memory) 4 main sprites. At the centre where the grenade lands, there's 4 groups of sprite emitters, but they're only tiny and don't live long, they're the ones that are meant to represent smoke pouring out of the grenade. The main smoke is 4 large sprites in a diamond shape around the grenade that fade in slowly while growing, then fade out again. I know it's the transparency calculations that really mess people up, but unless the cards were really old or running really out of date drivers, I'm surprised that people still found them to be problematic.

Yea, if I recall correctly, I had bigger problems with the dust that tanks and other vehicles kicked up when they moved.

Upvote 0