• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Most disappointing game of 2010?

ME2 isn't a bad game but after Mass Effect 1 I expected a stellar sequel and only got a good game with some terrible design choices thrown in.
More nitpicks:
- Guns need ammo now? Why?
- Squadmates have hardly any dialogue outside of their loyalty missions.
- The Lazarus Project
- More DLC
- Watered down the talents without improving anything
- Crappy gimmicks for each class (Played as Vanguard and Sentinel)

Reactions: Nimsky
Upvote 0
I disagree, the inclusion of ammo means you can't just fire endlessly and have to keep an eye on your "important" ammo (i.e. that super anti-armor pistol that has like 21 rounds).

The weapon system was way better too in general. I wasn't constantly having to switch out guns and ammo types for each gun for every single enemy I came across. When I finished ME1 I was within like 5 items of the absolute limit. (which was 100 IIRC). I do miss some of the crazier mods you could put on though (like the super explosive ammo that overheated your gun instantly but basically blew up everything in a 5 meter radius of whatever you hit... great for sniping).

Plus the DLC rocked. Ya you paid for it, and it was worth it. Lair of the Shadow Broker had probably the most incredible "scenery" (the ship itself + the storm surrounding it especially) I've ever seen in a game.

Personally I thought the characters were way more interesting and fleshed out than in ME1 so I dunno what you're talking about. And I liked the Lazarus project... playing for the not super-clean good guys is good for a change.

Plus the opening was just WOW... looking outside at space while hearing your heavy breathing... amazing.

I dunno what you mean about gimmicks either for classes.

The only serious negatives I can think of are not being able to have extended dialogue options with Katsumi (DLC ninja/jedi chick) and the whole "proble launching" thing. That said launching probes was far less time consuming than having to go on those tediously repetitive side quests with those 2 or 3 map layouts used OVER AND OVER. In ME2 the sidequests were generally quite good (not as good as the main missions obviously, but still... good). Also I think the game needs a difficulty mode above "Insane" cause it ain't hard enough.

I hope in ME3 they can think of a way to get money/resources in an actually FUN way.

Oh and Miranda/Kastsumi > Ashley any day of the week unless you're a hermaphrodite.

As for my most disappointing game of 2010 I purchased... I guess I'd have to say Men of War. I bought it on sale when it was like $5 so it's not I was bawling my eyes out over it lol, but I just thought the interface in general just couldn't handle the gameplay. It felt extremely unpolished. Honestly I'd rather just play CoH, even if it is more "gamey"... it's also more fun. The SP was alright... but eh. I usually don't play RTS games for their SP... the only truly great SP for an RTS I've ever played was SC2 (insane mission design is all I can say and a major surprise at the end in the story). The old CnC games and SC1 had good SP too in terms of their story, but their missions weren't even in the same league as SC2's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would say ME2 aswell. Mostly because ME1 atleast was action-RPG, while ME2 is more like a shooter with very loose RPG elements. Sure it's not bad game and some of the things they improved are pretty good, but the whole streamlining went way too far with some things and the probing minigame is just... stupid. I had more fun roadkilling geth\ramming Mako down some mountains in ME1 even when the sidequests were repetitive than searching for magic pixels to find something useful. I'd rather play Sherlock Holmes game if I really wanted to mess with pixelhunting, because atleast there it's appropriate for the gameplay and plot more than probing uranus.

Upvote 0
I disagree, the inclusion of ammo means you can't just fire endlessly and have to keep an eye on your "important" ammo (i.e. that super anti-armor pistol that has like 21 rounds).

You couldn't do that in 1 either because your weapon would overheat and you would stand there with your pants down. The ammo in 2 wasn't even rare so that you would have to watch your supply. I have no idea why they changed that, they should've been consistent. Alas, just a nitpick.

Personally I thought the characters were way more interesting and fleshed out than in ME1 so I dunno what you're talking about. And I liked the Lazarus project... playing for the not super-clean good guys is good for a change.

No one ever talked during missions, felt lifeless to the point where it didn't matter who you chose to take with you. Squadmates could've interacted more with each other apart from the "choose your BFF while the other one pouts" scenes. Also, calibrations.

The whole Lazarus thing was just... bad. Really, really bad. Fanfiction bad.

I dunno what you mean about gimmicks either for classes.

Charge attack for Vanguard, Tech Armor for Sentinel. Was just kind of umimpressive. I give them props for trying something new.

Oh and Miranda/Kastsumi > Ashley any day of the week unless you're a hermaphrodite.

Yeah, well, would you rather be hanged or electrocuted? No idea about Katsumi but I don't understand what people see in that balloonhead with the heart of Putin. Not that the space Republican was any better though. Kelly was the nicest and best looking out of the bunch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nimsky
Upvote 0
Surprised to see ME2 here.

I agree the maps where a bit small, and the story was not as good as ME1, but you guys must have played some really good games if ME2 was your worst. :p

The question was most disappointing game, not the worse game.. you expect a game to be godly and then the disappointment is bigger. no one is disappointed from a ****ty game that turned out to be ****ty

Upvote 0