• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Commando Tips

I hit level 6 about 2 hours into the new content, because I play A LOT of commando. This is what I've seen:

For levels 4 or 5 commando, stick with the bullpup/AK combo. You save money this way, and the AK is pretty damned great still despite being overshadowed. Oh, and here's a very VERY important note I'm going to make here and it was mentioned in the changelog. I'm too lazy to link it so go find it in the news/announcements section:

THE HEADSHOT SYSTEM HAS BEEN COMPLETELY REDONE.

What does this mean for commandos? It means the bullpup is ACTUALLY A VIABLE WEAPON now on hard. I'm not joking. Since headshots are a lot more obvious in obtaining as well as MAKING A SPECIFIC NOISE when you land them, the bullpup has a very distinct advantage over the AK now - less recoil, easier to nab double-tap kills on clots/gorefasts/stalkers on hard and suicidal. Not only that, but you can actually deal DECENT damage to higher specimens such as Husks or Sirens via bursts of well placed headshots. That being said, a bullpup/ak combo is literally all you need now until you can afford to buy a SCAR. When you DO have enough cash, here comes the struggle - the bullpup really is a viable backup to the SCAR, moreso on hard, because of the reasons I explained above. Since the SCAR has a rather small clip (25) it makes sense to keep a lower powered but high capacity, low-recoil weapon as backup.
Personally, I have since settled on the AK as a backup due to the higher power. This is the case to make for the AK: again, due to the revamped headshot system, you can actually manage to do a good chunk of damage to a scrake before it rages (6player hard), and assuming there's one other person firing SOMETHING, you can swap over to your SCAR, line up visually on the head (the sights on the SCAR give way too much recoil for my tastes, I run/gun with it) and UNLOAD. Goodbye Scrake. This same strat works to a lesser degree with FP's. No joke. I outlived an entire 6 man team on Office with the AK/SCAR combo, wave 5, 100 specimens left.

Another important thing to do while using this combo - use your ammo to your advantage, reload ONLY THE FASTER RELOAD WEAPON when under duress. The SCAR has a FANTASTIC reload time, possibly faster than the bullpup, to make up for its measily clip. Despite this, use the other weapon to take out the smaller baddies (clots/gorefasts/crawlers) and use that ammo how you please. Once you run out, THEN swap out to the SCAR and use nothing more than single/burst shots. Properly swapping between rifles guarantees you to keep ammo in your clip, along with strategic reloading. As a level 5-6 commando, I have been top in kills in every single game I've played thus far.
Sorry for messy paragraphs, but that's essentially what I've been doing and its worked INCREDIBLY well so far.

Upvote 0
I play commando alot of the time on KF and I tend to use a specific set of weapons that seem to work great for me.

Bullpup + SCAR (used to be AK) + pipebombs (was not previously in my roster)

The bullpup's a nice fall back when you've just expended your SCAR's clip and have a few of the mid-tier monsters still bearing in on you and the SCAR is of course insanely powerful. I use the pipe bombs to close off an area behind me by placing a bomb in, say, the doorway and then another when that blows up. This means I don't need to worry about my team mates not taking down a FP or skrake before its already gouging its name in my back because the bomb tends to take out what's left of its health before it gets there.

Upvote 0
5.5/5.5 mil dmg. 2986/3600 Stalkers. FML.

Anyway. As a lvl 5 Commando I usually play Commando at the start, get an AK by the second wave (for husks), then maybe body armor and slowly work up to a SCAR. After I get the SCAR and some money I usually switch to Demo, as the SCAR/Launcher is a great setup for Demo

Waste of money getting body armour imo, at least until you have spare cash (or wave 7). Its

Upvote 0
When you are a level 6 Commando, you start of with the AK-47. When the 1st wave is complete i buy a bullpup. Next wave i buy armour, then save up for the SCAR. The scar replaces the bullpup. i find this a very good combination. Me and a friend survived 7 waves on suicidal, just me and him. me with my combination, and him with just a crossbow (lvl 6 Sharpshooter)

Upvote 0
I start off with the AK.

If i did well that wave, i'll buy a SCAR. Next wave i'll buy armour, unless i found one earlier. Then the AK.

Bullpup is nice, though i prefer the uncluttered sights of the SCAR.

I'll stick with the AK for the majority of the game, switching to the SCAR when it's absolutely essential, or more viable.

