• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design KF SDK Delayed input on surface selection

Kriptonic

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 7, 2011
Greetings KF level editors, got an issue here I cannot explain, now, I've used the Unreal Engine for a long time, I know what I'm doing but this error isn't one I've encountered before.

I got Killing Floor not too long back and decided I wanted to do some mapping, everything works fine on my laptop but when I get back to University and install it on my computer I get the following strange bug:

When I click on a brush, surface or actor, there is a 1 - 2 second delay before it registers the click and highlights the selected actor/surface etc. Movement through the level via camera controls is instant, after a surface has been selected, selecting adjacent walls CTRL+W or floors/ceilings CTRL+F is instant. The right-click menu also has said mentioned delay.

I've verified the integrity of the tools cache files and did a reinstall. Problem still persisting. Again, used the Unreal Editor before, UT2k4, UT3, not encountered it. After searching around I've not found anyone with the same problem as me.

Running Windows 7 x64.

The Fix: Downloaded and installed latest NVIDIA Drivers

Last edited:
well i use win7 64 and don't get that issue as such. Is your PC above and beyond the specs for win 7 because it needs more RAM then XP so there wouldn't be as much left for unreal ed.

What I get, which is much worse imo depending on how big your delay is, when i go to surface properties I can't change anything like scaling, panning, rotating, aligning. And a lot of people have that problem.

Upvote 0
4GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU - E8500 @ 3.16GHz, 3166 Mhz

I can run the UT3 engine perfectly fine. As stated, the editor works perfectly except for the surface selection delay - And that's what I don't understand. I don't really want to set up a virtual machine just for mapping on Killing Floor but I'm stumped for ideas here.

Also that surface properties glitch sounds real nasty, I almost never use textures at their original size.

I imagine being a UED problem, it's going to be out of Tripwire's control?

Upvote 0
it does this crap to me too and i use xp

i think i has something to do with the new nvidea drivers.. at least for me after i got the newversion it started happing to me

i use the nvidea gtx260

on a side note:

when making a large map it's best to cordon off areas by grouping segments of a level and hide them when your not editing them at the moment then when you compile/render what haveyou, just unhide that group

Last edited:
Upvote 0