• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Battlefield refugee

Napkin

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2010
Hey guy I heard of this game on the BF3 forums. With dice going the console port rout with all its games (BC2) I thought i would look into this game more.

I was excited about BF3 and Homefront but it looks like both will be console ports.

This game looks very cool. I really want to be able to set up machine gun nests and enjoy good tank play.

Only thing that i may dislike is the whole live and die in the tank. How will they control the number of tanks? Cant everyone just spawn as a tank.

One other thing. The WW2 environment has so many cool things when it comes to vehicles. I hope they implement more than 2 tanks and fast. I am no WW2 historian but id like to see the KING tiger, the sefl propelled anti tank german tank (i forget name) etc.

I would also love to see player controlled guns.
AT Guns
http://www.lovettartillery.com/pics/37mm_US_AT_Gun.jpg
Heavy Machine gun
http://www.nazarian.no/images/wep/495_sg43.jpg

Maybe limited # placed by the commander or can be built by players.

I am really looking forward to a no "3-d spoting" motion sensor meat-grinder

Reactions: slavek and OneDuck
The number of tanks on a map can be controlled by the mapper setting the number of tank commander roles available.

The vehicles in RO2HoS are very work intensive to make, since they have fully modeled interiors. There will be 2 tanks at release (Panzer IV and T-34/76) with 2 more unannounced tanks and 2 APCs shortly after release as a free update.

Reactions: slavek
Upvote 0
One other thing. The WW2 environment has so many cool things when it comes to vehicles. I hope they implement more than 2 tanks and fast. I am no WW2 historian but id like to see the KING tiger, the sefl propelled anti tank german tank (i forget name) etc.

Anything that is not in the Stalingrad time-frame (August '42 - Feb '43) probably would have to be done by modders. TWI won't model a King-Tiger just for the sake of including it.

Regarding the AT-Guns: I'm not too sure if TWI will include them. Static AT-guns have been done by modders in Red Orchestra: Ostfront.

Static HMG nests have been confirmed, ie MG-34's on dreibein and Maxim 1910's.

One thing that you have to remember is that RO always had a quite unique approach to balance. Tanks and weapons don't have to be "balanced", they rather balance out the maps by class numbers and map-layout.

PS: Welcome to the forums! :)

Upvote 0
"Hey guy I heard of this game on the BF3 forums. With dice going the console port rout with all its games (BC2) I thought i would look into this game more.

I was excited about BF3 and Homefront but it looks like both will be console ports."

I don't think DICE is going to release Battlefield 3 as a console port. When I looked up info on it, the first Battlefield: Bad Company was on a 1.0 Frostbite engine, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 1943 are on the Frostbite 1.5 engine(this is why the P.C. versions have DirectX 11) Battlefield 3 has the Frostbite 2.0, while the consoles are stick with the Frostbite 1.5 engine. So I don't think you have to worry, unless DICE changes minds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"Hey guy I heard of this game on the BF3 forums. With dice going the console port rout with all its games (BC2) I thought i would look into this game more.

I was excited about BF3 and Homefront but it looks like both will be console ports."

I don't think DICE is going to release Battlefield 3 as a console port. When I looked up info on it, the first Battlefield: Bad Company was on a 1.0 Frostbite engine, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 1943 are on the Frostbite 1.5 engine(this is why the P.C. versions have DirectX 11) Battlefield 3 has the Frostbite 2.0, while the consoles are stick with the Frostbite 1.5 engine. So I don't think you have to worry, unless DICE changes minds.
If you follow the developers comments on their forums and twitter, it's blatantly obvious it's going to be a console port.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums.

The reasoning behind the "live and die in tank" is because in Red Orchestra 1, people would bail out when they knew they were going to die. While people did this in real life sometimes, it sucked in game. People would run into fields or into a forest and hide. The end result would be that they would be worthless to their team most of the time and it was frustrating for the opposing player.

Upvote 0
It's still a hoppity, hitscan hindered hoedown though isn't it? :rolleyes:

I love RO and other realistic shooters but it's not all I play. I'm a big BF fan so nobody will persuade me it sucks!

Everyone has an opinion though and I know most hardcore RO players probably won't rate Battlefield very highly. I've sunk hundreds of hours in RO and the Battlefield series, both very different styles of games really.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums guyz and the Holy Grail of WW2 FPS games, i named RO2:HOS ! :IS2:
There will also be the release later on of the Pacific front : Rising Storm, based on the mother game made by TWI.
Snow and Sun ! hell yeah ! :D
But will there be Light Tank M3:IS2:....enquiring minds would like to Know...and yeah Diggers:D

Upvote 0
I love RO and other realistic shooters but it's not all I play. I'm a big BF fan so nobody will persuade me it sucks!

Everyone has an opinion though and I know most hardcore RO players probably won't rate Battlefield very highly. I've sunk hundreds of hours in RO and the Battlefield series, both very different styles of games really.

Yeah it's just me, I hate it :)

Upvote 0