I find it silly when people are running around with a SCAR on full-auto. They've not realised how to use it yet :D

Upvote 0
I used to play commando a fair amount, but with the SCAR nerf + Mac-10, and my reset perks, it seems completely useless. Is 6 commando really that much better than 0 nowadays? Like a SCAR headshot doesn't kill a lot of specimens on hard anymore the way it used to.

And I never really see anybody using commando anymore..

Upvote 0
I used to play commando a fair amount, but with the SCAR nerf + Mac-10, and my reset perks, it seems completely useless. Is 6 commando really that much better than 0 nowadays? Like a SCAR headshot doesn't kill a lot of specimens on hard anymore the way it used to.
Commando 6 is better than Commando 0. The problem is that it's no longer near any other 6.

I wouldn't bother levelling it until they revert the SCAR... which doesn't look like it will be happening at all.

Upvote 0
Commando 6 is better than Commando 0. The problem is that it's no longer near any other 6.

I wouldn't bother levelling it until they revert the SCAR... which doesn't look like it will be happening at all.

According to the 2nd or 3rd beta installment, the Scar actually did get a recent pimp-up. :)

So its not exactly where it was pre-patch... but it now does about 15+ more damage per shot.

And Commando imho is still one of the best classes in the game. Just use the AK47 and Bullpup and be able to twitch.

Upvote 0
SCAR/AK is a beast combo still.
Even though they're essentially the same weapon.

One has higher DoT, one has higher DPS.
One has better CQC capabilites, one has higher ranged capabilites.

Also, you can carry a MP7 or katana with this combo and heal or scrake-kill.

Though i recommend using the SCAR over the katana for scrakes to save your katana ammo.

Upvote 0
Though i recommend using the SCAR over the katana for scrakes to save your katana ammo.

:p

Anyway, Katana is going to a lot less attractive off-perk pretty soon. And with the Scar halfway rebuffed it looks like Bullpup/Scar is still the best loadout. Pipes will most likely be more expensive so those 2 +machete will equal about the power of the original Pup/AK/Knife.

It's really a shame that Commando has a more limited role then the other perks, and is borderline less useful, because imo he's the most fun to play after Zerker or Firebug. I love how the automatics behave in this game (compared to most Source games).

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Scar is useless.. armor is useless keep that in mind..

Here's the strategy I always use when I am on an acceptably good team.. I am also level 6 commando...

Wave 1: Spawn drop all ak47 .. drop money to team members.. nade self respawn with another ak47 ..
Wave 2: same as wave 1
Wave 3: same as wave 1
Wave 4: same as wave 1
Wave 5: same as wave 1
Wave 6: same as wave 1
Wave 7: Do not suicide this round.. instead go buy yourself a crossbow (your ally should give you money at this point since you have been giving them money all the time).. go back to where your stack of ak47 is.. at end of wave drop crossbow
Wave 8: same as wave 7
wave 9: same as wave 7
wave 10: same as wave 7
wave 11: same as wave 7 additionally switch class to SS you have 3+ crossbows to own the Patriarch with

Upvote 0

Here's the strategy I always use when I am on an acceptably good team.. I am also level 6 commando...

Wave 1: Spawn drop all ak47 .. drop money to team members.. nade self respawn with another ak47 ..
Wave 7: Do not suicide this round.. instead go buy yourself a crossbow (your ally should give you money at this point since you have been giving them money all the time).. go back to where your stack of ak47 is.. at end of wave drop crossbow
wave 11: same as wave 7 additionally switch class to SS you have 3+ crossbows to own the Patriarch with

You shoudn't need to kill yourself, I have no problem making enough money in the first wave for full AK ammo, a bullpup and full ammo, and body armor. Armor is never useless, it has saved me more times than I can count, and I always buy it wave 2. I have almost 800 hours in, and I can count on one hand the number of times I didn't buy armor on wave 2. For higher waves, with a pup and AK, the only time I start running out of rifle ammo is the tail end of wave 10, and I'm a crack shot with my 9mm, so even that isn't a huge deal.

I used to dislike the SCAR, but it actually isn't all that bad.

I am referring to suicidal for my mention of previous tactics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

What

You sound like the worst Commando ever.

Reactions: CandleJack
Upvote 0
What

You sound like the worst Commando ever.

Xbow as a commando? and selfkilling... thats pretty scummy play..

You're a commando, you have no need for a Xbow, you're there to keep the thrash away from the slower and heavier hitters.

When i'm playing commando, i either stick near to the demo to spot stalkers and kill things through the smoke, near a support or sharpie to mop up the little things and let them spike the big ones to death.

Upvote 0