• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO:CA event?

What exactly makes it more charming?

Is hard to tell, we don't know the answer ourselves, maybe the grittier textures, the more precise ironsights, the louder and more metallic sounds, the map layouts that allowed much more room for maneuver and flanking, the "cleaner" graphics. Or maybe a combination of them all. But the simple act of shooting and killing someone feels more rewarding for some reason.

A good example could be in the tanks, the textures and sound looked more metallic, and without the fireball meteor that happens when you shoot, it really felt like a big chunk of metal penetrated the enemy tank and destroyed it. I don't know, it just feels much more solid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is hard to tell, we don't know the answer ourselves, maybe the grittier textures, the more precise ironsights, the louder and more metallic sounds, the map layouts that allowed much more room for maneuver and flanking, the "cleaner" graphics. Or maybe a combination of them all. But the simple act of shooting and killing someone feels more rewarding for some reason.

A good example could be in the tanks, the textures and sound looked more metallic, and without the fireball meteor that happens when you shoot, it really felt like a big chunk of metal penetrated the enemy tank and destroyed it. I don't know, it just feels much more solid.

Like DH?

I never played the mod so I don't understand, but I get your point, I like the look of UT99 more than the newer ones for example.

Upvote 0
Like DH?

I never played the mod so I don't understand, but I get your point, I like the look of UT99 more than the newer ones for example.

No, I don't think is like DH, btw, you should really get it installed for the next time.

Oh, and other thing, a very important and overlooked change in gameplay. Is that Ostfront encourages to play constantly proned in a battlefield with a snail slow advance from cover to cover.

Combined Arms encourages dynamism, ambushes, reflexes, prediction, etc. Its far more friendly to clan matches, because it has a that feeling of "match".

Granted that Ostfront represents battles more like "battles", but a lot of the fun and the charm was lost in the process.

EDIT: More and more I'm supporting Zet's theory about the cover everywhere, so much cover in the maps, together with the leaning ability, being able to move proned in ironsights and weapon resting system took out a lot of dynamism.

Move forward slowly and try to clear all the enemies behind those covers, wait till they show a pixel of their heads (and now is harder because the ironsights are much thicker) resulting in long and tedious firefights in the same places. Only worrying about what was in front of you, because the new type of game clearly forms very stale choke points and impassable front lines. While in Combined Arms, everything was resolved much quicker, and mobility was the key.

Last edited:
Upvote 0