• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

TW Market this game

From what i have seen in the igromir video, Ramm-Jaeger isn't letting anyone play the game because they have an exclusive deal with "someone", now this seems like it could be a bad decision as in my eyes if its a relatively small website/company it could really back fire as your only tapping into a small market but since we don't know who it is we will have to wait.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From what i have seen in the igromir video, Ramm-Jaeger isn't letting anyone play the game because they have an exclusive deal with "someone", now this seems like it could be a bad decision as in my eyes if its a relatively small website/company it could really back fire as your only tapping into a small market but since we don't know who it is we will have to wait.

probably PC gamer

Upvote 0
TWI have allready stated that this game will have marketing, infact i belive they said Ro2's marketing budget is bigger than the entire development budget was for Ro1 and KF combined, so they will be spending money on getting it out there.

But Ro2 is still in Alpha last we heard, and most companies don't want to launch a big marketing campaign based on Alpha photage, because it's all still subject to change, not actually done, still has placeholders in it and so on.

So it's comming, but it's probably not happening till the game is clouser to release, when it's in a solid Beta stage they feel is reprisentative of the final product.

In the meantime, they are doing what they are supposed to be doing at this earlier stage, attending conventions, doing interviews, releasing screenshots and info, and making some Teaser trailers, the big marketing push comes later.

They have promised "Someone" an exclusive to be the first to play it (which will probably lead to the first Preview of the game that gets released, i imagine), but that's all they said, that "Someone" gets to "play it" first.

Once that "Someone" has played it though, then the exclusive deal has been met, and the floodgates will open for anyone else, so it's not just going to be one site/magazine that gets to have a go at this, it's just that one site/magazine gets to have the first go at it.

Upvote 0
At this stage the good ol' word-of-mouth will do the trick, and it's really doing the trick as anyone I talk to about HoS seems to really want the game. Right now, while TW is busy coding and testing, the best marketing strategy is we, the gamers. Spread the word to your mates, to your clan, to other clans, to everyone. Right now there's still a huge amount of PC gamers unaware of this gem of a game and we should try and correct that.

Hell, if the word is spread far enough TW won't need any marketing since the game will sell itself at that point. :IS2::IS2::IS2:

Upvote 0
I think the strategy is concentrating the hype train very close to release, because that way you create maximum impact and release the game before the hype dies down...

ArenaNet was releasing interesting news and info on Guild Wars 2 pretty much every single week, or twice a week, and a new profession each month... but they've been almost silent for 3 months, and no new profession in 3 or 4 months... the hype is dying down, and the community is getting very disappointed and/or skeptical.

Everybody (including me) had forgotten how cool the game looked and now everybody thinks about how they are going to get ripped off by the paid DLCs.

In other words, the consumers are like drug addicts. =P

Upvote 0
Hyping the game this early would be a huge mistake in promotion. Right now the release date of RO2 is unknown and will probably be pretty fluid given the needs of the developers, so it is more difficult to promote. Also right now we are in the middle of the holiday season which is a time when big Christmas blockbusters are taking all of the limelight -- any marketing would be totally wasted. Finally you don't really want to start hyping a game until a few months prior to release. It's too soon.

Tripwire has stated multiple times that they have an extensive marketing plan, unlike their previous games due to their basically non existent budget. I think we can trust them to figure out how to market their own game. So far they have done things right -- they have "been seen" in magazine interviews and news has gradually come out through conferences like Gamescom and PAX. Marketing right now is at the word of mouth stage, and I think that's exactly where it needs to be right now.

Reactions: skittlesareyum47
Upvote 0
That would be good but I have a feeling it might be Rock Paper Shotgun.

i'm with Zets on it being PCGamer.....RPS got their exclusive with the tank reveal, i'd think TW would like to spread the wealth a little.

since Yoshi hinted that one of their writers was taking a look around TW HQ last month, i'd expect to see a nice article coming out within the end of the year. :)

Upvote 0
PC Gamer would be a great option and I disagree that word of mouth will do for now, the game is currently due for release within 4 months, that isn't a long time.

Look at another game due around the same time lets take Brink for example, they have multiple videos explaining all the features including gameplay footage(none of this shaky cam stuff) they are allowing people to play it at conventions, its available for pre order on steam with pre order gifts.

HoS has 1 video I believe that isn't a hand held cam maybe 50 screenshots and currently no option for pre order on steam.

And yes this is where you say well Splash Damage is alot bigger than TW blah blah blah Yes no doubt its true but if TW want to compete with the big fish they have gotta start acting like one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
PC Gamer would be a great option and I disagree that word of mouth will do for now, the game is currently due for release within 4 months, that isn't a long time.

Look at another game due around the same time lets take Brink for example, they have multiple videos explaining all the features including gameplay footage(none of this shaky cam stuff) they are allowing people to play it at conventions, its available for pre order on steam with pre order gifts.

HoS has 1 video I believe that isn't a hand held cam maybe 50 screenshots and currently no option for pre order on steam.

And yes this is where you say well Splash Damage is alot bigger than TW blah blah blah Yes no doubt its true but if TW want to compete with the big fish they have gotta start acting like one.

4 months seems grossly optimistic, yeah i know the placeholder date on the Steam page says q1 of next year, but i seriously doubt that'll happen.

Also, i would not considder Brink's marketing campaign one to emulate, because they have been teasing us with that game for far too long now, and the hype has long since died on them, i don't really see people hyped for that game anymore, it's gone from "wow lookit that! DO WANT!" to "yeah i'm keeping my eye on that one, looks like it might be good and stuff".

Upvote 0