• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can someone explain why Minecraft is so fun?

NoxNoctum

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2007
From what I've read about it (went to their site), it seems to just be a "build crap" game, like sim city or something but from first person on the ground. What's so appealing? I've seen threads about it pop up literally everywhere, even on a guitar forum!

I was never fond of stuff like Rollercoaster Tycoon, Sim City, The Sims, etc... Something different about this that makes it so popular?

Coolface_Minecraft_by_Dimandia.png

I think it may have something to do with the ability to make whatever you want.

Upvote 0
Don't worry, the game isn't that good. I tried the free version and I came to the conclusion that the game contains zero fun factor at all. I tried to like it but there just isn't much to do in Minecraft. Exploring isn't fun because... well, there isn't much to explore and everything looks the same. There aren't any goals either so anything you're doing in the game is for jack ****. Yes, you can build stuff but after you've built a house and dug a tunnel to a cave only to find out that there's not much to do underground either, building will become boring as well. By then you've probably grown tired of punching trees and rock for the 7,271,923th time.

The only thing Minecraft is good for is spending days or weeks making something like you see in that picture and post it on a forum for all to see. But what a waste of time that is. Think of it. You're spending days. Making. A. Trollface. In. Minecraft. That's a bit sad. The end result is nice but the process of building that crap is boring. At least with a 'normal' game you're having fun throughout the entire game. Now you might say "Well, I think it's fun." and that's fine. But punching wood and rock for days on end isn't my idea of fun. I know the Minecraft fans will downvote this post but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this opinion.

Definitely one the daftest games I've ever played.

Upvote 0
Welp.

It's fun because you start out in the middle of this randomly generated world with nothing but your bare fists to shape the earth.

Punch some trees down, make wooden axes, chop trees down with wooden axes, make things, dig holes, build shelter from the dark and monsters, dig more holes, make steel tools, cut more trees down, make armor, dig more holes, build a castle out of mined stone, etc.

You won't really appreciate it until you put some time into it.

Upvote 0
Welp.

It's fun because you start out in the middle of this randomly generated world with nothing but your bare fists to shape the earth.

Punch some trees down, make wooden axes, chop trees down with wooden axes, make things, dig holes, build shelter from the dark and monsters, dig more holes, make steel tools, cut more trees down, make armor, dig more holes, build a castle out of mined stone, etc.

You won't really appreciate it until you put some time into it.

This ^

I also have to agree with Nimsky's post because that holds the same thoughts as I do.

I can understand why people like minecraft and what it would take for me to start liking it but... with my current stance on it and after playing it, I decided that I don't want to bother.

Same goes for Gmod.

Upvote 0
It's a sand box game. That's the appeal.

It's like Dwarf Fortress, except sans all the mechanics that make the world live and all the things that make it detailed. People do the same thing in DF. Carve out a fortress that looks like a cat's head in a 3d visualizer, complete with chutes that puke out newborn kittens and a tube that makes magma flow from the cat's mouth.

I haven't gotten into Minecraft simply because it lacks actually features that underpin the sandbox. I remember when it first came out and it didn't even have all the junk it has now. He had to rush to add features to a "thing" that wasn't even a game at the time, because people started demanding it. Original Minecraft was about as simple and direct as pong.

I think people that enjoy it are hardcore sand box fans, for one, and get a nostalgia vibe circa Super Mario 2, for two. That combination, and the fact it's a bedroom studio, means it's been wildly more successful than the actual game seems to warrant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0